android
Old 05-26-2012, 03:31 PM

I'm trying to figure out how the 4.2 is really better than the 5.0, if it truly is.

The 4.2 has the advantage on smaller size, replaceable battery and ips screen.

The 5.0 has the advantage of camera flash, larger battery, easily accessible microsd.

I had both the 4.0 and 5.0 at one time and picked the 5.0 over the 4.0

To me, the 4.2 would seem to be a cost cut 4.0 while the 5.0 is still in a class by itself.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
I'm trying to figure out how the 4.2 is really better than the 5.0, if it truly is.

The 5.0 has the advantage of camera flash, larger battery, easily accessible microsd.

To me, the 4.2 would seem to be a cost cut 4.0 while the 5.0 is still in a class by itself.
So you weren't seduced by the mythical Wolfson DAC chip then? I've wondered if there is really a sound difference or if it really is all hype.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:07 PM

To me the 5.0 sounds better and has more dynamic power.

I might be wrong but I thought the 5.0 utilized a Wolfson WM8994.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
So you weren't seduced by the mythical Wolfson DAC chip then? I've wondered if there is really a sound difference or if it really is all hype.
oh stop it ! If anything, have you bother playing with one at Best Buy. Some allow you to play it extensively, even allowing you to pop out your own headphones to hear the differences between the two. I found that the 4.0/4.2 have better bass and had a sharper clarity than the 5.0. I guess it boils down to the headset you are using as I tried my blind test with my 150ohm earbuds (Yuin PK1). As stated in the sound quality thread, I never said the 5.0 sounds bad - it just sounds slightly different (due to the yamaha dac - no, it doesn't have a wolfson) from what I'm use to.

Also, unlike the 3.6, 4.0,and 5.0 - the 4.2 is the only player out of all of them that actually looks like an advanced MP3 player instead of a phone (which the 3.6, 4.0, and 5.0 do) due to the overall sleek design and [proper] stereo speakers in the front of the 4.2.

Despite the downgraded camera and gpu, this is a good small upgrade of the 2011 models released. Everyone has different tastes of course and to each their own for their opinions.
I do recommend if anything that people don't jump on the "why would you get the 4.2 when you can get the x.x (4.0/5.0/3.6)" bandwagon. I and a few others have had a chance to try them all (short period or not) and came to a better conclusion/opinion than the others who have not.

I then recommend as well to mosey down to your local Best Buy or Electronic store that has these on display and play with them and see for yourself. Not saying it will change your mind if it's already set, just so you have a better understanding where I and many other's are coming from. Look at all the Samsung Players and as a consumer jumping in it for the first time, you tell me which of the devices are going to stand out? The screen sizes will be obvious along with the size of the players themselves but design wise only one looks different from the others, which one? It's a pretty obvious answer...

P.S Where the heck is dfkt, he would have a better understanding between sound dacs to explain that a certain set sounds better than the other (imo, I still believe the Sansa Clip sounds better than any device I heard w/ no equalizer or sound enhancements).

Old 05-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Nope, it has a Yamaha chip.....which frankly sounds just fine to me.
Marvin... have you ever owned a Cowon device (or heard one at least)? Some individuals like myself have gotten accustomed to a sound quality that never leaves their expectations. It's the one of the only reasons why I'm dead center on the 4.0/4.2, because I know it has the same dac as my Cowon J3 had. It's like people who own stereo headsets that swear it sounds better than simulated surround sound headset [for gaming].

Another topic in of itself of course, but it boils down to if a specific group likes a particular sound signature, they usually stick to it - the reason why apple owners (or lovers like Donald Bell) swear up and down that it's the best sounding players despite of course that not being entirely the case, there are better sound players out there. Maybe not to you but to a few others yes...

... have you even tried the 4.2 yet Marvin? Held it in your hand - it just feels, looks, and sound very different from the others I've at least owned...

Old 05-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
To me the 5.0 sounds better and has more dynamic power.

