android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Windows Phones

Old 05-10-2012, 07:32 PM

Default Nokia Lumia 900 hits the UK with Tango in tow

AT&Tís exclusive window on the Nokia Lumia 900 appears to be coming to a close. The smartphone has been popping up on various carriers around the world as of late, and the UK is the most recent country to be added to the list, thanks to Phones4U.

The UK-based smartphone retailer currently only has the white Lumia 900 available for purchase, the reverse of AT&Tís Ďblack/cyan first, white two weeks laterí launch strategy. The 4.3-inch HPSA+ handset can be picked up for free with a 12-, 18-, or 24-month contract on O2, Orange, and Vodafone.

Best of all, this version of the Lumia 900 comes with Windows Phoneís latest update, codenamed Tango. The build, version 8773.98, adds new messaging features like audio clips and the ability to attach multiple forms of media to a single MMS, as well as a location access indicator and other improvements and bug fixes.

[Nokia via The Verge]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 AM

2 words - Nokia + Windows is why this won't sell much in the UK.

and many of the reviews are poor also. Everyone wants the latest android or i-thingy.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 AM

Jeven, please elaborate, your two words are not enough. What's wrong with nokia and what's wrong with windows?

The lumia phones are solid, if the price is right they are a good buy. I would not put them toe to toe with the latest and greatest android (single vs quad core) but with the way they are priced I don't think that is a reasonable comparison anyway.

High end aside the nokia 610 should sell pretty well.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 AM

Nokia are dead-in-the-water in the UK. No-one wants them.

Probably to do with people getting burned with shoddy devices like the N97 in the past. And Windows phones just don't have the capabilities of Android - again people don't really want them - limited memory, sealed-in batteries (although this isn't just Windows, to be fair) and having to install Zune crapware to put some tunes on there.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:44 AM

I dunno, the lumia phones have sold surprisingly well. A lot of people seem to want to like them... Might be nostalgia for the really old nokia phones. The old n97 phones really sucked but that you can't judge the new crop based on them.

I did not know there was a zune limitation on transfering music to windows phones. If that is the case then for sure I would not buy one.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM

They haven't sold well in the uk, although Nokia was really pushing the 710 - around 5 or 6 Gbs of memory for music, apps and everything else. For £140 there are far better android alternatives.

Nokia shoulda gone android a long time ago. As it is, it's probably over for them while they're pushing symbian rubbish like the Asha or PureView, or trying to flog Windows phones which just won't make any profit for them.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
Nokia shoulda gone android a long time ago.
Anssi Vanjoki: Using Android like 'peeing in your pants for warmth in winter'

Nokia should have stuck to their guns and continued developing Maemo/ MeeGo/ Open(ish) Linux.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have the Lumia 900, I've been using Android & iOS since they came out. WP7 can compete with all the others, and the Nokia Lumia 900 is an excellent phone.

As for people giving it bad reviews, I call bullshit on their part. They only give a bad review because they're biased against Windows on a phone, and might even be a Nokia hater.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 05-11-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 PM

Well, Nokia's market share of smartphones has gone down from 28% at the end of 2010 to 14 to 10 and now 7%, and is forecast to be just 3% of all smartphones by the end of the year. From another site re Windows phones:

***Cut and paste quote without attribution removed.
The post has been left in case they ever decide to add the references and repost.***

And I think that's being quite generous.

Windows phones and Nokia are both DOA.

Last edited by skip252; 05-14-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Removal of cut and paste quote that wasn't referenced as to source

Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As they say "time will tell",... It works fine for my uses. But, as always, my phone needs a damn EQ and more onboard storage. The HTC Titan II has an EQ - WTF?!?!?!

Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 PM

Email that list of limitations to the guys developing the Windows Phone, maybe they can/will do something about it in the future.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
FEATURE LIMITATIONS

56. No Swype.
While some of the things in this list are things I would want, Swype isn't one of them....I don't like it at all. YMMV, of course.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

PS: after reading the list a bit more I see quite a few fallacies. Even the WiFi hotspot reason - I use mine as a hotspot every day at work. There are other errors, but I'm not going to break it all down.

Like I said, the reviews over there are DEFINATELY biased as a whole. Some are old resolved issues, others are created reasons that mean nothing. I rest my case,...

And I agree with Marv 110%, since I personally hated swype. It sux!!!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Here's a response that debunk many of that list.

http://mynokiablog.com/2012/05/10/wi...ked-the-truth/

Old 05-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
Here's a response that debunk many of that list.

http://mynokiablog.com/2012/05/10/wi...ked-the-truth/
Thank you! It seems there's quite a few people talking shit without even TRYING WP7.5 or a Windows phone. Give it a shot, talk smack later - or GSTFU. simple as that,...

Old 05-12-2012, 04:29 AM

No reason to even try out the Lumia - they're not Nokias anymore - instead of being made in Finland or Hungary as they used to be, they're designed with worse features than Nokias of old - downgraded camera etc - in America and made in sweatshops in Taiwan.

And the Lumias have the distinction of being the most returned phones ever, something that will just get worse. If you're going to charge £400 for a phone, it had better be, at least, as good as the iPhone, Galaxy S2, HTCs etc. and the Lumias aren't, hence their disastrous sales.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:14 AM

It has sold well.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...900-first-day/
The price is right on US carriers
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402869,00.asp
2 Million

Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 AM

It has the highest rate of returns of any Nokia and probably the highest of any current phone.

I can only hope that whoever has bought this phone was smart enough to buy it unlocked vs an expensive contract.

In 2 years, Nokia probably won't exist as a phone company - at least RIM has a decent OS, but even they will likely go bust, too.

Windows phones are somewhere beneath Bada and Tizen.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
No reason to even try out the Lumia - they're not Nokias anymore - instead of being made in Finland or Hungary as they used to be, they're designed with worse features than Nokias of old - downgraded camera etc - in America and made in sweatshops in Taiwan.

And the Lumias have the distinction of being the most returned phones ever, something that will just get worse. If you're going to charge £400 for a phone, it had better be, at least, as good as the iPhone, Galaxy S2, HTCs etc. and the Lumias aren't, hence their disastrous sales.
Quote:
It has the highest rate of returns of any Nokia and probably the highest of any current phone.

I can only hope that whoever has bought this phone was smart enough to buy it unlocked vs an expensive contract.

In 2 years, Nokia probably won't exist as a phone company - at least RIM has a decent OS, but even they will likely go bust, too.

Windows phones are somewhere beneath Bada and Tizen.
It seems you fall into the second category of the people I mentioned, as here in the USA the Nokia phones are the most satisfying and least returned of 'em all ATM.

And, I have a question,...what does it NOT being manufactured in Finland or Hungary have to do with it? How do you know it's being produced in a "sweatshop"? Big accusations,...no facts. Provide "reliable" links please,...

Again, your turning into one of the "rumormongers", aren't you??? Bring FACTS - or move on. And, provide links to sources that actually know what they're talking about. Otherwise all your posts are a waste of space,...

Old 05-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Read Tomi Ahonen's blog - plenty of facts there about how Nokias aren't even selling in Finland, and much more besides: http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/

Sorry, if you're stupid enough to buy a Nokia Windows phone on a contract, then you really are beyond any redemption.