android
Old 02-08-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezas View Post
I have owned a Sansa Fuse and Clip (including the new clip) and 2 different Galaxy phones (both with the Wolfson DAC) and the SQ of the 5.0 player with the yamaha chip is not as good as either the Sansa's or my 2 Galaxy phones. But it's not horrible either. It just lacks some 'air' and/or 'transparency'.
I've owned a Fuze for years too. It's hard to beat the sq of that unit. I agree that the SGP lacks some "air or transparency". There's just not quite as much detail/separation/atmosphere.

I typically echew any EQ settings. To me, the recording artist mixed the music with great intent and for the most part I want completely flat playback to accurately represent that.

I don't know if anyone here remembers the 70's, but as stereo equipment grew up, equalizers were one of the components that were "cool" and listeners would make all kinds of aberrations in the sound using these things.

I think EQ is appropriate if you're genuinely making up for deficiencies in the drivers/speakers or room characteristics. I.e.; if there's a "dead-spot" in your room and you need to bump up a 1/3 octave band at 500 Hz by a few dB. But not just to arbitrarily color the sound. That's just me.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 PM

Since we're talking about the Wolfson VS Yamaha chip. IMHO my SGP 5.0 sounds just as good as my iPod 5th Generation with a Wolfson chip inside it,or even better in this case. Soundmagic E10's+5.0+PowerAMP=Bliss

Old 02-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
Since we're talking about the Wolfson VS Yamaha chip. IMHO my SGP 5.0 sounds just as good as my iPod 5th Generation with a Wolfson chip inside it,or even better in this case. Soundmagic E10's+5.0+PowerAMP=Bliss
I think the Wolfson hype is way overblown.....especially on certain other websites....

Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I think the Wolfson hype is way overblown.....especially on certain other websites....
I agree - it's just fanboi-izm!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I agree - it's just fanboi-izm!
It's not fanboi-izm, you can find a lot of rmaa measurements which show the differences between the yamaha codec and the wolfson wm8994.
Differences in measurements are objective, but not always can be heard depending on headphones quality, ear training,...
Another important thing for audio quality is how the board is designed (for example how much digital and cpu noise is coupled with audio lines).
Finally, not all wolfson dac are great, but the wm8994 really shines .

Old 02-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
It's not fanboi-izm, you can find a lot of rmaa measurements which show the differences between the yamaha codec and the wolfson wm8994.
Tiny differences, the kind that only fanboys are able to hear.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Well, all I can say as a SGP4.0 user with SteveS' kernel and Voodoo Control installed, is that this is the best sounding MP3 player I ever owned.

In the past I used a Sansa Clip, iPod Touch 3rd and 4th gen, a Tapwave Zodiac (PalmOS based PDA & game/media device) and various PocketPC's.

However without SteveS' kernel and Voodoo, the SGP4.0 is just OK (better if you use Poweramp).

Old 02-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
Differences in measurements are objective, but not always can be heard depending on headphones quality, ear training,...
Another important thing for audio quality is how the board is designed (for example how much digital and cpu noise is coupled with audio lines).
Finally, not all wolfson dac are great, but the wm8994 really shines .
I don't own a Galaxy Player 4.0 or 5.0, however, I own a Captivate that has the Wolfson wm8994 chip. I can tell you that my Captivate with Voodoo is far superior to my Ipod Gen5.5 or my friend's Galaxy S2 in SQ. That's the main and only reason that I held on to my Captivate (as my main music player) until something better coming down the pike.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm listening to the speakers on the 5.0 right now, with PowerAmp, but no EQ or anything, and they aren't that bad, actually. Not hi-fi by any means, but better than my Touch's single speaker.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I'm listening to the speakers on the 5.0 right now, with PowerAmp, but no EQ or anything, and they aren't that bad, actually. Not hi-fi by any means, but better than my Touch's single speaker.
I was surprised by how loud they were the first time I turned the volume up all the way just to test them out of curiosity

Old 02-12-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperP View Post
Well, all I can say as a SGP4.0 user with SteveS' kernel and Voodoo Control installed, is that this is the best sounding MP3 player I ever owned.

In the past I used a Sansa Clip, iPod Touch 3rd and 4th gen, a Tapwave Zodiac (PalmOS based PDA & game/media device) and various PocketPC's.

However without SteveS' kernel and Voodoo, the SGP4.0 is just OK (better if you use Poweramp).

100% agree, voodoo sound is a must

Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 AM

If only I was brave enough and smart enough to figure out how to install it

Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Wolfson makes some good stuff, and some no so good stuff. Theres no reason to blindly prefer them, have to test to see how each chip performs.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Wolfson makes some good stuff, and some no so good stuff. Theres no reason to blindly prefer them, have to test to see how each chip performs.
Just like all brands of headphones

Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
If only I was brave enough and smart enough to figure out how to install it
There's a tutorial on here and at xda