I might be wrong but I thought the 5.0 utilized a Wolfson WM8994.
Nope, it is a Yamaha, although I am unaware of the model number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da1writer View Post
oh stop it ! If anything, have you bother playing with one at Best Buy. Some allow you to play it extensively, even allowing you to pop out your own headphones to hear the differences between the two. I found that the 4.0/4.2 have better bass and had a sharper clarity than the 5.0. I guess it boils down to the headset you are using as I tried my blind test with my 150ohm earbuds (Yuin PK1). As stated in the sound quality thread, I never said the 5.0 sounds bad - it just sounds slightly different (due to the yamaha dac - no, it doesn't have a wolfson) from what I'm use to.
I would be curious to hear the 4.0/4.2, but there's not a Best Buy terribly close to me, given that I have no car. And I'd hesitate to compare unless they let me put my own card in it so I could hear my own files instead of something pre-loaded.
Quote:

P.S Where the heck is dfkt, he would have a better understanding between sound dacs to explain that a certain set sounds better than the other (imo, I still believe the Sansa Clip sounds better than any device I heard w/ no equalizer or sound enhancements).
The AMS Sansas are certainly among the best I've heard, too.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've tried them both and haven't heard a difference. My SGP sounds on par (using RockBox/PowerAMP/jetAudio) with my Sansa Clip. I actually prefer my ZuneHD's sound, but that may very well be placebo, and it isn't enough of a difference for me to care.

IMO, the 5.0 looks better than the 4.2, despite its white backplate. But, that is of course personal preference.

I don't like to speak to the sound quality of a player I've heard in such a limited capacity as I have the 4.0, as I've only been in to Best Buy once to try it, but it didn't sound different at all to me. Maybe Voodoo makes a big difference.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Marvin... have you ever owned a Cowon device (or heard one at least)? Some individuals like myself have gotten accustomed to a sound quality that never leaves their expectations. It's the one of the only reasons why I'm dead center on the 4.0/4.2, because I know it has the same dac as my Cowon J3 had.
Actually, yes....I had a D2 and an i9.

Quote:
Another topic in of itself of course, but it boils down to if a specific group likes a particular sound signature, they usually stick to it - the reason why apple owners (or lovers like Donald Bell) swear up and down that it's the best sounding players despite of course that not being entirely the case, there are better sound players out there. Maybe not to you but to a few others yes...
Actually, I thought that without any EQ/enhancements enabled, that the i9 was better than the D2, and equal to my 4th-gen Touch (and my AMS Sansas). I think I would rate the 5.0 slightly behind the i9/Touch/Sansas. In all fairness, I've read that the difference is more noticeable with sensitive IEM's, but I can't use them.

Quote:
... have you even tried the 4.2 yet Marvin? Held it in your hand - it just feels, looks, and sound very different from the others I've at least owned...
I would be interested in checking out the 4.0 and 4.2, but I'm not in the market at this point....I have a Sony A867 coming in a couple of days to round out my collection.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
I've tried them both and haven't heard a difference. My SGP sounds on par (using RockBox/PowerAMP/jetAudio) with my Sansa Clip. I actually prefer my ZuneHD's sound, but that may very well be placebo, and it isn't enough of a difference for me to care.

IMO, the 5.0 looks better than the 4.2, despite its white backplate. But, that is of course personal preference.

I don't like to speak to the sound quality of a player I've heard in such a limited capacity as I have the 4.0, as I've only been in to Best Buy once to try it, but it didn't sound different at all to me. Maybe Voodoo makes a big difference.
And agree, it does boil down to preference. I can see why many go with the 5.0 as it has a much better readable screen (aka less squinting). I have a Sony Playstation Vita and it looks gorgeous with a 5" screen - so I can fully understand why other's would grab the 5.0 (heck, I can't imagine the PSVita having a 4" screen, might be too small.)

I myself, saw no need of another 5" device as I kinda already owned one. IMO, I see many positive prospects of the 4.2 that really interest me (speaker placement, easy to hold/type one handed, like the sleek design) and just couldn't waver that weird phone vibe the 4.0, 5.0, and 3.6 happily display (and I'm sure is useful once bluetoothed and hilarious as your friends think you have two phones).

To each their own of course, I'm sure if I was in the state I'm in currently earlier this year (feeling it was time to dump the outdated mp3 model for a wifi now version), I would have grabbed the 4.0 (I was still planning to buy a Vita since E3 last year)...

Old 05-27-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:

the 4.0 and 5.0 are much better, becuase of processor, sound quality, screen, gpu, and camera... im not sure where u got the illusion the 4.2 is better but ull be soundly dissapointed with its gaming ability

Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsmith11 View Post
the 4.0 and 5.0 are much better, becuase of processor, sound quality, screen, gpu, and camera... im not sure where u got the illusion the 4.2 is better but ull be soundly dissapointed with its gaming ability
Kind of a strong blanket statment to make. With gaming, for example, I would qualify the point about the 4.0 being "faster". If you are playing games like Angry Birds, Words with Friends and other popular casual gaming titles, you won't see a difference. You will see a difference in 3D titles but lets face it, the 4.0 wasn't great at those either (good but not great.)

