android
Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Default Non-Samsung headphone w/ mic+button?

Has anyone had success with a non-Samsung headphone's mic and control button?

I have a Klipsch Image S4A and my Player 4.0 totally ignores the mic and button. The stock Samsung headphone's control button works fine.

I tested the resistance across the mic and ground wires of the Klipsch headphones. When pressing the button, the Klipsch's resistance drops to nearly zero, so it does do something. The Samsung headphones' mic resistance when pressed was about 50 to 100 times higher than the Klipsch. I do not have a made-for-ipod headphone to test.

Either my Klipsch are defective, or the Player does not see the correct mic+button and so ignores it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-17-2012, 02:43 PM

I am also curious, I have S4's without a mic button. I notice that when plugged in for FM radio, the mic is not active with speakers playing (Soundhound and Shazam don't work). Can you even take a call if you have non-mic headphones on? Does the mic auto-on if a call comes in? I know music stops for calls and notifications, but I've never received a call to know what happens.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The single button mic will work with any android device, including the SGP 4.0 & 5.0. The ones with the volume control (the iPod compatible ones) DON'T work. This was confirmed by me a few weeks ago. I own both types of headphones & iem's. I also have android & iOS devices.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Can anyone confirm that the S4A works with the player? I'm trying to get it to work but is currently not working.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:33 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
... (the iPod compatible ones) DON'T work. This was confirmed by me a few weeks ago. I own both types of headphones & iem's. I also have android & iOS devices.
On my samsung phone I need to use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm TRRS adapter that reverses the microphone and ground pins. This enables the microphone to work from ipod compatible IEMs/headphones. Although it does not allow my remote to work on all devices, only on some, it's hit or miss and you just have to test it. MEE sells the adapter for $9.99 here but I've seen it other places for a few bucks less and more.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-05-2012, 12:27 PM

What's that button for? I never used the mic that's on the headset that came with my SGP 4.0?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:27 PM

I'm really just guessing here but my guess is that there are signals being sent and it's not just an on or off thing. I'm basing this guess on the fact that these things, at least the Iphone ones, seem to do a lot of different things depending on what is pressed and where and for how long. I have no reason to think the Samsung works the same way, but if it does, that's the problem. And if it doesn't work the same way maybe that's the problem.

Anyway, I'd really be surprised if they were interchangeable.

Barry

Old 06-05-2012, 04:49 PM
ABI Invaluable

Although I don’t own an ipod, I did test my ipod-compatible remote on one and depending on the number of mic button presses it can: answer a phone call, end a call, play/pause music, skip to next track, start a track over or activate voice control on 3G or newer ipods.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 PM

I caught a set of V-Moda earbuds with the mic and button on a good sale. They work great and sound a lot better to me than the stock set. Mic works well and the button works fine. Single press of the button will mute (or pause) most audio sources. Another single press will resume. With the stock music player (and probably many others), a quick double press will skip to the next song on my SGP5.