android
Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 PM

Default sleep mode app? for Samsung Player

If I lightly press the power button it will just shut off the screen and every thing else (wifi, bt, music) is still playing, if I hold the power button it totally shut down the device. Is there an app that would implement a sleep mode ie shut off sound and the radios (wifi, bluetooth, gps) and so to speak suspend procesing (kinda like sleep on a PC)? The closet I can find is flight mode, but I think a player like this in contrast to a phone should have a sleep mode.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-22-2012, 08:28 PM

I think there is an airplane mode in settings. Turning off wifi pretty much does the same (since there is no cell radio in these). I use GO Launcher and it has a drawer of apps running, that I just kill when I want to put everything to "sleep". I only turn my device off maybe once a week at most.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:10 AM

I use the CPU Tuner app for that purpose. It has a ton of options--it's basically a GUI for cpufreq--but the relevant ones are you can shut off background sync and wifi and bluetooth, turn on airplane mode, set the min and max cpu frequencies, and set the cpufreq governor, all to whatever you want when the screen shuts off (you can also set all of this based on the battery percentage).

I have mine to a conservative governor and everything off but pulse on wifi and background sync (which means every 90 minutes wifi turns on for 5 minutes to allow apps to sync and then turns off again--actually even those ranges are customizable). With everything off and the max freq to 100mhz, my 4.0 only loses about 3% battery overnight.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:40 PM

So, being rooted and using this will give you 1% battery readings (and more accurate than default 10% ones that get stuck at 80%)? If so, time to root!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woer View Post
I use the CPU Tuner app for that purpose. It has a ton of options--it's basically a GUI for cpufreq--but the relevant ones are you can shut off background sync and wifi and bluetooth, turn on airplane mode, set the min and max cpu frequencies, and set the cpufreq governor, all to whatever you want when the screen shuts off (you can also set all of this based on the battery percentage).

I have mine to a conservative governor and everything off but pulse on wifi and background sync (which means every 90 minutes wifi turns on for 5 minutes to allow apps to sync and then turns off again--actually even those ranges are customizable). With everything off and the max freq to 100mhz, my 4.0 only loses about 3% battery overnight.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
So, being rooted and using this will give you 1% battery readings (and more accurate than default 10% ones that get stuck at 80%)? If so, time to root!
If you open the app, it does show battery percentage down to 1%. I'm not sure if it's more accurate; I installed it pretty soon after getting mine so don't really have a read on the default one. It seems accurate to me based on my use of the device.

If all you're looking for something that sits on the screen to show the battery percentage down to 1% differences, there are other options. Battery Circle sits in the top bar and shows 1% readings. Widgetsoid lets you add a widget that does the same. Delayed Lock also has the option to show it on its 'simple lock screen'.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Nope, tried all those, they show 10% drops.

Quote:
If you open the app, it does show battery percentage down to 1%. I'm not sure if it's more accurate; I installed it pretty soon after getting mine so don't really have a read on the default one. It seems accurate to me based on my use of the device.

If all you're looking for something that sits on the screen to show the battery percentage down to 1% differences, there are other options. Battery Circle sits in the top bar and shows 1% readings. Widgetsoid lets you add a widget that does the same. Delayed Lock also has the option to show it on its 'simple lock screen'.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Nope, tried all those, they show 10% drops.
Interesting, they're all 1% drops on mine. Which model do you have? I have a yp-g1.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Going back to this, yesterday I modified the "screen off" plan in CPU Tuner to turn on airplane mode (and modified each other plan to turn it off) and also set the max speed up to full (because mp3s skip with only 100mhz as the max). I also changed 100mhz to draw only 800mV in Kegrak.

I went to bed with 99% battery and woke up with 99% battery. That's right, not even a 1% drop. For saving power with the screen off, this is the way to go!