android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Windows Phones

Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM

Default Nokia plans to give US carriers unique Windows Phone handsets

Nokia, according to a report in Bloomberg, is planning to give each carrier in the United States a unique Windows Phone handset. Nokia President and Head of North America Chris Weber noted that a “unique proposition” on each carrier is crucial, allowing the networks to showcase a Windows Phone handset and stand out from the crowd. This sounds like an interesting plan on the surface, but could manufacturing completely new handsets for each carrier prove to be taxing on company resources?

Many people have clamored for the Finnish manufacturer to release the popular Lumia 900—which is currently exclusive to AT&T—on other carriers, but that hasn’t happened as of yet. The device is reportedly a timed exclusive for AT&T, but it’s possible that Nokia could just give other carriers a completely unique device instead. The company is already working on a new handset with Verizon.

Would you like to see carrier-exclusive Nokia smartphones, or would you rather be able to choose your favorite one regardless of which carrier you’re on?

[Bloomberg]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Devwi View Post
Nokia, according to a report in Bloomberg, is planning to give each carrier in the United States a unique Windows Phone handset. Nokia President and Head of North America Chris Weber noted that a “unique proposition” on each carrier is crucial, allowing the networks to showcase a Windows Phone handset and stand out from the crowd.
Translation: Verizon was going to drop us for another HTC phone, and this is the only way we could get them to sell our stuff.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 AM

US carriers don't really want to touch nokia with a bargepole, such is their toxicity.

I have the Lumia 710 and it is a piece of shit - the worst smartphone I've ever owned, thankfully I still have my S2.