The more I read the 1st hand accounts the more I believe that the 4.2 isn't any better or worse than the 4.0. It is just a similar product with different priorities.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Never held the 4.2 for yourself have ya? I have held all 4 @ Best Buy (3.6, 4.0, 4.2, 5.0) and they each suit different peoples tastes. All are equally capable of pleasing all and in actuality just boils down to personal preference. Not a one is better than the other, they are just different and have their positives AND Negatives.

The 5.0 has a great sized screen for people who dislike squinting and for easy navigation on the web. It's sound quality is good enough (yamaha Dac) and GPU is bit better than the 4.2 and 3.6 for intense 3d gaming (some 3D games still work well on those two but some no, like GTA3 - 2d games run fine on the all the Samsung Galaxy Players). Camera is just like the 4.0 with it's auto focus ( and ok 3.2mp lens) but the 5.0 differs a bit with it's flash - which usually produces better pictures (subjective to opinion). It's only negative is that the screen isn't as sharp as the 4.0 and 4.2 (normal LCD < Super Clear / IPS). Personal preference problem is that some like large player and some do not (some find that typing in addresses one handed is a bit cumbersome).

The 4.0 is for people who wish for a more smaller size for easy typing via one handed. It's sharp Super Clear Display is pretty great and like the 5.0, the gpu is more than capable for running intense 3d games. A removable battery is great just in case it dies before you think it should (pop in spare batteries is a good thing). Very good sound quality (Wolfson Dac) and exact 3.2mp camera that the 5.0 has (w/o flash) round out the package - though Amazon's sweet ~$150 price tag really makes you question what the purpose of people buying the 3.6 model would be. Only Negative would be that with the screen size being a bit smaller than the 5.0, squinting and zooming will be unavoidable. Personal preference problem is that some like the easy access on the 5.0 in regards to the microsd slot, the 4.0 requires you to pop off the back cover if you want to hot-swap memory cards.

The 3.6 popped out of no where with it being the smallest brother out of the Samsung Galaxy Player line. Probably suited for younger kids (or Apple fans to scrutinize over/ compare the 3.6" screen to theirs) - it's already a great deal for [uninformed] parents who want a cheap android player that still has good quality hardware with no contracts that a phone entails. With a small 3.6" screen it's size is perfect for little hands like children and it's $150 looks great at the local electronics retailer like Best Buy. Even though This device may have a slimmer size, the body style is exactly the same as the 4.0 and 5.0 - so why does it even exist if Amazon undermines the whole thing with the 4.0 costing $10 less if parents or anyone were informed of the deal. It also doesn't help that the 3.6 sports cutbacks to even get to that $150 price point - regular lcd at a horrible screen resolution, GPU is slightly inferior to the 4.0 and 5.0 (though the cpu in the 3.6 is an upgrade over the 4.0/5.0, it's gpu doesn't help things), and many will also sneer over the 2.0mp fixed focus camera. This is one I would think people would flat out bury with their criticism yet it is the 4.2 getting ram rodded (*confused*)?

The 4.2 is a middle ground device with enough screen size to please any, especially since it is also sharp w/ it's IPS display showing extremely wide angles. Like the 4.0, it is easy typing in web addresses one handed and Sound quality is a match to the 4.0 as well (Wolfson Dac).

The ace up the 4.2's sleeve is the one thing that consumers will notice over all four of the Galaxy Player line - the 4.2 looks ENTIRELY different over the 3.6, 4.0, and 5.0. Instead of taking the same design route as the 3.6, 4.0, and 5.0, which all look like a phone - the 4.2 looks like an actual MP3 player, moreso a very good looking mp3 player. The design of the 4.2 is leagues better [opinion] than all the rest of the Galaxy player's: it's incredibly thinner than all of them, have a very sleek sexy body (hmm... should I retract this, naah), and the stereo Speakers are in the front unlike 99% of the mp3 players on the market that have them in the back like the 3.6, 4.0, and 4.2.
While all four are pretty loud in regards to the speakers on them - the front speakers on the 4.2 allow you to enjoy the audio out of the device alot better than the rest [opinion?], especially since it comes out alot clearer.

