android
Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 AM

Default What Can You Say About nwz-e465

Hi! I'm new here. I am planning to buy a new sony walkman nwz-e465. I just want to ask if this is a good music player or not in terms of:

1.) Sound Quality- My main priority, how does this sound? Is it accurate? Does it reproduce the sound accurately( if I use 256kbps m4a files)?

2.) Does the user interface respond quickly even if I fill it with 15gb of songs? How is you experience with the music player? Does if freeze? Or is it laggy?

3.) How is the battery life? Is it really 40+hrs of continuous music playback?

4.) How are the sound enchancements such as "Clear Stereo Clear Bass", "Digital Sound Enhancement Engine", "Virtual Phones Technology"? Does this features really make the sound quality better compared when these are turned off?

5.) How is the maximum volume? Is it loud enough? Even if you listen to music inside a train? Can you hear the music clearly eben in noisy environments (I have read that the included headset is a noise-isolating headphone).

SOrry guys for asking because I am not sure if this is a good music player. I cannot test it because all the items Sony Square is selling are all sealed inside the box so it is impossible for me to test it before buying.

Thanks in advance!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doniethegreat View Post
Hi! I'm new here. I am planning to buy a new sony walkman nwz-e465. I just want to ask if this is a good music player or not in terms of:

1.) Sound Quality- My main priority, how does this sound? Is it accurate? Does it reproduce the sound accurately( if I use 256kbps m4a files)?

SQ is excellent, the same as all Sony players.

2.) Does the user interface respond quickly even if I fill it with 15gb of songs? How is you experience with the music player? Does if freeze? Or is it laggy?

It work great,...it's a basic music & video player - no issues.

3.) How is the battery life? Is it really 40+hrs of continuous music playback?

Your most likely NOT going to get 40+ hrs of runtime. Those figures are test numbers, and using 128kbps mp3 files. But, runtime should still be in the 30+ hr range.

4.) How are the sound enchancements such as "Clear Stereo Clear Bass", "Digital Sound Enhancement Engine", "Virtual Phones Technology"? Does this features really make the sound quality better compared when these are turned off?

The EQ and Bass features all sound fantastic. The other stuff I never use,...all I need is the stuff I mentioned.

5.) How is the maximum volume? Is it loud enough? Even if you listen to music inside a train? Can you hear the music clearly eben in noisy environments (I have read that the included headset is a noise-isolating headphone).

If you live in an EU country the volume is lower, but my NWZ-A867 is loud enough for me & my cans. My S639 IS louder, buy 5-6 clicks,...but it makes no difference. It's too loud at max on either device.

SOrry guys for asking because I am not sure if this is a good music player. I cannot test it because all the items Sony Square is selling are all sealed inside the box so it is impossible for me to test it before buying.

Thanks in advance!!
Also, when asking questions, it's best to mention the country you live in. Sony devices differ by location. I own USA and UK players,...both differ in max capacity, volume, and software on the devices.

And,...welcome to ABi.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 PM

DSEE apparently adds some treble to the music. It probably works best on very low bitrate music because I have never heard a change with 320k MP3.
Regarding VPT, it's been around since those higher-end Hi-MD players. It can either sound real good or very fake depending on the music. The effects can be changed somewhat by adjusting EQ after applying VPT but I leave it off on my player since it most definitely does not have the same effect on every single track. Probably more marketing than anything solid. I've seen SRS-WOW effects on lots of older players (mostly Korean) but not on recent/current ones.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:30 AM

Something to mention about the capacity of the NWZ-E465 (brought up in item 2 of the original post): Even though it has a capacity of 16gb, only 14gb of it is available for use by the user. To add support to what The DarkSide later said, at times I've had my player filled to near capacity (less than 100mb of available space left), and I haven't noticed any sluggishness.

When it comes to playing time, the type of audio file you are playing does affect the battery life. Per the instruction book the playing time can range from 48 hours (for 128kpbs AAC-LC files) to 55 hours (for WAV files).

One place you might want to check out is the Sony website page for the player. From there you can access the specifications and the instruction book for the player, and it should provide you with useful information.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Also, when asking questions, it's best to mention the country you live in. Sony devices differ by location. I own USA and UK players,...both differ in max capacity, volume, and software on the devices.

And,...welcome to ABi.
I am from philippines Sir.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
DSEE apparently adds some treble to the music. It probably works best on very low bitrate music because I have never heard a change with 320k MP3.
Regarding VPT, it's been around since those higher-end Hi-MD players. It can either sound real good or very fake depending on the music. The effects can be changed somewhat by adjusting EQ after applying VPT but I leave it off on my player since it most definitely does not have the same effect on every single track. Probably more marketing than anything solid. I've seen SRS-WOW effects on lots of older players (mostly Korean) but not on recent/current ones.
can you really notice the difference in sound when you turn on the DSEE function?

Old 05-18-2012, 12:47 PM

^ I hear nought. (MDR-EX1000 used)

Old 05-19-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
^ I hear nought. (MDR-EX1000 used)
I see. So this may just be a gimmick feature from Sony eh?

Old 05-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

For bad quality music it might help, but I also hear no difference using my LAME rips. All good, and Sony is my favorite brand for music.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I see. So this may just be a gimmick feature from Sony eh?
Might be, might be. Might work better on real low-bitrate files though, but come on, we don't listen to 64kbps MP3.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Might be, might be. Might work better on real low-bitrate files though, but come on, we don't listen to 64kbps MP3.
I have a few podcasts that are that low, or lower (some below 32kpbs).
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 05-20-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
I have a few podcasts that are that low, or lower (some below 32kpbs).
does DSEE have effect on the sound quality of those files? Can you hear the added treble that Sony is telling?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
does DSEE have effect on the sound quality of those files? Can you hear the added treble that Sony is telling?
NO!