android
Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Cant figure out how to bring up settings for camera to set it up to send pictures to external sd card.Where do i go on the device to get the camera> settings>tool set you you show?Cant find anything in settings for camera and when i start up camera the menu button doesnt give me a menu
Open the camera app. Various icons should appear on the margins of the screen. Tap the gear icon on the lower left of the screen (when held in landscape mode). Tap the wrench icon that appears near the top center of the screen. Then tap the arrow down on the right side of the screen. You should now see an entry for storage. Tap the Grey box marked Internal memory. Then tap Memory card.

You are now configured to save images to the removable card.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-18-2012, 06:58 AM

Thanks,i would never have found that on my own

Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Is there a hidden setting like this that sends all future music that will be imported to the card rather than internal memory?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Is there a hidden setting like this that sends all future music that will be imported to the card rather than internal memory?
Where the music is imported to and what settings are available will be dependent on the App you are using to import your music. As far as I know the music app that came on the device does not have an import feature. Of course if you are just moving it from a PC or such, just use a file manager as mentioned above and drop it where you want it.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM

Oddball apps might drop music in "media" on the internal SD, but typically it will ask where you want it sent. Your player should find it where ever it is.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
OK, but I found it charges just as fast (which is not fast) through USB, and you can charge and move files at the same time. I moved 9 gb in less than 30 minutes.
That's pretty fast. It took nearly 30 minutes to transfer about 3.5GB over to the Costco-obtained Sandisk 16GB class 6 SD in my SGP4. I was thinking that transfer speed would be a reason to use a card reader rather than the device, when transferring lots of files.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustusG View Post
That's pretty fast. It took nearly 30 minutes to transfer about 3.5GB over to the Costco-obtained Sandisk 16GB class 6 SD in my SGP4. I was thinking that transfer speed would be a reason to use a card reader rather than the device, when transferring lots of files.
That does seem a little on the sluggish side but it does depend on what you are sending over. It will take a longer to transmit a bunch of small files than it will to transfer a few big ones due to file system overhead.

For example, on larger files (300MB+) I'm typically seeing ~10MB a second but that drops to ~6.8MB on smaller files (4-6MB.) For reference, I have a Transcend class 6 8GB card in my SGP 4.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Has anyone that has changed the camera setting to save pictures on the external card noticed any speed improvement with the SGP 4.0 camera?

I haven't tried it myself but am slightly annoyed at the lag between taking a picture and have it complete. I know some of that time is the focusing, but wasn't sure if the internal memory may also be a lagging factor.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:52 PM

I have a class 10 external card in my SGP 5 and I have not found any lag in taking a photo and its being saved. If you have a slower card it is possible that you may see some delay. I am not sure how fast the internal sd memory is. While a card less than Class 10 should not be a factor in playing music or even videos, with any digital camera you want as fast a card as possible to save your photos to.

An aside - I find the stock camera app to be just fair and the photos are not great. I started using Camera 360 app (free from the Android Market) and it takes beautiful photos and has a lot of features (zoom still does not function on the SGP).

Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
I have a class 10 external card in my SGP 5 and I have not found any lag in taking a photo and its being saved.
<snip>
I think stryfewalker is referring to the shutter lag or the time it takes from when the button is pressed to when the picture is actually taken. Even in bright sunshine the delay on the SGP 4.0 is quite bad. It isn't uncommon to to see delays upwards of 2 seconds, even on sunny days. It may not sound like much but when shutter speeds are measured in fractions of a second, that delay is an eternity.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the camera settings, tcat.

In my experience, app2sd does not move apps to the external sd card.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Thanks for the camera settings, tcat.

In my experience, app2sd does not move apps to the external sd card.
Yes it does, as long as the app allows it. Otherwise, they need to remain in phone memory.