android
Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 AM

I have an Ipod Touch, in fact two of them. I have a gen 3 and a gen 4, both 32 gig. I got the SGP because I wanted a larger screen. I was overjoyed to find that it also had a much better speaker. Also the video player I use on it (MX Player) is a lot better than the ones available for the Itouch. But most of all, I'm finally rid of Itunes.

I liked the Itouch a lot and I have no problem with others who do. But I like the SGP better. I doubt if I'd go back to an Ipod Touch.

Still, I hope they do improve the heck out of it so Samsung will have to make theirs even better. Don'tcha just love competition.

Barry

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I would buy an ipod if it comes out with a bigger screen and in 128gb models.

Sorry, but android sux on pmps - it's like 2 year old hardware without the phone bits, what's the point in that? Just get a phone with ICS like my Galaxy S2 which, although old now, is way ahead of any of the pmp garbage.
You state that Android itself is inferior for personal media players but then seem to say that Ice Cream Sandwich Android is good. I think you're a bit confuseled. Advanced processors and ICS are not needed for excellent media playing. Most of us are highly satisfied with the 4.0 and the 5.0 running Gingerbread and do a whole lot more than just media playing with these devices.
Regarding your statement "just get a phone...like my Galaxy SII" first of all, there is the matter of cost: $750-800 for unlocked hardware versus $180-230 for the Player. Secondly, if you don't want a contract and/or don't want data charges every month, why spend four times the cash for something which still will not have an operational phone?

Methinks you are a disgruntled person. These devices are very far from "garbage"... they represent a real value in the market.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Yeah- that's the other thing that I didn't even touch upon previously. Verizon and AT&T are in some ways comparable to Tony Soprano. While I pay for mobile phone/voice...I do not need to add to their coffers with overpriced and limited data plans...which seem to just get worse by the year.

When I was considering a real smartphone a couple of years ago, and whether my wife would be part of the plan, I was reviewing Verizon's "Family" plan and saw that the "family" plan cost more per month, offered fewer minutes and on top of that insult they actually add a fee per "extra" line! Where is the advantage in that? AT&T was similar. It was actually less costly to get two separate phones/plans than the "family" plan...even with that "friends call for free" deal or whatever it was back then. And yet, millions of people still subscribe to these plans maybe because:
1. They are kids and can't even do math to figure out overall costs or make comparisons. It's, so, like, whatever.
2. People are so busy all the can manage to do is walk into the store and sign a contract. Confuse them with many numbers and they will sign.
3. Some people just have unlimited money and could care less what plans cost.

I don't fit into any of those categories and phone bill of over $100 per month is way too big a hit for me.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
You state that Android itself is inferior for personal media players but then seem to say that Ice Cream Sandwich Android is good. I think you're a bit confuseled. Advanced processors and ICS are not needed for excellent media playing. Most of us are highly satisfied with the 4.0 and the 5.0 running Gingerbread and do a whole lot more than just media playing with these devices.
Regarding your statement "just get a phone...like my Galaxy SII" first of all, there is the matter of cost: $750-800 for unlocked hardware versus $180-230 for the Player. Secondly, if you don't want a contract and/or don't want data charges every month, why spend four times the cash for something which still will not have an operational phone?

Methinks you are a disgruntled person. These devices are very far from "garbage"... they represent a real value in the market.
They are old. And just look at any number of reviews - who buys this shit?

I know that because I'm in Europe phones are unlocked and you just don't need a contract - data is also cheap, so I don't see the point in spending good money on left over bits in the guise of a PMP from Samsung.

If not a phone from Samsung, then there are any number of models from Sony, HTC, cheaper brands, etc. which are up to date OS and spec-wise and don't cost much more - or indeed, any more - than these pmps. Why buy an outdated PMP when a phone can cost the same?

Last edited by Jeven; 05-29-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:24 AM

I take it most of you guys are from the US? I live in canada and phones and plans here just plain suck An unlocked android 2.1 phone costs about 200$ and there are virtually no unlimited data plans. My canadian phone is a samsung galaxy I5500 on prepaid service and is stuck on android 2.1 since I cannot seem to find canadian 2.2 or 2.3 firmware. I get dinged 15cents a text and am completely disconnected from mobile web being that I am on the anytime plan.

I much rather use my galaxy player 4.0 with text plus and skype when i am around wifi which is all the time. And you can actually get the sgp at staples in canada now which is awesome even though I got mine in the us last november

Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM

Well, I'm in the UK, phones are unlocked and cheaper. unlimited data is 20 for 6 months on one network, and there are any number of sims available offering good prepaid deals for voice and data.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My SGP was a better player out of the box than an iphone or ipod touch. Without equivocation. And, it has a bigger screen, better battery life, and better looks. Additionally, it cost me roughly the same amount as a sixteen gig touch, except this is forty (factoring in the 32GB card I got).

Tags
4" screen yes, childish tags suck!, haters gonna hate!, ipod touch 5g, me likey, samsung galaxy player, samsung galaxy player 4