android
Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM

Talking Just got my SGP for $179 at BestBuy! Here's how...

Hey everyone,

I just got back from BestBuy. Haven't even opened my SGP 4.0 box yet, LOL, but I had to share this with the forum in case anyone else is about to buy an SGP.

Just print this 10% off coupon, and use it at checkout. You will get the 4.0 for $179, and the 5.0 for about $215.

http://www.bargainez.com/coupon/10-o...ntable-coupon/

Even after paying tax, it's cheaper than Amazon! :-)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-27-2012, 02:51 PM

That's good. Picked up my 5.0 there last month for $210.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:58 PM

I checked the prices a few days ago for the SGP 5.0 on amazon and it was $215

Old 01-29-2012, 11:20 AM

The Samsung Galaxy 4.0/5.0 are overpriced devices. They are end-of-life single core cpu devices with an outdated Android OS. The Lenovo Idea Pad A1 and the soon to be released Asus MeMo (quad core cpu) offer much better specs and performance at about the same price. The only problem is that the A1 and MeMo are 7" devices, too big for my needs. A number of wifi only pads are slated to come to the US market in Q2 2012. I expect a large price decrease on the Galaxy 4.0/5.0 very soon. Any day now.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp View Post
The Samsung Galaxy 4.0/5.0 are overpriced devices. They are end-of-life single core cpu devices with an outdated Android OS. The Lenovo Idea Pad A1 and the soon to be released Asus MeMo (quad core cpu) offer much better specs and performance at about the same price. The only problem is that the A1 and MeMo are 7" devices, too big for my needs. A number of wifi only pads are slated to come to the US market in Q2 2012. I expect a large price decrease on the Galaxy 4.0/5.0 very soon. Any day now.
1. The CPU of the devices are not that old, as the iPod Touch uses the Apple A4, a single core 1 GHz processor underclocked to 800 MHz.

2. Gingerbread isn't that old, as it is the most used Android version, with over 55.5% of Androids using it, followed by Froyo, with 30.4%.

3. I doubt they will lower the price anymore, as they already did to compete with the iPod, and Apple will probably not lower their price.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
The Samsung Galaxy 4.0/5.0 are overpriced devices.
They are priced at what the PMP market, as defined by the iPod Touch, will bear.

Quote:
They are end-of-life single core cpu devices with an outdated Android OS.
Single core, yes but far from end-of-life. Just because something isn't cutting edge doesn't mean that it isn't perfectly adequate for the task at hand (same goes for the OS.)

Quote:
The Lenovo Idea Pad A1 and the soon to be released Asus MeMo (quad core cpu) offer much better specs and performance at about the same price.
Yeah, that is an entirely different category of device. A more apt comparison would be something like the Sony Walkman Z1000 and it's dual-core CPU but even that will be shipping with Gingerbread (and bizarrely has no camera.)

Old 01-29-2012, 07:28 PM

If I don't see a 5" device in offered Q2 that I like better, I may very well buy a Samsung Galaxy 5.O. Smart phone/pad product development is evolving at light speed. Devices become technologically obsolete very rapidly. If you're looking for a 5" device you're very limited, all the new devices seen to be 7" or larger. If I can't fit a device in my pocket it wil stay at home in a drawer, so 7" is no good for me.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
If I don't see a 5" device in offered Q2 that I like better, I may very well buy a Samsung Galaxy 5.O. Smart phone/pad product development is evolving at light speed. Devices become technologically obsolete very rapidly. If you're looking for a 5" device you're very limited, all the new devices seen to be 7" or larger. If I can't fit a device in my pocket it wil stay at home in a drawer, so 7" is no good for me.
The SGP 5.0 is excellent for it's price, and comparing it to 7" tablet devices and damning it's hardware is ridiculous. If you don't like it don't buy it.

Take a peek at the Cowon Z2 instead,... But I'm steering clear of Sony. If they don't release the Z Series in my country in the 64gb capacity they can STILL KMA!!! They've released a 64gb model for another series in the EU, and they didn't do squat for the USA/Canada. I guess we don't count,...and I refuse to import and have no valid warranty.

Personally, I feel Samsung is actually doing a pretty good job ATM.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Personally, I feel Samsung is actually doing a pretty good job ATM.
I agree with that statement. The Sony might have a dual-core processor, but it has no camera (which is must on most device nowadays, as QR codes are becoming more popular) or Micro SD slot. Cowon is also late for the competition with the Z2, but if you really don't need a camera, it should be a good PMP.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 PM

While I would have loved to have paid less, I didn't see any product that would fill the roles I had in mind for my SGP at any price at the time. Still don't really and most of the competitors are either more costly or less appealing. I'm still quite happy with having exchanged some of my cash for the device.