android
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 AM

Default Cable Identification

Over the years I have gathered a good amount of cables, some of them which I have never even used. In fact there is 3 cables I don't even know the use for. Perhaps you could help me out identifying them?

Thanks on beforehand!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

This one here......

could be used for hooking a DAP up to a stereo, headphone-out of the DAP to the left and right RCA jack.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urne View Post
Over the years I have gathered a good amount of cables, some of them which I have never even used. In fact there is 3 cables I don't even know the use for. Perhaps you could help me out identifying them?

looks like a low quality toslink optical audio cable with the rubber protector still on the tip. pop that clear part off and it will be usable.

Quote:

can't tell for sure but looks like an HDMI variant. can we get a more head on shot of the connectors?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID
can't tell for sure but looks like an HDMI variant. can we get a more head on shot of the connectors?
Sure here you go:

I can tell that the cable ending to the left is a miniUSB - it's the one on the right which confuses me though. :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID
looks like a low quality toslink optical audio cable with the rubber protector still on the tip. pop that clear part off and it will be usable.
Thanks for pointing out I wasn't aware of that - I took the rubber protector off now, perhaps it's easier to see if it is an optical audio cable now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
could be used for hooking a DAP up to a stereo, headphone-out of the DAP to the left and right RCA jack.
Thanks for the info - I got three of these lying around here so I'll try it out as soon as I find a stereo supporting it!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info - I got three of these lying around here so I'll try it out as soon as I find a stereo supporting it!
I have one that I leave plugged into the CD In jack on the back of my receiver....then whichever DAP (or my tablet) I want to listen to over my stereo instead of using headphone, I plug the other end of the cable into the headphone-out. I set the DAP volume just short of the maximum, disable any EQ settings, and press play and enjoy.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Sure here you go:

I can tell that the cable ending to the left is a miniUSB - it's the one on the right which confuses me though. :S
looks like some kind of proprietary cable....or at least an obscure one. I don't recognize it. I get those oddball cables with digicams, etc.

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out I wasn't aware of that - I took the rubber protector off now, perhaps it's easier to see if it is an optical audio cable now.

yep, optical audio. I said low quality before because of the cable jacket. Not much protection there at all. will work but will probably be fragile. Marv and I got you 2 out of 3...and as they say, that ain't bad

Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
This one here......

I also use one of these to connect my new TV (headphone jack out) to my old stereo receiver (RCA plugs).

Steve

Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
This one here......

You can't have enough of those I think I have about 7 of them, most of which are in use. The logo on the plugs looks like the Creative logo. It probably came with one of their players.

The last cable confuses me.. why would you ever need miniUSB to something proprietary..?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID
looks like some kind of proprietary cable....or at least an obscure one. I don't recognize it. I get those oddball cables with digicams, etc.
You could be right about that, I wonder where I got the thing from..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID
yep, optical audio. I said low quality before because of the cable jacket. Not much protection there at all. will work but will probably be fragile. Marv and I got you 2 out of 3...and as they say, that ain't bad
The cable also *feel* low quality so I don't doubt that. is optical audio cables the kind of cables you can play around with, with a soldering iron btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett
You can't have enough of those I think I have about 7 of them, most of which are in use. The logo on the plugs looks like the Creative logo. It probably came with one of their players.

The last cable confuses me.. why would you ever need miniUSB to something proprietary..?
hmm, you could be right about the creative logo. I did own a creative 5.1 soundcard long time ago which could explain the 3 RCA cables (for front, L/R, back). I disliked it a lot due to all the proprietary outdated software you needed to get it running. A big huge mess! Bought it because I remember buying a Philips 5.1 system for like 100 bucks in some grosery store. When I got home and wanted to set it up with my computer I was so confused over there being three jack cables with it, not just one. Lesson learned.

as for your last question, I have no idea @_@

Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 PM

The one with the "two little USB plugs" looks like a cable for connecting two Texas Instruments graphers (graphing calculator) together. I have one bundled with my Ti-84+.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
is optical audio cables the kind of cables you can play around with, with a soldering iron btw?
Dont think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
The one with the "two little USB plugs" looks like a cable for connecting two Texas Instruments graphers (graphing calculator) together. I have one bundled with my Ti-84+.
wow, now that would be an obscure identification if it were the case.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
wow, now that would be an obscure identification if it were the case.
Yep. Dee-finitely a cable for connecting two Ti graphers.
Gotta be 84+ and newer though, as the 83+ had no USB jack.

2004 bridge camera, 4MP, F-Chrome, ISO 200, F/2.8, Macro, Shutter on AUTO.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:41 PM

Oi, looks almost exactly like those cables you got there 3602. I did have one of those calculators once but I have no idea where it is now. Oh well, at least I know where the cables are now if I ever should stumble upon it again.

Thanks to everybody for helping me out here. You have been a great help!

Tags
cables