android
Old 05-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Unhappy Update on Amazon Order for SGP 4.2

Hello,

We're still trying to obtain the following item[s] you ordered on May 07, 2012
"Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 (YP-GI1CB/XAA)"
Still want it? We'll keep on trying. To keep your order for this item open, please click the link below. Otherwise, we'll cancel your order on June 14, 2012, if we haven't located it by then.
You'll still be able to cancel at any time before we ship it. If you want to cancel the item now, please click the link below:
By approving the new delivery estimate, you are letting us know that you still want the item(s).

We will make every effort to get the delayed item(s) to you as soon as possible. If there are other items in your order, they'll be shipped according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account at no additional cost.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this delay.

If you have more questions about this order, you can e-mail, phone, or chat with Customer Service using the following link:

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
http://www.amazon.com

Did anyone else get this email?
It turns that they never had any in stock. They couldn't believe that people actually wanted to purchase this item. Yet they had the cruddy SGP 3.6 on release day. This is the first time it has ever happend to me and this item was preordered. If the item is preordered I expect to get it earlier not 3 weeks later

Last edited by lollicup04; 05-19-2012 at 04:05 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-15-2012, 03:12 PM

Wow. Haven't gotten anything like that yet and I ordered it on May 13. Interesting that J&R now has it available, yet Amazon, one of the world's largest retailers, can't locate any? Did you call them ? I have a feeling the message about cancelling the order "by June 14" is standard language for them in situation like this and that they will have them in stock soon. Why would there be 4.0s, 5.0s, and 3.6s in stock but no 4.2s? They have to be on the way to Amazon.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:03 PM

Yeah, I got the email, although I preempted it by mailing them last night, so I was already in conversation with them when it arrived today. Basically they had some availability problems, they wouldn't elaborate, but that it would be delayed for an unknown amt of time. The suggested I cancel and buy from J&R if time is of the essence (from my daughter's POV it may be, lol). I decided to look at options tonight, but in the meantime ... I just got a new email from them a little bit ago:

Quote:
We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on May 07, 2012 (Order# xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

Estimated arrival date: May 17, 2012 - May 18, 2012

If you want to check on the progress of your order, take a look at this page in Your Account:
I don't know if it's a real date or not, but earlier today it literally said "we can't give you a new ship date" and now it says Thurs/Fri, that may be progress? I have one day shipping on this now FYI.

I think if you can wait, just don't think about it for a couple days. I'll probably wait til Friday & then go elsewhere if it hasn't shipped. If you can't wait, maybe you're better off cancelling & ordering from J&R, or even best buy (they have them in store now I see), just to put your mind at ease.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Unhappy

I just checked my email and it got an update from amazon as well

Hello,

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on May 07, 2012

Estimated arrival date: May 21, 2012

Thats a whole week and I preordered it.
This is very unlike amazon to do this to its prime members or any of its customers
I have it on two day prime shipping btw
Im hoping that they will be able to deliver it before the week ends

If you look at the amazon product detail area. You can see that they weren't even ready to deliver the product. The product information page is so much smaller compared to the other galaxy player product pages. I found that weird when I preordered the device from them. But I still ordered from amazon because they were so reliable in the past. They now have J&R instead of amazon as the ships and sold from company.

Update: Now it says Shipping Soon instead of Not Yet Shipped

Last edited by lollicup04; 05-15-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
If you look at the amazon product detail area. You can see that they weren't even ready to deliver the product.
Of course they weren't ready. That's the meaning of "preorder."
Quote:
I still ordered from amazon because they were so reliable in the past. They now have J&R instead of amazon as the ships and sold from company.
I'm not sure what you are thinking, but amazon can't control when they receive newly released products from the manufacturer (Samsung).

I think if you are this bothered, it might make sense for you to cancel & buy somewhere else, as I said in my last post. And it's actually cheaper if you buy from J&R, using a cashback site like upromise.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Best Buy?

Old 05-16-2012, 12:48 AM

I got an update from Amazon a few hours ago. My estimated date of delivery is now May 21 as well (I ordered it May 13). I have Prime as well so they should be shipping mine later this week.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddnhead View Post
Of course they weren't ready. That's the meaning of "preorder." I'm not sure what you are thinking, but amazon can't control when they receive newly released products from the manufacturer (Samsung).

