android
Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 AM

Default Walkman NWZ-S764 Low Volume Problem

I bought a walkman Sony NWZ-S764 and the sound is very low (at 30). I read something about EU limiter and a special menu ... I tried all button combination but i didn't success to access it ... Please help me

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator

--Thread moved to the appropriate subforum and renamed "Walkman NWZ-S764" doesn't let anyone know what the problem is.--

Welcome to ABi

Your question about how to access the service menu and get around the volume cap has been asked a number of times. I haven't seen a answer that's worked in my memory. The last I remember there was someone who found a way to enter the service menu on one of the models but the option to change the volume had been changed.

It's best to search and check on that. My memory may be faulty. You can search the different Sony forums here in case there's been a solution posted I've missed. The search terms "volume limit" or "service menu" should pull up some results.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 AM

Thank you very much for your replay but i'm searching for hours... I didn't find something useful just how to enter in demo menu... I still waiting for replays or any advice thank you

Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Not sure if this one works as I've read that sony has changed service menu access and the volume limit option ... http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2...nu-access.html

***BTW we can not be responsible if your player stops working or if you encounter any problems***

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 AM

Nop i tried it ... it did'n provide me access to the menu

Old 02-21-2012, 11:56 AM

I didn't think so, as I said I read they changed it and the option to remove the limiter within the service menu was changed as well, regardless I don't have a sony to test.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:58 AM

so it's impossible to take out the sound limit?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera_Neagra View Post
so it's impossible to take out the sound limit?
I didn't say that, I said "I read that sony changed it." I'd wait and see if anyone comes up with the hack unless you can return your player for a full refund if you are not satisfied with it.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM

... u're right but i still have a little hope:-s Maybe someone could help me. Tomorrow i will try a phone to sony for a little help

Last edited by Pantera_Neagra; 02-21-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:46 AM

bla bla bla it's a software issue bla bla bla we can't help you bla bla... any help from someone who really care about the users?...

Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you using an efficient earphone? If not, then switching to one might give you much more volume.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Are you using an efficient earphone? If not, then switching to one might give you much more volume.
Not sure but I bet it doesn't make a huge difference when it has volume limiter enabled in the firmware. As I'm sure the included buds are efficient and I've heard others complain.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:55 PM

If you reset the unit (back up all music 1st) does it give options for choosing which country in the set up menu? If it does, choosing a non EU country should remove the EU CAP limiter.

Worth a try?

Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari33 View Post
If you reset the unit (back up all music 1st) does it give options for choosing which country in the set up menu? If it does, choosing a non EU country should remove the EU CAP limiter.

Worth a try?
Sony doesn't do firmware updates that way. There's no option to change region during setup and the firmware is hardware specific to the region where it was sold. The only firmware that will work on a Sony is the one that's specific to that model.

The only workaround that worked on older models was to enter the service menu and make a change there. On the last generation that has caused changes to the radio region settings that no one has posted a way to reverse. It seems on the current gen even that's shut off. No one has posted a way to enter the service menu and make the needed changes.

That's not to say it can't be done. Just that no one has found a way and let the rest of us know.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Sony doesn't do firmware updates that way. There's no option to change region during setup and the firmware is hardware specific to the region where it was sold. The only firmware that will work on a Sony is the one that's specific to that model.

The only workaround that worked on older models was to enter the service menu and make a change there. On the last generation that has caused changes to the radio region settings that no one has posted a way to reverse. It seems on the current gen even that's shut off. No one has posted a way to enter the service menu and make the needed changes.

That's not to say it can't be done. Just that no one has found a way and let the rest of us know.
I see, thanks.

My X-series has a volume limiter (AVLS) in the menu which I can choose to have on/off.
It sounds like the EU Cap regulations must have become more stringent since 2010, if not Sony are making a huge mistake....

Old 02-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Administrator

AVLS and the volume cap are two different things. AVLS is a menu item where you can choose to limit your maximum volume, purely voluntary. The volume cap is hard coded into the firmware. If you have a Sony volume capped player you can set the AVLS to anything you want it still isn't going to past the level set by the cap.

There's no way for me to tell if the AVLS limit on my player without the cap is the same as a EU volume limited player. If it is I could live with it as long as I was using IEMs. I don't get close to maxing it out before it's too loud. It loud enough most of the time with full size closed cans.

There's times though when I feel like rocking out for a song or so and I just can't crank things up the way I want to. That's not often but enough to where I'd be looking for something different it I couldn't get past the limit when I cared to.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:22 AM

i accidentally found if u push hold and 5xleft 5xplay 5xright u enter in something called DEMO version. So maybe the test menu isn't erase just the button combination changed ...

Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Administrator

That's why we keep saying that it might be possible but nobody that knows how has shared that info...yet. Who knows? You may be the one that finds the key combo to get it done. If you do please pass it along. A number of people would like to raise the volume on theirs.

One thing that happened on the last generation was that the radio frequencies shifted and made the radio useless. Some people felt it was worth it and others were really bothered by losing the radio. If you do crack this could you see if your radio and all the other features still work? It's best that people know what they might break if they get into the service menu.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:33 AM

I sent an email to sony describing the problem of 'low sound (EU limit) and I was told this:

Dear Mr. X

In reference to his statement regarding his Walkman, We regret to inform you that Sony makes absolutely no codes to enter the menu 'of service of its products in order to
change product specifications, for which it was approved.
So please be assured that its Walkman function properly for its specific construction

We need that code!!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM

another cute mode to say: we don't want to give you the code...