android
Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty999 View Post
The samsung US site lists the back camera as 3.2 mega-pixel on GP 4.2.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3...I1CB/XAA-specs

Edit: just noticed the spec sheet pdf states 2MP so there is a typo somewhere.
Yeah, there is all sorts of confusion and inconsistencies out there, that's why I asked. Also lots of confusion about whether it will ever get ICS or not (Samsung has said some contradictory things on that). Pretty sad things are this state, for a product that obviously has been done for a while, as it will be shipping pre-orders in 4 days!

You have to give Apple credit where it is due -- they are always real sticklers about presentation for products, every launch is always very coordinated & carefully orchestrated so as to convey polish of both product and organization. Samsung? Not so much.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 PM

Default 4.2 specs

In addition to the 3.2MP vs. 2.0MP camera, I wonder about OTG capability.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 PM

http://digg.com/newsbar/Technology/s...in_south_korea

Apparently, the camera IS 3.2. Hm.

Myself- I'm waiting on reviews and a physical check to see if I go with the 4.2 or the 5.0. Since I'm in Korea atm, I guess its between the GI1 or the Yp-GB70. Or the Galaxy Wifi S 4.2 or 5.0. etc. God, Samsung makes some superb gear, but they seriously need to take something like marketing 101 or like Basic Marketing Nomenclature. Plus, the prices in Korea are ridiculous. But I guess that's only in comparison to the US. ugh. Still, the prospects of paying something in the neighborhood of $300 for a PMP is a bit dicey. anyhow.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljokingaside View Post
Apparently, the camera IS 3.2. Hm.
This is clearly not a hands-on review, so IMO it means nothing. They are probably reading the same (possibly typo filled) spec sheet we are. So what they said about camera is likely just the accident of whatever version of the spec sheet they got - versions exist that say it is both.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddnhead View Post
This is clearly not a hands-on review, so IMO it means nothing. They are probably reading the same (possibly typo filled) spec sheet we are. So what they said about camera is likely just the accident of whatever version of the spec sheet they got - versions exist that say it is both.
At the time, I was thinking that it was a review. Looking closely, you're probably right. Plus, "It is empowered with a 1500mAh battery"...?

Anyhow, dying to get my hands on this machine to compare it against the 5.0.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljokingaside View Post
Anyhow, dying to get my hands on this machine to compare it against the 5.0.
x2. Well, I don't have a 5.0 to compare it to. But I do have a preorder at amazon on this one.

Here is the new announcement for the german market that says camera is 2mp, fyi

Last edited by puddnhead; 05-11-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddnhead View Post
x2. Well, I don't have a 5.0 to compare it to. But I do have a preorder at amazon on this one.

Here is the new announcement for the german market that says camera is 2mp, fyi
That's what the local Samsung store's for! You'd think that they'd have the new releases in stock. Still, it was funny when one salesman cocked his head sideways, thinking me an idiot, meaning graphic interface when I asked for the yp-gi1.

Anyhow, if the DAC's the same as the 4.0, it might be a contender in my eyes, given the reports I've been hearing about the 5.0's sound quality.

This'll be first and foremost and mp3 player. Then a wifi phone/wifi. And an e-reader. In that order of importance for me.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 AM

Just get the triple whopper instead of waiting for the one small hamburger

Last edited by Lagoo56; 05-11-2012 at 03:46 AM.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
Just get the triple whopper instead of waiting for the one small hamburger
The device is for my 5th grader, in a (probably doomed to fail) attempt to keep here from being swept up in the "iPod Touch Envy" wave that have carried most of her friends away.

Although it is ironic, she does not have the touch, she does have a tracfone flip phone (and a 5th gen nano, btw). So while she is envious of all the others' Touches, *they* are envious that she has a phone! The grass is always greener, I guess ...

Who knows, if the functionality to tether the tracfone fliphone to the SGP works halfway decently, maybe they will all be pestering their parents to trade in their touches this fall, lol. Somehow I doubt it. In fact I'm half expecting to return the SGP, I just have my daughter's agreement to give it a try first before going down the Touch road.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
I love my 5.0, but have been thinking about buying a used Droid X on a Page Plus plan (probably the $12/mo). I'd like to quit carrying 2 devices. The 4.3" screen is smaller, but the same resolution, so should look just as good. I'm on wifi 90% of the time, so don't need much data at all. Will I regret this decision?
Probably would be fine if you don't mind the smaller screen and paying $30 or more for data, plus tax and fees, per month on top of the voice/phone plan.