android
Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Did I read somewhere this will not work with the next 'generation' of SDXC cards? I did a quick search without finding what I think it read.

Steve
I've read the same thing, and just like you, I can't remember where....lol

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Did I read somewhere this will not work with the next 'generation' of SDXC cards? I did a quick search without finding what I think it read.
I think thats probably from when we were speculating about our SD card driver a while back. My reading of the spec is that even the next gen one is backwards compatible with SDHC (although in SDHC mode its transfer rate is capped to something like 100MB/s IIRC). Have to check once they start making the actual cards.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:41 AM

Well, my last words on the subject: Sandisk formally support microsd/hc cards up-to 32GB. in the manual they say 4GB and up, but on their own support site they state up-to 32GB.
Any other tricks or methods to support cards with greater capacity are not supported on the Fuze/Fuze+/Clip/Clip+/Zip/Zip+ players by Sandisk.
Also, I suspect that formatting the new SDXC cards with a different file system will be like trying to get a race car to pull a horse carriage, it's crippling their speed because they are not used to their intended specifications.
Last, the higher capacity is not very usable considering most people use lossy formats like mp3/ogg which means a gigantic number of files surpassing the limits of both the regular firmware and rockbox's. That's my two, three cents.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulderfox View Post
Well, my last words on the subject: Sandisk formally support microsd/hc cards up-to 32GB. in the manual they say 4GB and up, but on their own support site they state up-to 32GB.
Any other tricks or methods to support cards with greater capacity are not supported on the Fuze/Fuze+/Clip/Clip+/Zip/Zip+ players by Sandisk.
Also, I suspect that formatting the new SDXC cards with a different file system will be like trying to get a race car to pull a horse carriage, it's crippling their speed because they are not used to their intended specifications.
Last, the higher capacity is not very usable considering most people use lossy formats like mp3/ogg which means a gigantic number of files surpassing the limits of both the regular firmware and rockbox's. That's my two, three cents.
I had a 64GB Zune HD and it had room for less than 7,000 of my MP3 files. And I believe the limit you speak of in Rockbox is the limit of folders, not files.....configurable up to 10,000.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 AM
Administrator

You still don't get it. This has been said before. Regardless of what you "suspect", it works. Because you don't like that it works isn't going to stop it from working.

Because sandisk doesn't support a feature doesn't mean someone else isn't able to make it function. Sandisk hasn't even got .m3u playlists functioning properly and they have always worked in Rockbox.

My response to the last person that insisted larger cards didn't work properly and was citing Sandisk and the SD card association holds here I believe
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Arguing from authority doesn't work very well here. So what some association says it can't be done? People here tend to work with what can be done rather than what someone says can't be done. It's created some bricked devices and caused the unwary to jump into things they regretted but the results are often considered worth the risks. See Rockbox.

From the first day the standard was published it was conjectured that it would be possible to do what razorblader has done. Someone that has made the decision to use Rockbox voided their warranty the moment they installed the bootloader. They aren't real likely to back away from attempting to use a SDXC card in that Rockboxed player or be much concerned about the possibility of not being able to use it in a compliant device again.
Your insistence it doesn't work simply doesn't mean much in the face of multiple reports from credible sources that it does work. It's good that was your last word on this subject. Inaccurate information like yours won't go unchallenged. People come here to find out what can be done, not read about suspicions of what can't be done.

BTW the Rockbox file "limit" probably won't be reached anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
In rockbox the max is whatever you can have on a fat32 file system, which I think is somewhere in the millions.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Not really, no.

Quote:
You'll hit the 2TB limit of SDHC before you hit the file limit in rockbox.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:32 PM

Someone confirmed today that quick-formatting a 64GB SDXC card as FAT32 allows it to work fine with the rockbox SDHC driver. So the limit in rockbox should be 2TB. The sandisk firmware will probably handle that as well, though the maximum file limitation in it make using disks larger then 64GB fairly useless IMO.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM
ABI Invaluable

/me salivates at the prospect of a 2TB card

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Someone confirmed today that quick-formatting a 64GB SDXC card as FAT32 allows it to work fine with the rockbox SDHC driver. So the limit in rockbox should be 2TB.
You're just full of good news today!

Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
/me salivates at the prospect of a 2TB card

Just think how long it would take to update the after loading it with music...

Old 02-24-2012, 05:30 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
Just think how long it would take to update the after loading it with music...
Now that storage is settled, where the hell are we going to find a battery that lasts long enough

Old 02-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Update? What update? Oh, you must mean that barely noticed disk activity that happens in the background as you enjoy your music.

Updating the database in Rockbox isn't like the OF. The files are accessible as soon as you boot. The database updates in the background and doesn't interfere with normal operation.

To top that off you don't have to use the database at all. If you never initialize the database, it never refreshes. The file browser works just fine if your music is well organized.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 AM
ABI Invaluable

lol skip good point, I didn't even think of his post like that, guess I'm not use to thinking in terms of the OF