android
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 AM

Smile *SOLVED* I Need Help After Washing Sony NW-S746

Hi,

Recently, I accidentally forgot to remove my mp3 from my trouser's pocket when i did my laundry

Amazingly, after dismantling it and drying it out under the sun, the mp3 player powered up like normal

But seems like im not able to charge it, and and the following battery icon appears.

Does anyone have a clue what it is or where i can get a battery replacement other than sony?

Edit: My solution is http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68793

Last edited by WalkGood; 04-04-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Solved

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Administrator

--Thread titled changed. Please use descriptive tiles in the future. "Sony NW-S746" isn't searchable and doesn't describe the issue.--

The only time I searched for Sony DAP batteries I found them on eBay.UK. Sorry I don't remember the vendors name. IIRC the search terms were "Sony NWZ S639 replacement batteries".

Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 AM

This happened to one of our devices once, went into the pool and similarly it worked fine after fully drying but the battery was fried so I just replaced it. That said, this place sells sony batteries but I did not see your model (NW-S746) there. You should try emailing them to see if they can source one or have an alternative that fits/works.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
--Thread titled changed. Please use descriptive tiles in the future. "Sony NW-S746" isn't searchable and doesn't describe the issue.--

The only time I searched for Sony DAP batteries I found them on eBay.UK. Sorry I don't remember the vendors name. IIRC the search terms were "Sony NWZ S639 replacement batteries".
Sorry about the title. There was more to it, but my hands was too fast at hitting the enter, and i couldn't redit the title after that. Thanks though for renaming it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
This happened to one of our devices once, went into the pool and similarly it worked fine after fully drying but the battery was fried so I just replaced it. That said, this place sells sony batteries but I did not see your model (NW-S746) there. You should try emailing them to see if they can source one or have an alternative that fits/works.
I dont know how you gave me the idea to open the back cover of my mp3 player, but i did. In fact, i googled the battery part number as in the picture below.

And bam!!!
Looks like this (http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/1124...with-Wire.html) store is selling it!

Its on the way to my door step, and once i change it, i'll give an update!

Last edited by fubu233; 03-07-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 AM

Let's hope that it's not your charging regulator chip that has shorted/fried during the wash.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
Let's hope that it's not your charging regulator chip that has shorted/fried during the wash.
I hope not too! If it is, there's no way of changing the chip right?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubu233 View Post
Sorry about the title. There was more to it, but my hands was too fast at hitting the enter, and i couldn't redit the title after that. Thanks though for renaming it!
Not a problem, but you can always edit the title of a thread you start. Use the Advanced options in the Edit menu.

Here's hoping you'll be able to add *SOLVED* to your title once you get the new battery. Good Luck.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Not a problem, but you can always edit the title of a thread you start. Use the Advanced options in the Edit menu.

Here's hoping you'll be able to add *SOLVED* to your title once you get the new battery. Good Luck.
Ahh dangit! Missed that part of the edit option

Will remember to add that once its solved!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:55 AM

Hey guys, so its been nearly a month, and the battery has just arrived. So i had it changed by myself. Pop'ed in the USB cable, and it started charging back like new. No more thermometer battery icon.

Thanks for everything guys, seems like the new battery changed solved it!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
... seems like the new battery changed solved it!
Congrats, always nice to hear of a happy ending

*not sure if you took pictures along the way, but if you did it would make for a nice tutorial for the walkman forums.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Administrator

You took apart again to share this? . Most have just said they didn't take pictures, sorry. This was very generous of you . Thank you.

I wouldn't think twice about if the pictures and directions are clear enough. I can see every important part I would need to work on and the directions are straightforward and clear. Anyone that can't get it done from this tutorial probably shouldn't be doing it themselves anyway.

Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
You took apart again to share this? . Most have just said they didn't take pictures, sorry. This was very generous of you . Thank you.

I wouldn't think twice about if the pictures and directions are clear enough. I can see every important part I would need to work on and the directions are straightforward and clear. Anyone that can't get it done from this tutorial probably shouldn't be doing it themselves anyway.

Thanks again.
Its the least I can do.

Your welcome buddy!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 AM

fubu233 great job and I'm impressed you went thru the trouble again. We should move this post and make it a stick thread for the trouble you went thru, thanks! Let me know if you don't have a problem with that and I'll make it happen. We can always link it back to your initial post via a link after we've move it.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
fubu233 great job and I'm impressed you went thru the trouble again. We should move this post and make it a stick thread for the trouble you went thru, thanks! Let me know if you don't have a problem with that and I'll make it happen. We can always link it back to your initial post via a link after we've move it.
Hey buddy, your most welcome to stick it, share it or post it somewhere else. I don't mind at all as it may help others as well!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Hey buddy, your most welcome to stick it, share it or post it somewhere else. I don't mind at all as it may help others as well!
Made your sticky here and I edited your first post to include the link.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 AM

Marvelous! A million thumbs up!

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Marvelous! A million thumbs up! Thanks!
The least we could do for your effort and like you said, hopefully it will help others