android
Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 AM

so, i JUST received my 5.0 and feel o so like one of the cool kids!...you know, the type armed with large, thick-framed glasses, cornrows of pens, pocket protectors for the pocket protectors, gold aviators, and sarcasm. waitaminute...

alljokingaside, an admittedly a potentially stupid question-

A)
can I get an app like Poweramp and store it on my laptop, to be transferred to my player at a later date?

OR

will rooting erase/gunk up/f* w/ the contents in my player?

What I'm getting at is that I'd rather not pay twice for the same product so I'm deliberating between waiting until I root it (if I do [do root it], hence the conundrum) or going ahead with the app without concern.

B) from my trolling jaunts, it seems like Poweramp is the "best" music player for the 5.0. yes?

oh, also- is there a way to update firmware w/o Kies? (free)

will it be necessary if rooting. again, new to all of this; thanks for indulging me/your patience

Last edited by skip252; 05-24-2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: posts merged. please edit consecutive posts instead of multiposting

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 AM

Everyone has different values, so I'm not criticizing. However, personally, I would not risk bricking a new $200USD device in an attempt to avoid paying $4.99USD for an app. These devices have bricked, and they are only sometimes recoverable. The Samsung Player 5.0 is a very open device, one of the reasons I bought one is because I don't have to root it. If a custom ROM comes along that enables my 5.0 to spin straw into gold , maybe I'll reconsider the rooting thing.

Last edited by Zapp; 05-24-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljokingaside View Post
so, i JUST received my 5.0 and feel o so like one of the cool kids!...you know, the type armed with large, thick-framed glasses, cornrows of pens, pocket protectors for the pocket protectors, gold aviators, and sarcasm. waitaminute...

alljokingaside, an admittedly a potentially stupid question-

A)
can I get an app like Poweramp and store it on my laptop, to be transferred to my player at a later date?

OR

will rooting erase/gunk up/f* w/ the contents in my player?

What I'm getting at is that I'd rather not pay twice for the same product so I'm deliberating between waiting until I root it (if I do [do root it], hence the conundrum) or going ahead with the app without concern.

B) from my trolling jaunts, it seems like Poweramp is the "best" music player for the 5.0. yes?

oh, also- is there a way to update firmware w/o Kies? (free)

will it be necessary if rooting. again, new to all of this; thanks for indulging me/your patience
Rooting (atleast the superoneclick method) will not erase any apps (like poweramp.
there is no need to "store" a poweramp "backup" on your computer as ALL of your google market (now play store) purchases are remembered on there servers, infact when you purchase poweramp you purchase the right to use it on ANY and ALL android devices you own (provided they are linked by the same gmail account), Its like the Wii store if you buy something you can delete it off your device and go back and redownload it later without having to pay for it again.

YES/no on the firmware part but if your on gingerbread already you don't need any official updates, but with the samsung drivers and Odin you have a wide choice of custom ROMs over at XDA.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:39 PM

It is possible to install an app .apk file from your pc to the SGP 5, so if you want to download an app to your computer and save it for a latter date the answer is yes. You can also install an app, back it up to your pc using a file explorer like ES File Explorer and then delete the app from your SGP - if you want the app for some future use.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 PM

thanks for the help.

and while i get it that my language was probably a bit confusing, I only meant that I'd rather avoid paying for the app twice, once before, once after, if I root.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljokingaside View Post
thanks for the help.

and while i get it that my language was probably a bit confusing, I only meant that I'd rather avoid paying for the app twice, once before, once after, if I root.
Not a problem as I said Google Market stores your purchase history, so you don't have to pay twice.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

First of all, you should never have to pay twice. You should always be able to go back and download apps that you've paid for in Google Play.

Secondly, rooting does nothing to your files. Flashing a new ROM is, but it doesn't sound like you're close to doing that.

Also, if you want to keep a backup on your computer, I suggest rooting, downloading Titanium Backup, doing a batch back up of all the apps on your player, and copying the folder "Titanium Backup" from your player to your computer.

Last edited by steinburger1109; 05-25-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:34 AM

when flashing, what should be backed up by Titanium? All the apps that've been personalized like I want? I assume the rest can be d/led from Play, etc.

The d'oy factor of this rank noob Q might go a bit down when I also throw in things like, eg. ChocoEUKor1.0, Certificate Installer 2.3.5, etc? (ie programs presumably came with the system and whose functions I may or may not be entirely sure of) (Still in noob territory, but hopefully the rankness' dessicated.)

Also, programs in red.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just did a batch backup of all my apps, copied them to my external sd so my backup wouldn't get wiped, then did the flash, the wipe, then the backup.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 PM

I realize my way of doing this won't appeal to everyone but I find it much better not to back up apps that I've adjusted to suit me. That way when I get a new device or reformat the old one I get to set things up again, from scratch, and I always do it better the second time. And the third time is even better.

I'm now 71 years old and I've been doing it this way since about 1967 and boy do I ever do it well now!

Barry