android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 02-08-2012, 12:30 PM

This ebay seller has a dock with Audio line out for the Samsung S2. Would it work for what you want to do?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anker-Audio-...item4cfad8975e

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 PM

The SGP4 sounds fine connected via headphone jack to my car stereo aux-in. I previously did this with my iAudio G3 and that sounded fine too.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
This ebay seller has a dock with Audio line out for the Samsung S2. Would it work for what you want to do?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anker-Audio-...item4cfad8975e
Thanks but I decided to hang onto my ipod and use it for my car's music library because it turns out my ipod still has some life left in it after a bit of tinkering. I purchased a SGP 4.0 to use on the go. I think I should be happy with that.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 PM

Unhappy I share your pain lach!

I especially appreciate your statement that you just want to learn and some of the responses here can be lacking a little in tolerance shall we say. I asked the same question and it was never really answered. Just because "something is covered every week and I'm sick of it" doesn't mean it has been covered WELL. As a life long instructor of people with advanced post graduate degrees I have learned that if THOSE people don't get what I'm saying the problem is with ME!

I believe the line out signal is low voltage and high impedance and the headphone jack signal is lower impedance and higher voltage. As has been pointed out, if the audio signal (voltage) out of the headphone jack is not "clean" then the outboard amp will be increasing voltage (sound level) AND distortion as well, possibly to audible levels. While the analog signal has to have SOME voltage after going thru the DAC, what I have just stated is not so much of a problem because it has not yet been "amplified" (or polluted) to a sufficient voltage to provide acceptable volume levels and a good external amp CAN (NOT ALWAYS) do a NOTICEABLY better job at this than the compromised onboard amp.

Another great reference IS NwAvGuys article on impedance. (I haven't read it yet, just scanned it!! ) I know "matching" is important but I do not have as intuitive a feel for OUTPUT impedance as I do for INPUT impedance. Why would you want to hinder the OUTPUT (voltage)of a device with a high impedance? It like putting a restrictor plate on a Nascar engine to limit power output. They don't want 'em going 250 mph but it's still a counterintuitive thing to strangle a high performance engine. Hell, just limit them to 6s instead of 8s. (Right, this is an EASIER amp to build, got it! And IF the main amp is better the headphone jack signal can be cleaner than the one from the cheap line out amp. DKFT and others have proven this.)

The guys on here are very smart, but I don't think they always have the ability to get to the heart of what a newb is asking. As a GENERAL rule you CAN get NOTICEABLY better sound out of a line out by passing it thru a BETTER amplifier than the onboard amp. But these guys have done their homework, they KNOW the good DAPS, and I see what they are saying, save your money for bettr phones cause you'll never tell the diff!! I'm driving good phones (AKG 550, Polk Ultrafit 2000 (all right, shut up, it's GOOD for what it is!), and Shure 530s from a usb thru a Headroom Bithead (POS?) and I'm having trouble getting the volume I want except with the Shures. I can't imagine driving the others thru my Cowon D2 or Sansa Clip Zip or even a J3. (BUT, I WILL try!!!) Now I'm looking at a Nano line outing to a good RSA amplifier (Stupid, waste of money???). I worry about the DAC quality in the Nano but I won't pay for a CLAS or Fostex HP1 just to get that damn digital stream out of an Apple product.

Just keep reading and teaching yourself. Alot of people have posted GREAT tutorials on this site. Between here and NwAv Guy, we should be able to figure it out. Good luck!

P.S. I DO believe what you guys say about your players, I AM listening and will try it out. Saratoga, your answers are great but Fletcher Munson is WAAYYY over my head right now. Could you possibly explain just HOW to perform "volume matching?" THANKS! Be well.

Last edited by Robn13; 04-27-2012 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Stupidity, not reading prior posts well enough.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:28 AM

Poweramp and Steves kernel with voodoo sound, no external is needed, that s* gets so loud and clear I can cleanly hear the words to songs when my headphones (10 dollar sony earbuds) are on the other side of my bedroom from me in there case and thats at +0db not the +5db max boost of voodoo sound.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:51 PM

Default Heavy rootin?

Sounds great! From the terms you are using (kernel, ROM), I take it that is a HEAVILY rooted unit. Also I have heard that the 4.0 has a wolfson DAC but not the 5.0 Any info on this?
Thanks, I looked at these in best buy and liked the build quality but didn't know the specs.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robn13 View Post
Sounds great! From the terms you are using (kernel, ROM), I take it that is a HEAVILY rooted unit. Also I have heard that the 4.0 has a wolfson DAC but not the 5.0 Any info on this?
Thanks, I looked at these in best buy and liked the build quality but didn't know the specs.
Correct on the part about the Wolfson DAC, its only in the 4.0, the 5.0 uses a yamaha.

