android
Old 05-18-2012, 02:31 PM

Default SGP 5.0 with Note functionality?

Hi all, lurked this site for a long time but this is my first post.

I've been looking at getting an Android device to replace my Rock boxed 5g Ipod and the Moleskine notebook I carry in my pocket.

I saw the Galaxy Note which is exactly what I want, but it's really expensive and I don't really need the device to work as a phone (Though it would be nice) as I don't have a data plan and don't want one.

The Galaxy Player 5.0 looks great because it's cheap and the same screen size, however it doesn't have the S-Pen. Is there anyway I can add that functionality to the SGP 5.0? I may be mistaken, but it seems that the Note has apps specific to the device that make good use of the stylus which I would like to have.

If I can't, are there other note taking apps that would work well? I use Springpad on my computer currently to organize things which has an android app.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, you can buy a capacitive stylus which should work, if you really wanted.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:59 AM

I suspect the note taking experience will be a lot better on the devices optimized for it. Active vs Passive digitizer among other things come into play. Also on that small galaxy note screen I do not know what kind of notes you think are worth taking that justify the price? 5.3 inches is big for a phone but puny for a tablet.

You can not really fit a lot of handwriting on it and if the goal is to annotate pdf's and such the screen is too small to comfortably view pdf's. I will not pay 500 euros for the privilege to doodle. The good thing about having old school pen and paper is that it is inexpensive and quite flexible. If you want to give someone else a note you can just rip a page out and give it to them, or copy it. With electronic devices you are also stuck with the one physical size. You can not spread out multiple sheets across a table for simultaneous reference.

If the point is to get something that is truly capable of taking notes I'd suggest you hold off for a while until prices come down. Then either get a large tablet and stylus (like that galaxy note 10.1 when it finally hits) or an ultrabook (if you will be typing many words), or if you just need to jot down a memo here and there you can use an app like evernote to sync your notes between devices.

tl;dr: tablet beats scissors, scissors beats paper and paper beats tablet

Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
I suspect the note taking experience will be a lot better on the devices optimized for it. Active vs Passive digitizer among other things come into play. Also on that small galaxy note screen I do not know what kind of notes you think are worth taking that justify the price? 5.3 inches is big for a phone but puny for a tablet.

You can not really fit a lot of handwriting on it and if the goal is to annotate pdf's and such the screen is too small to comfortably view pdf's. I will not pay 500 euros for the privilege to doodle. The good thing about having old school pen and paper is that it is inexpensive and quite flexible. If you want to give someone else a note you can just rip a page out and give it to them, or copy it. With electronic devices you are also stuck with the one physical size. You can not spread out multiple sheets across a table for simultaneous reference.

If the point is to get something that is truly capable of taking notes I'd suggest you hold off for a while until prices come down. Then either get a large tablet and stylus (like that galaxy note 10.1 when it finally hits) or an ultrabook (if you will be typing many words), or if you just need to jot down a memo here and there you can use an app like evernote to sync your notes between devices.

tl;dr: tablet beats scissors, scissors beats paper and paper beats tablet
Awesome, thanks. I didn't mean for class or anything, but jotting things down. I take notes on paper because that way I usually don't need to look back at them because I remember them.

I really just want it as an organizer, and the drawings apps would be nice but I don't believe that the one that comes with the Note is any better than after market ones (probably worse, actually).

Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM

Yeah, from what I have read, the handwriting and drawing capability on the Note is really overplayed. It's pretty crude. You;d think that you should be able to write on it with a very pointy stylus much like you can write on paper but I think it's more analagous to using a big fat marker on a post-it. Not a lot of precision. Samsung does some very clever and emotional ads with creative people developing their entire graphic and writing workflow around the Note. Well, it makes for good adwork but I don't think it measures up to reality.

The SGP 5.0 is an amazing device, with a very usable screen and still pocketable. Even though the Autodesk Sketchbook Mobile app is really great (like a photoshop lite), I still carry a paper sketchbook(s) in my bag. You can get pdf creator apps to use the camera to shoot and then convert to pdf. The app (Cam Scanner pdf) also corrects for key-stoning (out-of-square images) and corrects for contrast, if you want. Then "share" via any social media or email, etc. Pretty cool. So you can pdf images of your sketchbook anytime you have wifi connection.

You MAY be able to get some kind of groovy workflow going with the SketchBook Mobile app and Evernote, but I'd vote for paper sketching and notes. And you've always got hardcopy and a nice sketchbook for the record.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM

The SGP 5 has handwriting capability. I have tried it and as long as you write clearly it does work and converts your handwriting into text. Any stylus will work as it is just replacing your finger.

If you happen to be where you have a wifi connection you can also take notes through voice recognition also and this works well as long as there is not a lot of background noise interfering.

There are note taking apps that are free to download and there is a memo app and a diary app that comes in the SGP 5.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, so long as the stylus is a capacitive-designed one. Any old thing won't be picked up by the capacitive screen...