android
Old 05-26-2012, 01:47 PM

Default Gmate? also a batt Q

Hey all,

Does anyone have experience (or an informed opinion) on the Gmate? I read about it elsewhere and I'm intrigued. Apparently, it's a device/software that allows you to connect to the web, send/receive SMS/make and take calls via a GSM SIM that you insert into the device.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how you'd pay for the GSM SIM card use for things life calls (maybe obvious) or internet.

-Also, how's the battery life for the your SGP5.0? (ie how much juice are you squeezing from the sucker? i've charged it for the first time a few days ago and got roughly 17? hours w/ music, wifi, app d/ls, misc. is that good or bad, relatively?)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Never heard of the GMate.

I usually get through roughly half my battery life over the course of a day. That would be probably around an hour or two of apps, two-three hours of videos (half on the device, half streaming), and possibly around 2 hours of music. I'd say 17 hours of mixed usage isn't bad, but could possibly be better.

I use Elixir 2 (monitoring CPU usage) and Android Assistant (closing background apps) to squeeze as much out as possible. I would experiment with stuff, if I were you. Sometimes using apps like these can extend life, sometimes they can do nothing at all, and sometimes they can diminish life.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:12 AM

Ok. Sounds similar to what I'm getting. I've just heard some large claims that was nowhere close to what I was getting, so I was like ....eh?

I've been

About the GMATE- http://www.skyroam.com/index.php

Depending, it looks like a viable option for making free calls (or free-ish in my case), if you combine
a) GMATE's wifi (at a glance, it seems free) via the GPS connection (?)
b)
1)Google voice + GrooveIP (or a similar prog., in my case)
2) if the SIM option for calls was free, which I doubt.

In another forum (XDA), it seems like a go for the international version. No word on the US version, from a glance.
---

Actually different question (and maybe I should post in a different thread? But it seems like I've been posting too much recently? Arg. They joys and pains of a new gadget)-

So I'm slowly transitioning to the Go Launcher (possibly to AWD Launcher Ex // Cyanogen 9 later once its more stable and I root) and have no default set atm. It seems like the stock launcher's opening (with applicable widgets), taking up space. IS there a way to disable ..."auto"-launch? (eg if I launch Go Launcher when the system starts, the stock player doesn't and vice versa)

Also, is there a way to put the player to "sleep"? Idle seems to take 9% battery according to the stock "battery info" program.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljokingaside View Post
About the GMATE- http://www.skyroam.com/index.php

Depending, it looks like a viable option for making free calls (or free-ish in my case), if you combine
a) GMATE's wifi (at a glance, it seems free) via the GPS connection (?)
<snip>
Think of the Gmate like a car radio with your PMP acting as a head unit. The Gmate is really just a phone without the interface.

Unfortunately there is nothing free about using it. You WILL need a SIM card and a mobile provider with a GSM network. For the US that means either AT&T or T-Mobile as far as national carriers go (I think). Additionally, if you want to do mobile Internet, you'll need a data plan.

On the specs page they only mention EDGE/GPRS for data which isn't that great. It works but it is the fall-back technology used when 3G isn't available. The other thing is that it connects to your PMP by bluetooth so you can expect additional drain on your battery.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:13 AM

http://www.straighttalk.com/shopsims just found out about this, stick in there SIM and works on GSM phones I guess the Gmate could use it then you get unlimited everything for 45 bucks.