android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 AM

Default SGP 5.0, problem installing alternative text to speech engines

SGP 5.0, problem installing alternative text to speech engines, options greyed out.

Hi I recently got one of these great devices, I'm really interested in getting text to voice working with SVOX which has a much more pleasant voice than the standard Google Pico ttc engine.

Normally on my other phone, you in stall Svox speech engine, go into text to speech settings, check a box to activate the engine with a tick and then choose a default speech engine which appears as a shortlist of installed speech engines.

However on my Galaxy player, it won't let me check the tick box for the different voice engines I have installed. And in the default engine only shows the standard Google Pico tts. absolutely dying to get this working. all the setting work perfectly on my phone, but my phone is not powerful enough for the speech not to stutter.

Incidentally the standard Pico voice engine does work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-15-2012, 08:48 AM

Under the engines section at the bottom of the speech settings page (you have to scroll down to see this part), SVOX has to be selected. There are also some additional SVOX settings here. Worked for me.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:43 PM

Ivona also works well.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatch View Post
Under the engines section at the bottom of the speech settings page (you have to scroll down to see this part), SVOX has to be selected. There are also some additional SVOX settings here. Worked for me.

I appreciate your help, though everything I need to tick is still greyed out. It's encouraging to know that it can work, which means there must be some sort of software conflict or something installed which is causing the trouble.

Could I ask you which model and version of android you are using I have a ypg70 running android 2.2

It's driving me nuts I so want this feature

Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 PM

I'm running 2.3.5 on my Player, but I put Ivona voices on my 2.2 phone too. You need the app, and the voice. You need to check the default engine 1st, install voice data if you haven't, check Ivona (or SVOX) and pick the voice (4 check marks I believe). If somethings greyed out, it's probably not installed. If you install a Nav app, they come with their own voices. I don't think Google Nav uses anything you install.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 PM

I am also on 2.3.5 with the YP-G70. Mine was originally 2.2, but I flashed it to 2.3.5. As tcat suggested, I think you should be able to get it to work on 2.2. But if not you might want to consider making the jump to 2.3.5 anyway. It made a lot of things better on my unit with the notable exception of compass stability.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 AM

to help any others, I did a factory reset and could not get the voice data to install. At least with android 2.2 of the UK version it doesn't work.