I think if you are this bothered, it might make sense for you to cancel & buy somewhere else, as I said in my last post. And it's actually cheaper if you buy from J&R, using a cashback site like upromise.
I have preordered from amazon before and the meaning of preorder means is an order placed for an item which has not yet been released. Pre-orders allow consumers to guarantee prompt delivery on release, manufacturers can gauge how much demand there will be and hence how large initial production runs should be, and sellers can be assured of minimum sales. I have ordered from amazon before and have gotten products 1 or 2 days earlier and never like this. You make it seem like I am ticked off at amazon. I'm alittle upset but thats about it. I'm actually very patient otherwise I wouldn't have approved of the order to go through a second time. I bolded and underlined the key meaning for the word preorder so you know what it means.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I have preordered from amazon before and the meaning of preorder means is an order placed for an item which has not yet been released. Pre-orders allow consumers to guarantee prompt delivery on release, manufacturers can gauge how much demand there will be and hence how large initial production runs should be, and sellers can be assured of minimum sales. I have ordered from amazon before and have gotten products 1 or 2 days earlier and never like this. You make it seem like I am ticked off at amazon. I'm alittle upset but thats about it. I'm actually very patient otherwise I wouldn't have approved of the order to go through a second time. I bolded and underlined the key meaning for the word preorder so you know what it means.
Preorders were not available on this until 5/7. There is no way you and I placing an order on 5/7 is gonna allow Samsung to "gauge how much demand there will be and hence how large initial production runs should be." Do you seriously think that the devices shipping this week didn't exist on 5/7 ?!? Not even the infamous Steve Jobs could get his slave laborers at FoxConn to do production & shipping across the Pacific that fast, lol.

Some or all the initial delivery to amazon got delayed somehow. It looks like delivery was delayed 2+ days. That's all. $#%+ happens.

Last edited by puddnhead; 05-16-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 AM

Update: The amazon order has shipped and should be delivered Friday 5/18

Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Update: The amazon order has shipped and should be delivered Friday 5/18
just wonder how we can find out what DAC it has. If it sports the Wolfson DAC WM8994, I'll definitely get it since I only care for its SQ and some web browsing.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtiger View Post
just wonder how we can find out what DAC it has. If it sports the Wolfson DAC WM8994, I'll definitely get it since I only care for its SQ and some web browsing.
If you tell me how, I'll check. Mine is in town & out for delivery in the truck right now & I'll have time to look at it after work tonight.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 AM

Lightbulb

Update: Received the SGP 4.2 but did not open it and am returning it for full refund. I decided to purchase the SGP 4.0 instead on amazon since it is $50 cheaper and is an overall better device than the SGP 4.2. At this price its a steal. The SGP 3.6 costs the same but the SGP 4.0 is so much better.

It turns out that Samsung just wants to sell more Galaxy Players by lowering the price but by doing this they also lowered the screen, processor, and camera quality. Remember when the Galaxy players first came out the SGP 4.0 cost $240! and the SGP 5.0 cost $269!

The reason the price for these were so much higher was because they put in a better camera, processor (graphics), and screen into them. We only had to wait 7 months for them to lower the prices if you exclude Black Friday and Special Christmas Deals.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Update: Received the SGP 4.2 but did not open it and am returning it for full refund. I decided to purchase the SGP 4.0 instead on amazon since it is $50 cheaper and is an overall better device than the SGP 4.2. At this price its a steal. The SGP 3.6 costs the same but the SGP 4.0 is so much better.

It turns out that Samsung just wants to sell more Galaxy Players by lowering the price but by doing this they also lowered the screen, processor, and camera quality. Remember when the Galaxy players first came out the SGP 4.0 cost $240! and the SGP 5.0 cost $269!

The reason the price for these were so much higher was because they put in a better camera, processor (graphics), and screen into them. We only had to wait 7 months for them to lower the prices if you exclude Black Friday and Special Christmas Deals.
You so crazy ! The 4.2 does have a better screen than the 4.0; The 4.0 uses a Super Cleard LCD display while the 4.2 has a IPS Display but BOTH Still have a 800 x 480 WVGA Display (Not HVGA like Best Buy would like you to believe, it mixed up it's specs with the 3.6). Seeing as you might have not even turned the freakin thing on I guess you'll never know how good an ips display is. My Tablet(Ranked #1 best Android Tablet on the market right now, the Asus Transformer Prime) has a ips+ display and it's super sharp and clear.

The processor has been mentioned as an upgraded version for the 4.2 (over the 4.0) asktheandroidguy mentions the 4.2 is alot snappier than the 4.0 (which he also owns).

