Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Software

Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 PM

Problem solved:
YAMB 1.6 +mp4box.exe works
YAMB beta 2 version does not work.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Extract audio from video files, the best way for free?

I'm interested in being able to extract audio from video files, for free. I don't need amazing quality, but I need decent quality, and of course MP3 format .

I'm aware that there are lots of ways to do this, but most of the best ways cost some cash. I've heard of a couple of ways to do this for free before, but I'd like to know the best way possible for free.

I've also heard about being able to extract audio using a program called Yamb, so I installed the program. I looked through everything there is and couldn't find anything related to extracting audio.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for the help !

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 04-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Check this thread.....http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...highlight=YAMB

Old 04-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Yup.

MediaCoder is also great [for me...Marv never got it to work for this exact thing]...

What kind of source videos are we talking about McDougal?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the replies !

I'll take a look thru that thread and also give MediaCoder a try.

I'm talking about downloaded youtube videos, and possibly a live DVD I have, but I can't rip that because I don't have any software to rip copy protection , oh well.

Retired Devices:

Old 04-15-2011, 12:17 PM

Just get DVD Decrypter to remove copy protection from DVDs.

Also, Mediacoder would be my last choice - it transcodes the data, it is destructive. YAMB, Virtualdub, FLV Extractor are non-destructive and 'lossless'.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Thanks for the replies !

I'll take a look thru that thread and also give MediaCoder a try.

I'm talking about downloaded youtube videos, and possibly a live DVD I have, but I can't rip that because I don't have any software to rip copy protection , oh well.
Those YouTube videos, I won't bother with any of them that are .flv, that is garbage.....try to only grab the .mp4 ones, which usually is what you find if you grab 720p or 1080p.
Edit: not familiar with FLV extractor that dfkt mentions above....maybe that makes the .flv ones a viable option?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Most FLVs on Youtube include the same AAC audio as the MP4s, so it shouldn't matter.

Old FLVs generally used VP6 for video and MP2 for audio, but new ones are mostly h264 with AAC at the same bitrate as the higher quality MP4s anyways. With FLV Extractor it's the easiest way of getting the AAC out of them. With Media Info you can check if the FLVs contain the good or bad stuff beforehand.

Threads merged, since they're exactly the same, and I already said the same thing in the older thread.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Just get DVD Decrypter to remove copy protection from DVDs.

Also, Mediacoder would be my last choice - it transcodes the data, it is destructive. YAMB, Virtualdub, FLV Extractor are non-destructive and 'lossless'.
DVD Decrypter looks like it would work.....but should I be concerned at all about being caught making a copy of a copy-protected disc?

Retired Devices:

Old 04-15-2011, 04:23 PM

Well, my personal stance on that subject is - fuck those greedy delusional scumbags that won't let you make copies of the DVDs you bought and own, to watch them whenever, wherever you want. DRM only ever hurts the legit customer, never the pirate. Of course the legislation in your country might disagree with my opinion.

Either way, you certainly are safe. To the best of my knowledge, they didn't go after anyone who circumvented the DMCA by descrambling the CSS on a DVD for personal use. The MPAA/RIAA usually goes after blind senior citizens or single mothers that download a sole audio track or video via Kazaa or something.

I never ever watched any DVD I bought as-is, first thing I always rip them to a useful format and put them on my HTPC and/or PMP. I couldn't stand those stupid FBI warnings and all that other bloat that gets in the way of my movie enjoyment.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ interesting, dfkt...had no idea about MediaCoder's nature...thanks...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-15-2011, 04:57 PM

Well, Mediacoder is a valuable tool if you want to transcode videos to play on your PMP or similar. But if you want to just keep the audio as-is, original quality, to listen to, it is not quite the right tool.

If you really want to transcode exotic audio that won't play anywhere else, I still would extract it with a non-destructive tool, then transcode it with a tried-and-proven quality audio transcoder app, such as Foobar or dBpoweramp.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Hey,

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have a music DVD and would like to rip the music from the DVD to the individual tracks in mp3. Looks like ripping the DVD to AVI and then using VirtualDub to rip the music is the best option? The problem is I don't have any software to rip the DVD to AVI, have you got any suggestions?

Also I presume I will get one big file of the whole DVD out of it so do you have any suggestions for software to split this long file into the individual songs.

Thanks