android
Old 09-14-2010, 11:03 AM

Default Screen Cracked

Whenever I search for a new mp3 player I always visit this site, and today I'm in a real bad mood, so I decided to register. (Does that make sense?)

Anyway, I bought a an iAudio 9 less then a month ago, but two weeks ago my screen stopped working. So I sent it back to the webshop I bought it from. But they concluded that I cracked the screen and there is no way to get it fixed for free. (The minimum will be around €150 and I bought it for €160).

Well it's impossible for the screen to get cracked while laying on my amp, so it's kind of weird that they blame me for it.

So I was wondering a few things:
Are there any other people here that got their screens cracked under weird circumstances?
Do you (dare to) put your i9 in your pocket?
Do you use a nice (cheap) strong screen protector that doesn't decrease touch sensitivity?
Is there any other (small) MP3 player in the same price class with this level of sound quality available?

Siewart

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-18-2010, 10:38 AM

the screen of my i9 was breaked my friend two mounth ago. luckly there was only a bright line on the screen.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:10 AM

I let my i9 roll around in my pocket without any screen protector without my mobile phone. Still runs strong till today, and i've owned it for about a year now.

I doubt its a cracked screen, perhaps just bad luck. I don't think there is any way to replace the screen yourself for that matter...

If you need a good MP3 Player with good quality, I can thoroughly recommend the Sansa Fuze (You can go for the Fuze+ if you want) One of the best sound qualities on an MP3 Player out there (following the Sansa Clip) and available at a fraction of the cost too

Old 10-08-2010, 03:09 PM

my i9 screen cracked too. tommorow i'll go to see if i can fix it. knows anyone if the service can repair ir or not? i have the 16gb version of i9 and the price it's spicy to buy another one if can't be fixed

Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 PM

What's with people cracking their screens as if it's nothing? Come on people; protect all of your PMP's with your life!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:40 AM

Unhappy

is not like i cracked it because i wanned to do that. it was an accident

Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 AM

Page

I am from Romania and i was thinking that the repair will cost a fortune but I was mistakeing. THE REPLACEMENT OF THE SCREEN COST ME ONLY 20 EURO+V.T.A. FOR THIS KIND OF PLAYER IS NOT A FORTUNE IS VERY-VERY CHEAP i EXPECTED TO COST ME AT LEAST 100EURO.

IF YOU CRACK YOUR i9 SCREENS IT'S NOT A FORTUNE TO REPLACE IT.

good luck

Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 PM

just had my 2nd screen crack, I'm done with the I9! it was nice while it lasted.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Banned

i treat mine with a little more care than my clip+, but not much more.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:11 PM

mine cracked 2 times yesterday for the third time this mp3 is a piece of work but it's really !! weak this time it cracked because i stepped on it with my toe yes you reading it right MY TOE!! how much pressure can a dam toe be !!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:41 PM

No case, it stays in pocket, a few meter drops and no problems, still looks great and runs well.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogzybom View Post
I am from Romania and i was thinking that the repair will cost a fortune but I was mistakeing. THE REPLACEMENT OF THE SCREEN COST ME ONLY 20 EURO+V.T.A. FOR THIS KIND OF PLAYER IS NOT A FORTUNE IS VERY-VERY CHEAP i EXPECTED TO COST ME AT LEAST 100EURO.

IF YOU CRACK YOUR i9 SCREENS IT'S NOT A FORTUNE TO REPLACE IT.

good luck
Hello!

I am now in the same situation.

where did you replaced it?

THX

Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake69fast View Post
Hello!

I am now in the same situation.

where did you replaced it?

THX
Do not expect a reply from bogzybom, he posted 3 times well over a year ago and hasn't been back. Also this thread is fairly old ... Your best bet if you can do this type of work is to buy a bricked one and DIY. You can also contact Cowon for repair service, IIRC screen replacement is around $90.00 plus shipping give or take around 10, good luck.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 PM

The screen on my i9 16gb broke completely. I was really shocked because I took care of it and kept it in a case, I honestly have no idea how it broke. The repairs would cost as much as I paid for the device, there is no way for me to do it myself, so it is currently being used as a 16gb bootable NTFS flash drive.

I have a sticker stuck over the front of it, it is permanently in lock mode, the filesystem has been overwritten, it is formatted to NTFS, the cable has been chopped down to about 5cm long.

Not much else you can do really. Just ordered an i10 32GB. I will keep this one in a hard case as much as possible.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM

I am in the same boat - my i9 screen cracked for no apparent reason, in early December. It was in a shure earbud case, which itself was in my daypack. No mistreatment.

I played with it after the screen cracked - the i9 flexes easily, I could expand the cracks with very light 'bend' pressure and also light 'twist' pressure. I consider that a design fault - a player this small and light is meant to be ultra-portable right? But then u need to treat it like it is ultra-fragile...

Was on only my second battery charge with the i9, and a week into a four-week trip to Thailand. I don't know what was the bigger tragedy - busting my brand-new i9 or being "stranded" so far from home without my carefully-prepared playlists.

Waiting on a quote for repair, but if too high I'll maybe buy a sturdier brand. Or the metal-backed C2 looks an option...

Old 01-06-2013, 02:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I do love the C2, its a solid little player, and the fact the screen is resistive touch i think its a little more tolerable to pressure.

I learned a lesson a long time ago with devices in pockets. I had a RUGGED digital camera (DSC-TX5), it was dustproof, waterproof and SHOCK proof, but i placed it in my backpocket, sat down in a car seat and broke the touch screen (im not even a heavy guy :S
The touch screen only bled, meaning it was still very operable, but yeh the cost of fixing was more than just buying another.
It must have been pressure that broke it, so after that i was more mindful of gadgets and phones in pockets (after all when u sit down and stand up yer hip bends and if the player is at that junction point if could take too much pressure and break the screen (its not gorilla glass after all). And yeh dont put stuff in yer backpocket and forget about it either.

All my players i have owned I have fastened a clip to the rear and wear them off my pants (so exterior). Sounds more risky, like bumping into the corner of a table etc, but - touch wood - none have suffered such fate yet.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:38 AM

I managed to crack the screen of my i9 after about 6 months of using it. I've no idea how it happened though, but it was a crack about 3cm long from the bottom of the screen upwards. It didn't affect useability at all though, and never seemed to get any worse in the following 6 months before I sold it.

I always keep my players, including the i9 when I had it, in me left trouser pocket and never in the back. I wear fairly loose clothes though, so that was never really an issue.

I should add I used it exclusively when travelling, and never indoors as I've got other stuff for listening to music at home.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.711 View Post
just had my 2nd screen crack, I'm done with the I9! it was nice while it lasted.
I'm amazed you didn't protect it after the first one went. If I'd have got a replacement i9 I'd have wrapped the bloody thing in bubble wrap before using it!