android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 AM

$119.99 after coupon at The Sound Professionals. (Click on the yellow banner for coupon.) The problem is it'll cost $15 to ship in the US.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 AM

A guy at another forum had the ATH M-50 a while ago but then sold them to someone because he found the voice tone to be artificial, though the bass and detailing he found excellent. Now, he got the ATH AD-700 instead and loves these.

AD-700 are open air phones so would sacrifice on bass right? Do any of you have both of them?

Kind Regards,
Casper

Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Bass or the lack of it isn't a characteristic of open headphones. Open headphones can have huge amounts of bass, The Koss Portapro do. The bass on the Senn HD 600 I've heard is excellent. Not nearly as much as the Portapro but they have a much better overall sound.

The sound sig of the AD700 and ATH 50 are literally night and day. I have the AD700 and have heard the ATH 50. Anyone that moves to to the AD700 from the ATH 50 is going to be badly disappointed if they're looking for bass that's anything like the ATH 50. It's just not there. I like the AD700 a lot for some things. I don't use them for drumnbass or dubstep. They're fantastic for acoustic jazz and orchestral music.

Except for the Cortex CHP-2500 I've heard or owned all the other headphones on your list. I'd get them again for the prices listed here in the US. If I had to pay the additional shipping and import fees you do I'd be looking for alternatives.

An example would be the Panasonic RP-HTX7. I can get a set for ~$30 right now. I wouldn't have a problem with that. If that jumped to ~$65 because of the extra fees I'd pass.

Have you thought about a posting a list of candidates that are available where you are? There may be something at a good price near you members here know about but haven't listed.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
An example would be the Panasonic RP-HTX7. I can get a set for ~$30 right now. I wouldn't have a problem with that. If that jumped to ~$65 because of the extra fees I'd pass.
Even the ATH M-50 retail here from 180 USD to above 200 USD and on ebay they retail for nearly 295 USD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Have you thought about a posting a list of candidates that are available where you are? There may be something at a good price near you members here know about but haven't listed.
I did post for the JVC HA RX 700 but hardly got a response. Will do the same for others in the list.

From the Cortex-pro website, I got a contact of an Indian Cortex dealer in Delhi but still waiting for a reply email from them. Will try calling them up tomorrow. Hope they don't double the price.

BTW, how about these --link to banned site removed---? They look the same as the ones on Amazon here including the specs (Edifier H502). They ship free to many countries including India. Edifier is a good brand I guess?

Kind Regards,
Casper

P.S.: For some reason the dino******.com changes to just *s if I put a link to the above. Anyway, they are available for 37.39 USD on dino with free shipping.

Last edited by skip252; 04-02-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: workaround link to banned site removed

Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Administrator

You'll frequently find headphones with similar looks and specs. I can't remember which model they are cloned from but that's what triggered the interest in the Cortex CHP-2500. The OEM headphone market has been discussed a number of times here. Sometimes it's been worth the gamble, sometimes not. If I were on a limited budget and didn't have the amount of feedback that's here on the Cortex CHP-2500 I'm not sure I'd gamble with those.

The specs look good but there's no telling build or sound quality without a review from someone whose opinion you respect. You might want to find a review from a trusted reviewer before you get these.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 PM

Default Little off your topic

These will hold down anything you are looking for at that price.
If I could get them right now I would.
When these came out the Ipod touch was in its first generation. There was nothing that could keep up with it then these came out and people loved them. I have a pair of Atrios M5 and these come right behind them as far as favorite all time headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...GTWTA7AP3YGKBS

Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 AM

Get the Koss Portapros or it's other iterations. The bass is fine. You might find better bass but you won't get better sound overall under Grado SR 60i's. You can get them cheap, they're comfortable to the point you forget your wearing headphones, and have a lifetime warranty. For under 40 bucks the PortaPro is the final word on great sound.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Both the Grado's and Koss PortaPro's are open cans. They're not so good when it comes to isolation, and leak sound.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just ordered a set of Sennheiser PX90's which came to just over $40....if the OP hasn't made a decision by the time I get them, I'll report back.

They are semi-open headphones, but I actually want them to be, because I will be using them for walking and I want to be able to hear the cars coming.

I had PortaPros before and the cables always give out on me.....inadequate strain relief, I think....and the PX100ii's cost almost $60, so we'll see how these are.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Both the Grado's and Koss PortaPro's are open cans. They're not so good when it comes to isolation, and leak sound.
I get great isolation even with the cheap Weile HPs that I have and they don't leak sound at even the max volume setting.

TDS, thanks for mentioning that Grados and PortaPros are open air phones. My original intention for this post was to get suggestions for boomy headphones since I love bass rich music. And, open air phones don't give that rich bass. Other than this, I want them to be comfy for long hours and good isolation would be a plus too. Plus within 40 USD ... max 50 USD with S&H.

It seems that locally, only the Sony and Philips HPs are available easily.

If I'm unable to get any of the good HPs locally without doubling the price, I think I'd wait for about a month since a friend of my brother is in the U.S. and would be returning back by early next month.

Kind Regards,
Casper

Old 04-05-2012, 04:23 AM

I wasn't able to contact the Indian dealer listed on cortex-pro.com but got a quote for the CHP-2500 for 63 USD, that's 23 USD additional.

I don't think I can get them cheaper this way but if I could use an amazon.com coupon (does anyone have one I can use for these headphones?), I could ship it to a PPO box address in the U.S. from where a local website will ship it to my home address in India. Would be cheaper this way but only if there was a good amazon coupon.

Kind Regards,
Casper

Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Get the CHP-2500's, you'll luv 'em. The bass is great, clarity is quite good, and the build quality is actually nice & solid.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:10 PM

One of my questions in the original post somehow got overlooked so reposting it here:

Would I need to buy an amp for getting better and richer bass or would just getting some better headphones do for me?

(I would guess the Cortex with 2000mW max output are quite loud?)

Would adding a good amp like Digizoid O2, Fiio E11/E17 etc increase the bass to make the music sound heavenly?

Kind Regards,
Casper

Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I always say get the headphones first, then decide if you need an amp after listening to them for a while. I dont amp my cortex. My phone is a little weak and i have considered a little fiio amp but its not pressing.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The chp-2500 doesn't need any amping. But, after you play with them for a bit, a Digizoid ZO will be a nice addition. And, when it comes to the Digizoid ZO, it's helps out almost ANY headphone.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Panasonic RP-HJE450 IEM has plenty of bass. The new JVC HAFX101 IEM has plenty of bass. It is part of JVC's Extreme Explosive series. I have the original JVC Extreme Explosive IEM, the HAFX1X. It is huge, and I have trouble getting a good seal with it. The bass on it is very strong. I think fitwise, the new HAFX101 seems better, as it is smaller. It is also cheaper.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

He doesn't want iem's.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The chp-2500 doesn't need any amping. But, after you play with them for a bit, a Digizoid ZO will be a nice addition. And, when it comes to the Digizoid ZO, it's helps out almost ANY headphone.
Maybe I'll wait till the year-end for the next ZO version as I've read a lot of reviews about it saying that it produces a hiss even in the second version. I've also read and viewed some video reviews about the Fiio E11 and E17 and liked them too. Anyway, not gonna buy them at this time.

Kind Regards,
Casper

Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The CHP-2500 isn't a sensitive balanced iem, so it doesn't hiss. I would know, I own both the CHP-2500 & the Digizoid ZO.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 AM

TDS, thanks for the info

Tags
bassy, boomy, full-size, headphones, under $40