Don't give a crap about the camera though imo as I got a 16mp camera that is loads better than any phone/mp3 player/tablet and I can post pics with it's built in wifi too.
I also don't plan on playing games on the 4.2 because my Tablet's Tegra 3 is loads better than 90% of the phone/mp3 player/tablets on the market right now. Play Shadowgun on a Tegra 3 device and you'll be impressed - does not compare to other versions at all (GTAIII plays alot better on my tablet too).

Old 05-19-2012, 04:10 PM

i agree with lollicup. i would rather have (and do have) the 4.0 after reading all of the facts about both devices.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 PM

I received the 4.2 from Amazon yesterday and played with it a bit. The screen resolution if fine for me. I just did a quick Internet browsing test, comparing it to my 3rd generation iPod Touch (64 GB) and the 4.2 is about twice as fast navigating to sites like Google or Yahoo.
I installed Poweramp and Equalizer, and the sound with my headphones (Shure 425s) is awesome. The camera is average at best, fine for uploading to Facebook or for 4 x 6 prints. I took some photos outdoors in bright sunshine and the resolution is fine. I didn't really buy this for the camera so the 2.0 megapixel is no big deal. Overall, so far so good!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangel28 View Post
I received the 4.2 from Amazon yesterday and played with it a bit. The screen resolution if fine for me. I just did a quick Internet browsing test, comparing it to my 3rd generation iPod Touch (64 GB) and the 4.2 is about twice as fast navigating to sites like Google or Yahoo.
I installed Poweramp and Equalizer, and the sound with my headphones (Shure 425s) is awesome. The camera is average at best, fine for uploading to Facebook or for 4 x 6 prints. I took some photos outdoors in bright sunshine and the resolution is fine. I didn't really buy this for the camera so the 2.0 megapixel is no big deal. Overall, so far so good!

That's great to hear, the 4.0/5.0 camp seem to be stuck on the old models thinking the 4.2 is a downgrade instead of an upgrade, which the 4.2 is - Faster Processor, better Display (bigger and IPS), Front Facing Speakers. As stated by you and me, the camera is not a deal breaker for me. Also, the resolution is not the problem people are having with the 4.2 - it's that it doesn't have this "Super Clear" LCD that the 4.0/5.0 have but if people were to even see an IPS LCD, their minds would change. It's just like Apple fan saying "Retina" is da bomb when Super AMOLED is loads better than it...

Old 05-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1writer View Post
That's great to hear, the 4.0/5.0 camp seem to be stuck on the old models thinking the 4.2 is a downgrade instead of an upgrade, which the 4.2 is - Faster Processor, better Display (bigger and IPS), Front Facing Speakers. As stated by you and me, the camera is not a deal breaker for me. Also, the resolution is not the problem people are having with the 4.2 - it's that it doesn't have this "Super Clear" LCD that the 4.0/5.0 have but if people were to even see an IPS LCD, their minds would change. It's just like Apple fan saying "Retina" is da bomb when Super AMOLED is loads better than it...
I can say that the 4.2 is a downgrade in a way because there's not really improvement: (better processor but not that much, new design.) The thing I would like to know is why does samsung don't upgrade to ICS both of them.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1writer View Post
You so crazy ! The 4.2 does have a better screen than the 4.0; The 4.0 uses a Super Cleard LCD display while the 4.2 has a IPS Display
I've learned not to judge screens until I have a chance to look at them. If the 4.2 screen is the same or better than the 4.0 then it is indeed a good thing. Don't fall into the trap of believing that all IPS displays are made equal though.

Quote:
Don't give a crap about the camera though imo as I got a 16mp camera that is loads better than any phone/mp3 player/tablet and I can post pics with it's built in wifi too.
Well that is all very well and good but that is sort of besides the point. The resolution downgrade isn't necessarily a deal breaker though. The camera in the 4.0 was a bust, not because of the resolution but because of the insane shutter lag and perplexing lack of 720p video recording mode. If these issues were fixed, I'd consider that an upgrade.

Quote:
I also don't plan on playing games on the 4.2
Fair enough, but the fact that Samsung bundles games with the new 4.2, means that they are interested in attracting that kind of audience. That said, I don't think the GPU changes will affect the most common casual games (Angry Birds, Scramble with Friends etc.)

All in all, I don't think it is a bad device, just ill suited for anyone who has previously purchased a 4.0 or 5.0.

Tags
amazon, samsung galaxy player, samsung galaxy player 4.2