android
Old 03-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Default My new Fuze+...meh.

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I've been reading it for a couple of years for the great support and ideas I've found for my ZVM 30GB. For purposes of portability at the gym four years ago or so I bought a refurb 2GB Sansa C250 from one of the Sale-A-Day sites for $14 and it has been a real trooper. The small capacity means I've had to reload it frequently so I wouldn't end up sick of my tunes and the horrible choice of background color on the display is still a pain, but one I'm used to. I've replaced the battery once for about the price I originally paid for the whole unit so pretty cheap still.

Then, one day in a moment of carelessness I somehow managed to crack the plastic over the display with a resulting bit of pixel loss on the LCD, but nothing serious. It still works but I figured I'd look for a higher capacity player to take to the gym. I found an 8GB Fuze+ (once again on one of the daily sale sites) for only $35 so I figured that was pretty good.

So far I give it a D- on the interface and a C (at best) on the touch controls. Battery life is good, and I've even put some converted movies on it and it isn't horrible with the exception of having to watch the screen with the device tilted to the left a bit because of the screen bias. However, I still keep the C250 handy for when the battery runs down on the Fuze+ and here's where I'm perplexed; after listening to the Fuze for awhile, I put my V-Moda earbuds in the C250 and the sound on the little old C250 is just worlds brighter and rounder and overall...better.

So, even though I like the capacity of the Fuze+ to carry a bigger selection of tunes, and I like the slim size and light weight (good at the gym) it really doesn't have much else to recommend it. I'm glad I bought it for $35 because I think it's worth at most that, while the C250 which I got for only $14 is worth so much more in my book even with its deficiencies.

My 2 cents.

Scott McCrate

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 PM

I'm surprised you missed all the positive recommendations about the Clip + and Zip during your reading here. AFAIK very little if anything positive written about the Fuze + here. IMHO the Clip line is the best player for portability at the gym, sports and short outings.

Edit: BTW welcome to abi

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into the Clip. I normally read this forum in the past for my ZVM and I bought the Fuze without really doing any forum research so my bad there. I'll look up the opinions on the other models and then look for an inexpensive source. Thanks for the tip!

Scott

Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 AM

Don't get me wrong, from all reports the sound quality on the fuze + is great, I only listened to it once and the sq was on par with the Clip family. All the negative issues mainly come from the UI and not the sound quality ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I loved the sq and great volume on the fuze+, but the user interface and unbearable slugginess and choppy behavior of the thing killed it for me. It it worked half decently I'd still have mine,...it's gone now.

As for the clip+ OR the clipzip, they both are excellent performing and sounding players. I kept both of them,...