android
Old 02-22-2012, 06:47 PM

Unhappy Clip+ & Rockbox 3.10 gives "unknown device" error with USB connection

PC: WinXP SP3 with last month's security patches
Clip+: Set for MSC connection under OF

I just updated my Clip+ from Rockbox 3.9.1 to 3.10 using the RockboxUtility. Note that I updated the Utility from 1.2.10 to 1.2.12 prior to updating Rockbox on my Clip+.

When I connect to my PC via USB, my Clip+ boots (as expected) into Rockbox, but I get the following error balloon from Windows: "USB Device Not Recognized -- One of the USB devices attached do this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message." Clicking the message opens a dialog box with all my PC's available USB ports off the root hub. A recommendation at the bottom of the box states to try reconnecting the device, then replacing it if Windows still doesn't recognize it. (right, uh-huh). Double-clicking on the listing of "Unknown Device" brings up a properties dialog box, where it states under Device Status, that no drivers are installed for the device in question. My Clip+ charges while connected via USB under Rockbox as usual, that remains constant.

I have tried reconnecting my Clip+ multiple times without any change in behavior. I have also tried reinstalling Rockbox 3.10 via RockboxUtility, also without solving the problem. If I boot into the OF then connect via USB, my Clip+ is recognized as a USB mass storage device as expected; and my USB port of choice appears not to be a factor because all of them give a good connection with the OF.

So what am I missing? Is my particular Windows setup looking for a driver in the wrong location? Am I missing a driver specific to Rockbox? I'm completely baffled by this behavior, as for all accounts and purposes, a Rockbox USB connection should "just work" with 3.10.

All advice and assistance gratefully accepted --
--
Ocelot

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 PM

As far as I know, 3.10 doesn't support USB connection. I could be wrong, though.

You might try using a current build and the latest v4.0 bootloader, that should definitely work.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
As far as I know, 3.10 doesn't support USB connection. I could be wrong, though.

You might try using a current build and the latest v4.0 bootloader, that should definitely work.
Yes, the USB support wasn't finalized until after 3.10 had already been out for a while. I just updated both of my Zips to the current build today, and the USB connection continues to work without fail.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Lightbulb An oops on my part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Yes, the USB support wasn't finalized until after 3.10 had already been out for a while. I just updated both of my Zips to the current build today, and the USB connection continues to work without fail.
Ah-ha. That explains things; and my misconception of what 3.10 contained for updates.

I'll give today's build a try and see how things fly after that.

Many thanks --
--
Ocelot

Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
Ah-ha. That explains things; and my misconception of what 3.10 contained for updates.
FWIW, there is a changelog:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/MajorChanges

3.10 is from October, so a lot of newer stuff isn't included in it.