android
Old 06-14-2010, 02:47 PM

Default Headphone jack problems

ok, so my fuze has been a pain lately. I am a normal teenager and dont abuse my mp3 players too much, but my fuze has developed a really annoying problem. THe headphone jack is really loose, so whenever i walk the audio cuts in and out and it makes me want to punch something really badly. SO i take apart the fuze in an attempt to bend the prongs a little so it will make better contact with the headphone jack. 30 mins later i put the thing together again and the scroll when doesn't work any more. Im pissed as hell. This mp3 player has the lousiest build quality i have ever seen. The audio connector is trash, the player is a pain to put together and the thing is overall a mess. Granted the player was great for the two month i had it, but i doubt i will never buy another sansa player again.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibot View Post
ok, so my fuze has been a pain lately. I am a normal teenager and dont abuse my mp3 players too much, but my fuze has developed a really annoying problem. THe headphone jack is really loose, so whenever i walk the audio cuts in and out and it makes me want to punch something really badly. SO i take apart the fuze in an attempt to bend the prongs a little so it will make better contact with the headphone jack. 30 mins later i put the thing together again and the scroll when doesn't work any more. Im pissed as hell. This mp3 player has the lousiest build quality i have ever seen. The audio connector is trash, the player is a pain to put together and the thing is overall a mess. Granted the player was great for the two month i had it, but i doubt i will never buy another sansa player again.
I had one for almost a year, and it worked perfectly the whole time, so you couldn't have been that gentle with it. However, since you took it apart and tried to fix it, you voided the warranty, which could have gotten you a replacement player for free.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:09 PM

I love it. YOU take it apart and screw it up, yet it's somehow Sansa's fault?

Let me guess...you kept your headphone cord wrapped around the player when you weren't using it, correct? That's typically what kills the headphone jack.

I had my first Fuze for a little over a year during which it bounced around in my car, truck, pocket, backpack, luggage, accompanied me to the gym and baseball field on numerous occasions and even survived several lawn-cutting "adventures". I wish it had a meter to keep track of the hundreds of hours of enjoyment it provided.

Based on the above, I'm going to chalk your Sansa experience up to operator error and abuse.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You should have sent it back to Sandisk for warranty replacement.

I have had a Fuze for 21 months and never had any proplems with it, except for the wheel sticking on one occasion, which I quickly fixed.

Next time an mp3 player breaks, don't open it yourself unless the warranty is over.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:08 PM

haha
ok first of all, i fully realize that i have voided the warranty, and i knew that going in. I attempted to fix the loose headphone jack myself because i needed the mp3 player to work for my drum major auditions today, so i didn't have time to send it in for a warranty.

The reason i posted this is so that people would learn about a potential problem with the mp3 player. Someone posted saying how terrible it is to wrap the headphones around it, and how its completely my fault. While this is a valid argument, something needs to be realized. An mp3 player is something that is not designed to be carried around in a plush case. Mp3 players appeal to a younger market, which is a group that puts a lot of wear and tear on the devices that they use. Saying that leaving the headphones in is my fault is similar to a situation where a head gasket in a car blows from wear and tear. The person may have been pushing the car hard, however the car should be designed to take that kind of abuse.

All i am saying is that potential buyers should beware that the headphone jack in the sansa fuze is of poor quality. The general construction and the integrity of the jack leaves much to be desired, and compared to all other audio jacks i have seen in my life, it is terrible.

So if you plan to buy a sansa fuze, or own one, treat the audio jack like with the up most care and respect, or else its screwed.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Don't wanna get in the middle of the "whose fault it was thing..." - both sides have merit IMO.

Still, I think most folks would be wise to consider a minimal amount of care and feeding and TLC for their toys, especially electronic ones, which can be particularly delicate. I hope you are wrong about the alleged subpar headphone jack on the Fuze as I own one. I have had zero issues and don't anticipate having any, but then again, I keep all my IEMs in their cases and generally try to avoid exposing my Fuze [and BB and cell phone, etc] to any kind of careless handling.

But of course, accidents will happen. :-D

Interestingly, if you want to research an mp3 player with a definite headphone jack issue, Google the Zen Micro as it suffered a widely known problem with this exact thing.

I know - because I had one... :-)

Anyway, I do hope you can either fix the Fuze or perhaps get another one somehow.

cheers,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-15-2010, 03:45 PM

thank you very much for the kind reply. It is actually interesting that you had issues with the creative micro, as i had the creative zen nano plus, and that thing was a tank.
if you look here you can see the audio port
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...sembled-09.jpg
compared to something like this
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...d2-apart-5.php
the leads inside the sansa are quite flimsy, and seem to bend easily, as opposed to the audio ports on my sound card and on my old zen nano plus

any way, any things i should try to get the keypad working on my fuze?

Old 06-15-2010, 05:17 PM

I dunno, I tend to treat my Fuze like I would any MP3 player, it gets banged around and it's been dropped... luckily no issues with it so far. I've only had it ~2 months, though.

As for the keypad, I've never taken apart a Fuze but if it's anything like my e200v2 was you're probably out of luck. Just make sure all the little contacts are touching... Being a little more specific might help too. Does it move at all? And if so, does it ever move the selection on the screen (i.e. only if I press on the right hand side).

