android
Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 AM

Default Why all the refurbs?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...13070&csid=_21

Hello, I'm looking to buy a YP-G1 4.0, but I see a lot of refurbished items out there online, even with Android 2.3.5. Does anyone know why they are being returned, or is it safe to buy a new one from amazon that is not a refurb? Thanks for your help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM

I bought my SGP 4.0 new from Amazon some months ago and never had a problem.

Barry

Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM

I buyed my from amazon.de declared as "Like New". No problem with that. 2.3.5 was on it, but who cares when you are going to flash it anyway.You just have to look at the comments and you'll see, that there are a lot of people who thought this was a phone. That's why they are beeing returned that often.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 PM

I think nearly every description I saw recently stated somewhere "This is not a phone" or similar. It made me laugh the first few times because that was the only reason I started looking at them (I don't want a *%$@ing phone ) But if people returned it thinking it was a phone then I can understand why they added "This is not a phone"

It's the Samsung lack of marketing at play. Do people return the iPod Touch because they thought they were buying an iPhone? The marketing starts with a name and with "Samsung Galaxy S" already established as meaning "phone" adding "wifi" on the end isn't going to suggest any different. "Samsung Galaxy Player" is better but with the "wifi" variant out there it's too late.

I bought my 4.0 from an e-bay shop not realising it was a referb (though the price should have been a clue ) and it really is as good as new. However, the one thing I would suggest caution with is the boxed contents. Mine didn't include earphones (presumably for hygiene reasons) or a USB cable. Not sure if there should have been any kind of manual like the one I'd seen online but all I got was a "Quick Start Guide" When I re-checked the listed details these hadn't been mentioned.

Last edited by ForkliftFred; 06-07-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo

Old 06-07-2012, 05:24 PM

Just because there are a lot of refurbs on the market doesn't mean they are a bad product. I bought a sansa clip+ refurb and it worked like new and does to this day.
I have no idea why we get suddenly flooded with refurbs of products like this. they should be of good quality and if not exchange it TD is pretty good like that

On another note you'd have to be a pretty big dumbass to buy the samsung galaxy player from a store thinking its a phone. Once out of the store and out of the box that is another story. I get people thinking that my galaxy player is a phone all the time. then once I explain to them it isn't they ask me why did I get it instead of a phone. to which I reply because good android phones are very expensive and have contracts and prepaid android phones just plain suck and in most cases force you to buy a minimum data plan every month.

Basically it just leads me into a giant rant and in the end asking them why they own an ipod touch

Old 06-08-2012, 07:17 AM

I go for the "It's an iPod Touch but without the Apple" approach. Get it out of the way first. If they don't understand that then "Like the iPod Touch is an iPhone without the phone, this is a Samsung Galaxy phone without the phone" Beyond that it goes to the usual argument for why not Apple which starts with the line "It's cheaper and more flexible" and if that's not enough then it doesn't matter what I say because it'll just be a waste of time and effort