android
Old 05-28-2012, 02:50 AM

Default 4.2 screen vs. 5.0?

I got the 5.0 yesterday and I'm not loving the screen so far. Most things looks fine, but I'm using it mainly as a news reader, and the white background only really looks good unless I'm looking at the screen square on. As soon as I tilt it even a few degrees it starts washing off and acquires kind of a yellowy tint. Can anyone comment on whether the 4.2 improves on this? I read that the 4.2 uses an IPS screen so this gives me hope.

Thanks! Nir

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-28-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirslsk View Post
I got the 5.0 yesterday and I'm not loving the screen so far. Most things looks fine, but I'm using it mainly as a news reader, and the white background only really looks good unless I'm looking at the screen square on. As soon as I tilt it even a few degrees it starts washing off and acquires kind of a yellowy tint. Can anyone comment on whether the 4.2 improves on this? I read that the 4.2 uses an IPS screen so this gives me hope.

Thanks! Nir
If you can get to your local best buy or electronic store that keeps the samsung galaxy players out in display, the 4.2 should be there. First hand, I found the 4.2 really great in regards to viewing angles - of course this is due to the ips display. Now it isn't as sharp as the super clear screen on the 4.0 but it's good enough. It's best for you to check it out yourself to make better comparisons. Or wait for a 4.2/4.0/5.0 combo owner to arrive in this thread - The amount of people like that on this part of the forums can be counted on one hand :P

Old 05-28-2012, 03:10 AM

I get what you're saying. My local Best Buy doesn't have the 4.2 on display yet, or at least they didn't when I was there yesterday. I guess I'll check again in a week or so. If a 4.2/5.0 owner does happen to chance upon this thread in the meantime, I'd appreciate any input such a mythical being might be able to provide

Old 05-28-2012, 05:38 AM

I have the 4.0 and can tell you I love it. I hardly read stuff with a white background as it burns out my eyes. It's so bright. If you can go for the 4.2 it's newer. But 4.0 is great! the viewing angles are great, never had any problems with the viewing angle and I'm using a screen protector. I just checked it and I have to tilt it almost flat to get a bad screen experience. The 5.0 is nice on size though.
4.2 also has a bigger screen which is better for reading.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:36 AM

I guess I'm that unusual guy that has the 4.0, 4.2 and 5.0 SGP.

I haven't really noticed any differences in the screens so I just turned them on and ran the Kindle app on all three, setting the fonts the same and making the background white. I usually like white text on black.

First, I don't find that the screen washes out much when I look at the 5.0 from the side. I have some IPS tablets and it's not as good as those but it's got very good viewing angles. I couldn't make it look yellow. It's very readable at a 45 degree viewing angle and even more.

That said, the 4.2 does seem to have better viewing angles. I wasn't aware that it was IPS and that the others weren't. Still, the viewing angles on all three seem very good to me. I wonder if maybe yours is defective in some way.

Barry

Old 05-28-2012, 04:56 PM

Nir, maybe you should find another 5.0 to compare screens. Might be something wrong with yours.

Steve

Old 05-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Yeah, I'm starting to think that. Thanks for all your responses!