Despite all this the 4.2 still gets group raped by almost everyone here besides the few here and owners of the device itself or those who actually played with them all at a local Electronics store (3.6, 4.0, 4.2, and 5.0 side by side in the open display). Negatively charged spec scrutinizers love the 4.2 like a wrestler loves a chair to beat the crap out of the other opponent. Truths can't be hidden of course but just because the camera (2.0mp Fixed Focus) and gpu (530 < 540) are a bit of a downgrade, Everythng else I mentioned above about the 4.2 is still great. Samsung thinks so too and is the reason why it's still selling all four still together, not forcing any device out or phasing out the others like people thinking the 4.2 is replacing the 4.0 when it is not.

I can see why 4.0 and 5.0 owners get all defensive. It's like how launch 360/PS3 owners see no reason to go to the "Slim" models. They both do the same thing and only the looks have changed along with a few other things but is it worth going with something else? To some, no - but there is other markets out there and people who want something new or different, so the answer is also a yes to some.

Personal preference comes to play of course and with current owners of 4.0 or 5.0 see no reason to buy the 4.2, does it make it a horrible device that people are making out to be - no. Some current 4.0 /5.0 owners want this (and have bought it) and people who are new to this Galaxy Player world are interested, the user reviews have been positive so far (despite 1 user who doesn't know what an exchange system is). Some people prefer the larger size of the 5.0 for easy web browsing and less eye strain; Some like the 4.0 due to it being very pocketable and easy one handed typing (they also like that super clear display); And some like the 4.2 due to it's looks and front stereo speakers. [Let's not mention the 3.6] They are all great and serve a need and purpose for different people. We are all Samsung Galaxy Player fans here and while I'm one to back pedal here recently - we don' have to shoot each other here (especially those interested in the 4.2 or are undecided).

P.S. Not even spoken much but we are all also Android fans here - we are a different breed of owners [ and lovers ]. We could be like most of the population that only owns Apple devices and don't know what freedom and deep customizations that make the device - YOUR DEVICE - entirely different from someone else's. Also would like to apologize, some people here and iaudiophile know I live up to my username and write long passages sometimes.

Last edited by da1writer; 05-27-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
Kind of a strong blanket statment to make. With gaming, for example, I would qualify the point about the 4.0 being "faster". If you are playing games like Angry Birds, Words with Friends and other popular casual gaming titles, you won't see a difference. You will see a difference in 3D titles but lets face it, the 4.0 wasn't great at those either (good but not great.)

The more I read the 1st hand accounts the more I believe that the 4.2 isn't any better or worse than the 4.0. It is just a similar product with different priorities.
lol what the hell are you talking about??? How many titles have u played on the 4.0??? it performs on par with any tegra 2 or snapdragon s3 device. but u didnt know that did u? i play modern combat 2/3 nova 2 hd, and gta 3 with no lag similar to my moto atrix 4g or my friends htc rezound. but u just ignorantly commented based on assumptions right? wen u say the 4.0 wasnt that great what are you comparing it to? the ps3 slim? or the new glossy black xbox 360???? think before u comment.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

lol the ignorance here. No need to tee off on anyone, because trust me, you sound just as much like you're talking out your ass.

For the lulz, I'll stop back in after the holiday and give the players another whirl. I can say this right now: I still have trouble getting the game Frontline Commando working well (i.e. w/o lagging) on my 5.0 as well as a couple other games that I can't quite remember at the moment, even with overclocking it to 1.3GHz. So no, it does not perform on par with modern Android phones. For example, Frontline Commando works just fine on my old man's SGSII without any overclocking or anything.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
well first of all i have no idea how u could say the 3.6 or 4.2's omap 3 is an upgrade to the 4.0/5.0 hummingbird. the hummingbird cpu is faster than the omap 3 and has been proven tim and time again. all experts agree that the omap 3 is slowset in class, not just gpu wie but cpu as well.and the super clear lcd is better than ips and the display of the 4.2 (ive used both not just held and i have several ips devices). and the 4.0 is no middle ground device. its for people who want a pocket able powerful pmp. and yes the 4.0 and 5.0 are better than the 4.2 and 3.6 (super clear lcd>ips, hummingbird> omap 3, 3.2mp autofocus with hq recording> 2mp fixed focus with vga recording, 5.5gb availiable storage > 4.6 gb availiable strorage). face it the only reason people like the 4.2 is for its unique look. but the 4.0/5.0/3.6 looks beter and either way that PERSONAL PREFERENCE. so yes there all good devices but obviously the 4.0/5.0 is better dont pull lengthy explainations out of ur ass but bring siple facts.
Guess you are right, I have no clue what I'm talking about. The 4.0 and 5.0 are waay better than the 4.2 - don't know why anyone would buy it. Even with the 4.0 having only 384mb of ram and the 4.2 having a bit more near the 512mb ram (reason why Samsung said the 4.2 will get the ics upgrade). Meh, guess that doesn't matter nor does the positive user reviews of the 4.2 so far, guess looks aren't everything if the hardware is dreadfully downgraded. Maybe I'll just go buy the 4.0 since it's better ... I am new to the Samsung Galaxy brand after all - Been a Cowon user for years...

