android
Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
That's nice and everything, but where in Canada can I buy the Z2?
Well, considering it hasn't been released outside of Korea yet, do what the REST of us do. WAIT! Or order from Exportprive,...got it?!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-06-2012, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
What makes the Z-Series a pass for me is the touch screen. After my experience with my X-Series player I'm very hesitant to consider any player with a touch screen.
What was wrong with the touchscreen on the Sony-X? You do realise that you can disable it using hold and still use the top buttons and volume?

I'd expect the Z-series to also be able to do that..

Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari33 View Post
What was wrong with the touchscreen on the Sony-X? You do realise that you can disable it using hold and still use the top buttons and volume?

I'd expect the Z-series to also be able to do that..
I found the touchscreen UI much more difficult to work with than the tactile UI. As an example, many of the touchscreen buttons were too small for my fingers to use accurately (such as the alphabetic slider at the top of the screen). Also, I had difficulty using the previous track button on the screen to go back to the previous track, usually it would only return to the beginning of the current track despite hitting it several times (it worked better with the top button).

The ability to use the top buttons and volume while the player is on hold is a great feature and one of the reasons I considered when purchasing the X-series player. However, I found that during regular use I have to repeatedly turn the hold on and off which is a minor irritant.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 03-08-2012, 03:33 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
I found the touchscreen UI much more difficult to work with than the tactile UI. As an example, many of the touchscreen buttons were too small for my fingers to use accurately (such as the alphabetic slider at the top of the screen). Also, I had difficulty using the previous track button on the screen to go back to the previous track, usually it would only return to the beginning of the current track despite hitting it several times (it worked better with the top button).

The ability to use the top buttons and volume while the player is on hold is a great feature and one of the reasons I considered when purchasing the X-series player. However, I found that during regular use I have to repeatedly turn the hold on and off which is a minor irritant.
Ah, I see. Yep it could be much better in this area.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 AM

didnt see a link to this but Engadget has a review of the player

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/14/s...player-review/

Old 03-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Meh,...

Old 03-16-2012, 11:26 AM

Looks cool. anyone used it?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Default Dissappointing

Just picked up the 32g Z. GREAT audio quality but otherwise a piece of crap. Extremely poor wi fi connectivity problems, battery drains like a leaky bucket. build quality suspect at best, too large, holding in portrait mode you have sharp ends that make it extremely uncomfortable. The most disappointing device I've purchased in years. It's being returned tomorrow! No accessories. Proprietary port for battery charger. Screen quality okay. Slow at start up.

Sony, what were you thinking?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:56 AM

Still not sure if I'm going to keep mine or not. Really wish they had put stock android instead of this slightly watered down verison. Have only had one wifi issue but the lack of small features like backlit buttons and haptic feedback make me feel like I overpaid for this device, although it is more powerful than the galaxy 4.0 & handles flash videos better. If the battery cant make it during my day tomorrow I'll probably return it and just have to pony up the cash for a galaxy note. Sigh.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Cowon Z2, IMO, is better,...

Old 03-25-2012, 03:50 PM

this thing has a tegra 2 chip correct? I think the cyanogenmod team needs to get their hands on it and give it cyanogenmod 9 or 7 but would be nice with 9.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
this thing has a tegra 2 chip correct? I think the cyanogenmod team needs to get their hands on it and give it cyanogenmod 9 or 7 but would be nice with 9.
yes, clocked at 1GHz. I really do hate that they skimped on the ram, although the device has become more bearable for my needs. Just have to reduce the number of tabs I have open while web browsing and kill off everything before play flash videos. Tomorrow I'll see how well the battery does during my heaviest day of usage (manly just audio & games however). If it last I might just keep it because everything else that is more powerful cost too much and I dont feel like going back the single core cpu inside of the galaxy 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The Cowon Z2, IMO, is better,...
how? cant see any advantages besides the amoled screen, microSD slot and maybe sound quality?

Last edited by blcistheking; 03-25-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^heh^

Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 PM

Looks like AOYAMA&CO is selling it via amazon in the states (japan model), but at a whopping $648.00 I find it hard to believe they'll sell much ... http://www.amazon.com/Android-WALKMA.../dp/B005MLPHH8

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd have bought it from a seller here in the USA - so I can have a real local warranty. Besides, for that price they can go suck an egg!!!

Old 03-26-2012, 01:11 PM

You know, it's quite interesting to see how people here react to "Japan only" models.

In all the Chinese forums that I visit, most of them will buy the Japanese version, believed (or hyped) to be superior. Many Chinese bought the Japanese Z despite the import taxes, the shipping by an actual ship, the fact that Google Play cannot be used in Mainland China...

And the warranty. I once asked what they were going to do if they ever need an in-warranty repair. What I got was basically this:

Quote:
They [Japanese electronics companies] sell third-rate products in China, second-rate in the USA and they reserve the first-rate for themselves. Warranty? What warranty? It's a Japanese version, it won't break!
I just no longer know what to say.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 PM

Default Returned it after 24hrs

Sound quality better than an iPod, but not spectacular. Extremely poor wifi connectivity. Ergonomics horrific, sharp corners make it uncomfortable to hold. Plastic feel. Looks sharp. But not for me. Cowon Z2 sound quality and user experience amazing. Good ergonomics. Android useless outside of Korea unless you jail break it. Good wifi connectivity.

My preference, Cowon J3. Amazing sound quality, sleek, decent interface, step up from S9, small and packs a punch. No wifi, but my iPad and iPhone serve that purpose. For me, sound quality is #1.

Even though all devices are not Mac friendly, the sound quality is worth the file transfer hassles.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:13 AM

Huh.
I cannot comfortably grab an iPod Touch because it is way too rounded. Looking at pics of the Samsung Galaxy Player, I have to anticipate the same.
The Z, however, is a dream to hold due to its curved back and important thickness. I actually bought a silicone case to augment the overall size and thickness.
I feel no plastic on this device. The sandpaper back panel increases caseless grip and is much less prone to the scratched mirror effect found on most iPods.
I see no problem with WiFi connectivity. Where my computer can connect, my Z can. Where my computer cannot connect, my Z cannot.
Sound quality-wise, the Z is just closely trailing behind the Sony PCM-D50, a professional audio recorder with AK4385 and MAX9722. Your J3 has got to be one amazing device if it can beat the Z in sound

Android. I've never cared about it. I'd be happier if Sony used a proprietary OS.

Sent from my Z