android
Old 02-11-2012, 01:42 AM

Default Wifi Reception Weak

I have been finding that the wifi reception is weak on the SGP 5.0. For one thing it is very directional. I can have three bars sitting next to my router, walk out of the room and go down to two bars, turn the top of the SGP toward the router and go back to three bars. Two rooms away with the door closed, I drop from one bar to none and then back to one. There is still service at one bar but it is slow. I have a new N router. It is on the second floor. On the first floor I have one bar on the SGP, but my laptop has four bars signal strength. It is a little disappointing.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-11-2012, 02:21 AM

There are only 3 bars to use to indicate the Wifi strength. Therefore each one would have to be 33%,so if it only shows two bars,then that actually is alot,just that it can't show the amount of signal strength like a phone can with 1-5 bars. Either way even at one bar the loading speed is the same,at least for me,and download speeds are the same,so that means the signal is indeed abit strong.

But this is why WiFi tools are handy to get an accurate reading on the actual Wifi strength,like the app Wi-Fi Analytics Tool for instance:

https://market.android.com/details?i...HBzLmFtcGVkIl0.

It tells you the accurate signal strength and also comes with a small wifi signal widget that you can use instead of worrying about the 3 bar signal.

Last edited by Lagoo56; 02-11-2012 at 02:49 AM.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:48 PM

It is when the one bar drops to no bars that concerns me most. I installed a repeater in the house and that has helped - but the repeater is borrowed and I am not sure that I want to invest in one just for the SGP. With 1 bar I get slow browser response and I hesitate to download without getting closer to the router. I did install a wifi analyzer last night and it shows that my router signal to be pretty much as I observed with use.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
It is when the one bar drops to no bars that concerns me most. I installed a repeater in the house and that has helped - but the repeater is borrowed and I am not sure that I want to invest in one just for the SGP. With 1 bar I get slow browser response and I hesitate to download without getting closer to the router. I did install a wifi analyzer last night and it shows that my router signal to be pretty much as I observed with use.
You might have to look into the Static IP route.....GeorgeP1111 suggested that to me. There's a post here somewhere about it.....I haven't tried it yet, but I haven't done any streaming so it hasn't been too much of an issue .

Old 02-11-2012, 06:08 PM

Two things. Don't be overly concerned with signal strength unless it is causing you problems. e.g. you can't do streaming audio or video.

Second, as suggested above, some sort of tool for analysing your WiFi signal is a must. It can help identify problems like if your router is transmitting on a crowded channel for example.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:39 PM

This wi-fi app was recommended by Fred Langa, a longtime tech writer for many computer mags and now with Windows Secrets online mag.

http://www.amazon.com/farproc-Wi-Fi-...9003268&sr=1-1

Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
This wi-fi app was recommended by Fred Langa, a longtime tech writer for many computer mags and now with Windows Secrets online mag.

http://www.amazon.com/farproc-Wi-Fi-...9003268&sr=1-1

This was the wifi app that I downloaded Friday night. I downloaded the other recommended on this thread on Saturday. Both are good. The amped app - the first one recommended is a little clearer in seeing which channel is best to switch too. Both are good and I may keep the both on my SGP 5 for a while (though the first one cannot be moved to the SD card and the one that is recommended in this response can.

Thanks to all for your replies. I think that I will skip the repeater and be happy with the single bar when I am not in the same room as the router. It works fine - and I have been able to stream video without a problem. It is very interesting to see the actual signal strength when you use one of these apps.