Things weren't exactly made to take apart :P . Which is good and bad, I miss having an (relatively) easily replaceable battery.
SoundMagic PL50|SoundMagic PL30|Bang&Olufsen Form 2

Old 06-16-2010, 01:15 AM
Rockbox Developer

I've broken many fuzes already and I confirm what the OP says: Fuzes are very weak, and I've heard this opinion from another rockbox developer (kugel), and also from someone who buys loads of broken players in order to make new working ones: he could only make a few working players out of all the spare parts he had, compared to other players.

Although I might not have been very gentle with them here are the problems I have:

- The jack connector is loose on one of my Fuzes, although I can still use it fine if I don't move the jack plug too much.
- I once broke the screen only by having the fuze in my (front) pants pocket .. some pressure on the front case is enough to crack down the LCD
- The button connector is *very* hard to put back once you have opened the case, although it's still possible.

You have to put the ZIF connector in place by putting the front cover at some special inclination, hold your breathe, make sure to be calm because you'll have to make several attempts.
When it's done just push the lever with a knife or small screwdriver to lock and turn the fuze on to see if insertion has been done correctly.
You should be able to pull (gently) on the front cover: the connector shouldn't move from the socket.

If buttons still don't work, pull the lever and try again (it will NOT work on the first time, murphy's law, so don't worry and keep on trying)

And in the end if the front cover don't work don't worry: the home button still works so you could make a custom build of rockbox with only one function assigned to this button: NEXT => Sansa shuffle! (I have done this already on a fuze without screen, but kugel gave me a working button board so now I can control it using the voice interface of rockbox)

Last edited by funman; 06-16-2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: f****ing post editor won't insert newlines with javascript turned off

Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM

thanks for the help.
as of now i have the mp3 player fully apart and i have disconnected the scroll wheel from the front panel. THis makes it way easier to try to plug it in. When i plug in the connector, nothing happens, the blue back light doesn't even show.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:17 PM

The fuze's build is cheap, but htis is why its so cheap. Buying a 50$ played that has that performs as well as this player does cant pay for great quality.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 PM

You most likely broke one of the solder joints if you or someone u know has the tools and know how you could most likely fix it. I've worked on many different players and its a common problem.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I totally see what you mean

Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher1 View Post
I love it. YOU take it apart and screw it up, yet it's somehow Sansa's fault?

Let me guess...you kept your headphone cord wrapped around the player when you weren't using it, correct? That's typically what kills the headphone jack.

I had my first Fuze for a little over a year during which it bounced around in my car, truck, pocket, backpack, luggage, accompanied me to the gym and baseball field on numerous occasions and even survived several lawn-cutting "adventures". I wish it had a meter to keep track of the hundreds of hours of enjoyment it provided.

Based on the above, I'm going to chalk your Sansa experience up to operator error and abuse.
Oh..... your not supposed to do that? YAY ONE YEAR WARRANTY!!!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:01 PM

There is a thread in the Clip forum about headphone jacks going bad. I would assume the same jack is used on the Fuze. The jack on my Fuze seems snug and hasn't given me any trouble, but the jacks on the two Clips in our household are very loose, which makes me question their longevity.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:26 PM

I have to agree with the original poster. I have a Fuze 8GB which I use everyday on my way to work in my car and at the gym. For the last month the headphone jack has been kind of flacky. I've experience the same issues the original poster has experience.

Now I can't barely listen to my player anymore unless I don't move and remain still while I listen to the player. I purchased this player in the summer of 2011 and it's now the beginning of 2012. So as far as the player being durable, I tend to question that. I have babied this player. I take very good care of my electronics. I purchased a rubber case and InvisibleShiled screen protector for it when I first bought it. I never dropped the player, yet the headphone jack is gone!

I will call Sandisk tomorrow to get a new one under warranty. I can't call today because they are not open on Sundays.

What sucks is that, I will loose the invisibleShield when I send the bad one back.

I'll see what happens with Sandisk.
Sansa Fuze 8GB v2 - Brand new in box unopend. Backup player.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:16 PM

Default UPDATE To my earlier Post (Above)

Call Sandisk and explained to them my issue. They created an RMA for a replacement. I asked them if I was going to get a refurbished unit, and they said, "no". Brand new player in the box.

I have to send the broken one back today and should have my replacement back within 7-10 business days. Hopefully this one will not have the headphone jack issue.
Sansa Fuze 8GB v2 - Brand new in box unopend. Backup player.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
thank you very much for the kind reply. It is actually interesting that you had issues with the creative micro, as i had the creative zen nano plus, and that thing was a tank.
if you look here you can see the audio port
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...sembled-09.jpg
compared to something like this
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...d2-apart-5.php
the leads inside the sansa are quite flimsy, and seem to bend easily, as opposed to the audio ports on my sound card and on my old zen nano plus

any way, any things i should try to get the keypad working on my fuze?
Funny... I've had just the opposite. I have an old Fuze with a screen that broke (IDK how, I'm guessing it was stepped on), but the headphone jack is still in perfect condition. I also got a Creative Zen Micro from my sister with a broken headphone jack. I guess she just didn't want a broken player, which is why I also got a V Plus with a permanently black/blank screen (stupid OLEDs).