...maybe I should have stayed there and just sadly buy the Z2 closed android player

Last edited by da1writer; 05-27-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Guess you are right, I have no clue what I'm talking about. The 4.0 and 5.0 are waay better than the 4.2 - don't know why anyone would buy it. Even with the 4.0 having only 384mb of ram and the 4.2 having a bit more near the 512mb ram (reason why Samsung said the 4.2 will get the ics upgrade). Meh, guess that doesn't matter nor does the positive user reviews of the 4.2 so far, guess looks aren't everything if the hardware is dreadfully downgraded. Maybe I'll just go buy the 4.0 since it's better ... I am new to the Samsung Galaxy brand after all - Been a Cowon user for years...

...maybe I should have stayed there and just sadly buy the Z2 closed android player
the 128 mb of ram missing from the 4.0/5.0 is dedicated to its gpu like EVERY galaxy s 1 device. and where did samsung say they would update the 4.2? the infuse 4g, galaxy tab 1, and 3.6 have the same amount of ram. but there not going to get the update.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
the 128 mb of ram missing from the 4.0/5.0 is dedicated to its gpu like EVERY galaxy s 1 device. and where did samsung say they would update the 4.2? the infuse 4g, galaxy tab 1, and 3.6 have the same amount of ram. but there not going to get the update.
Like I mentioned before, I'm very uninformed, PC Mag is who mentioned about the ics upgrade.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400827,00.asp

But what do Samsung and PC Mag know - they could just be spouting off the mouth.
Don't worry though, I'm at least in the loop now and more undecided than ever. At least I updated my sig to reflect my decision to still look into both but maybe I'll start researching the Cowon z2 as well. Loved the Cowon Sound signature and friendly community...

Old 05-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And to be back on topic, sort of....
Quote:
How would you change Samsung's Galaxy Player 4.0?
By Daniel Cooper posted May 27th 2012 11:06PM
Feature

Samsung's sub-$200 Galaxy Player offers up PMP-stylings inside a smartphone shell. When our reviewer put it through its paceshttp://www.engadget.com/2011/12/12/g...er-4-0-review/ we couldn't find much to commend it -- with poor sound quality and battery life that wouldn't manage a long-haul flight. The expandable storage and removable battery made it more desirable than the equivalent iPod touch, but given that it was retailing for $20 more (at the time), we'd have said go for a GoGear or D3 instead. But we suspect that despite our advice, some of you bought one, so tell us how you've found it on a daily basis and what should the company do when it comes time for a refresh?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/27/h...xy-player-4-0/

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 05-27-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
My theory, started off serious, realized he was making everyone dislike him, turned troll...

Yo marv, did you read the comments on the article you posted? God I hate engadget. People simultaneously hailing the iPod as the greatest thing man ever received and the superior sound of HiFiMan...
Definitely a clueless bunch....
Blah blah why don't you get a smartphone
Touch blows this away
HifiMan

Well, I have a 4th-gen Touch, and I would not say it blows the SGP away. I use them both equally.
HifiMan?
Get a smartphone? Carriers and their extortionate contracts aren't my cup of tea.

and then if you look at what Engadget themselves said.....
poor sound quality and battery life that wouldn't manage a long-haul flight.
we'd have said go for a GoGear or D3 instead.

Well, I don't find the sound quality to be poor at all, even in the 5.0.
And after reading dfkt's review of the D3, I'm quiote happy I ended up with an SGP.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Administrator

I've done a cleanup here. I may do some more, I'm still reading. The long timers know this but let me say it for the new members.

You need to find a way disagree without making it personal. Period.

Flamebait and personal insults aren't part of how you express yourself here. There's a way to disagree without being personally insulting. If the way to do that doesn't come to you immediately, you need to back away from the keyboard until it does.

Please don't make me need to deal with this again.

Thread open.