Rooted is rooted, there's no Heavy or Light, and there's an already rooted but otherwise stock ROM over at XDA, flashing that rom (or rooting the stock one) and steves kernel should be mandatory for all 4.0 owners as it takes less then 10 minutes to do, and poweramp has a 2 week free trial and when it runs out you can either pay the 5 bucks for the full copy or unistall, reboot and reinstall. voodoo has a free version you can download right from there site and copy to your player and install.

here's a video so you see how loud it gets.

http://youtu.be/Tnd_wKNqkhs

Last edited by Daniel644; 04-28-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
flashing that rom (or rooting the stock one) and steve's kernel should be mandatory for all 4.0 owners as it takes less than 10 minutes to do,
I would except for all these threads with "brick" in the forum.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
I would except for all these threads with "brick" in the forum.
as long as you don't flash a PIT file its pretty hard to hard brick your player, I myself got stuck in a bootloop once all I had to do was flash back to stock, boot into recovery and clear the 2 caches and reboot.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree with Daniel644, it really isn't that big of a risk, so long as you follow a tutorial and don't stray from it at all. That's when you screw stuff up. Just youtube it and you'll find some ones that just tell you pretty simply how to flash with Odin.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:43 AM

The people you read about here that have HARD bricks, not the simple bootloop (soft brick) are the people that after soft bricking used a PIT file and F'd everything up instead of simply flashing back to stock ROM and doing what I said above to get rid of the bootloop.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
I agree with Daniel644, it really isn't that big of a risk, so long as you follow a tutorial and don't stray from it at all. That's when you screw stuff up. Just youtube it and you'll find some ones that just tell you pretty simply how to flash with Odin.
I've loaded Cyangenomod on two Android devices. Messing around with Android devices isn't easy. For example there are several versions of Odlin so I never knew which tutorial was for which version because once instructions get posted for the older versions, they stay posted forever. Links on the other hand die pretty quickly so I'd get three fourths of the way through some outdated instructions to find I couldn't download something. I had to start over several times.

Worst of all, instructions never say what you're really doing -- just do this and this then this and then that and everything will be fine. When things go wrong, you're on your own. When I finally got them to work it was always by luck, not because I knew what I had done. No one has any clue what anything does so don't bother asking.

I'm not keen on loading a new kernel unless I can easily boot off of the previous one if something goes wrong.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 PM

Well I use Odin 1.85 to flash my US 4.0 player.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
I believe the line out signal is low voltage and high impedance and the headphone jack signal is lower impedance and higher voltage.
No, line out and headphone out are usually the same voltage (or very nearly so). Although if your headphone out is volume capped, the line out will be higher.

Quote:
Another great reference IS NwAvGuys article on impedance. (I haven't read it yet, just scanned it!! ) I know "matching" is important but I do not have as intuitive a feel for OUTPUT impedance as I do for INPUT impedance.
No, matching is not important. You deliberately do not match impedances with headphones. You should probably read that article a little more carefully, you're missing the whole point of it.

Quote:
Why would you want to hinder the OUTPUT (voltage)of a device with a high impedance?
You don't want to, the whole point is that a good output has the lowest possible impedance...

Quote:
The guys on here are very smart, but I don't think they always have the ability to get to the heart of what a newb is asking. As a GENERAL rule you CAN get NOTICEABLY better sound out of a line out by passing it thru a BETTER amplifier than the onboard amp.
No the opposite is true. In general you can't do that. I explained this in my post above.

Edit: Let me make this more simple: unless you have some really weird headphone, or a player known to have problems driving headphones (e.g. some very old ipods), there is pretty much no reason to care about amps from a quality stand point. The electrical details don't really matter unless you really want to dig into the specifics. What matters is that pretty much all modern quality players (exclude some of the cheap, generic junk out there) will drive ordinary 16-300 ohm headphones just fine. Its mainly when you get out of that range or have weird stuff like low impedance balanced armature IEMs that you start to have any difference, and even then for most stuff the difference is pretty small.

Last edited by saratoga; 05-01-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Plus, we're not talking about good analog or even digital source...we're talking about an MP3 player...playing...compressed mp3 files. Okay, maybe someone has their microSD packed with FLAC, but that's probably not most of us.

If you're playing mp3 files into an average to decent set of headphones or earbuds, you're probably fine if you accept what the whole package is. If you try an take the output of an mp3 player, playing mp3 files, into a high-end audio system, the fact that you're using an mp3 player and mp3 files is going to be WAY more of a detriment to sound quality than any issues of overdriving the audio system's preamp with a signal higher than line voltage.

I am no audiophile or engineer. My understanding of this stuff cursory and comes from years of messing with sound systems, stereos and players, but my understanding is that "line-out" is simply a 0.7 volt reference..."capped" as it were. You still need to amplify a tiny little signal to get it up to line level. there's nothing inherently "clean" about line-level. It's just that you're not going to overdrive most audio front ends/preamps, with the standardized line out level.

You can take some very non-clean signal, like a dirty overdriven tube amp with all sorts of distortion, put a DI box on the speaker output (right from the power amp!) and get the signal down to 0.7v line level. It's line level, but it ain't pretty.

Feel free to cut my head off...I may be a bit off-base on that. And if so, would be open to hearing why. It get's difficult to talk about this stuff in any detail if you don't have some decent engineering background. The whole impedance-matching thing, for example, I have never had a firm grasp on. I know you need to use a matching transformer when you take a Low-z mic (like a Shure 58/57 or other dynamic mic) and go into a high-Z input (like a guitar amp)...but that's about it.

So much stuff to still learn...so little brain cells left.