android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Windows Phones

Old 06-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diechipmunk View Post
My wife got an iPad two from work. It kind of sucks. It's an expensive, single user device, that does things the way Apple things you should do them, rather than how you want, but it works, it's well made and we can get support for it if we need it.
Have you used the Fire? Its a cheap, single user device that does things the way Amazon thinks you should do them, rather then the way you want. On top of that it works poorly, has a crappy interface and lags.

It was one of those things that was attractive only until you saw any other tablet ever made and realized that no, you didn't have to put up with awful amazon software and a UI that 3 year old Android phones look fast and smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diechipmunk View Post
I still believe that a quality tablet or phone with standard, supported, OS would have an edge.
So basically, you think that the iPhone has an edge. Sales figures suggest otherwise.

I think again you're misunderstanding how the market actually works. Most people buy a phone, they get 2 big android updates and a few minor ones. At that point their contract is over and they get a new phone. They don't keep an old phone, nor expect to get upgrades on it because they get a new phone.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-19-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Have you used the Fire? Its a cheap, single user device that does things the way Amazon thinks you should do them, rather then the way you want.
I haven't used one, and I do understand, "it's half the tablet at half the price". My opinion is based on what I read when it came out. I understand the price point was a major selling point, but there are a lot of cheep tablets out there. I think the Amazon label elevated the the Fire over the rest of the cheep tablets. Of course, it could be that the Fire just got all the media attention.

Quote:
So basically, you think that the iPhone has an edge. Sales figures suggest otherwise.
Yes, right now I do. I'm not sure, but I think the iPhone outsells any other phone by a wide margin, although I think Android outsells iOS?

Quote:
I think again you're misunderstanding how the market actually works. Most people buy a phone, they get 2 big android updates and a few minor ones. At that point their contract is over and they get a new phone. They don't keep an old phone, nor expect to get upgrades on it because they get a new phone.
You're probably right, I'm just 1 person with limited exposure, but I don't see a compelling reason to spend money on an upgrade. I'm eligible on my Verizon plan, but while the new phones are better than my Incredible, they aren't all the different. It's a good phone that I sometimes use to stream music in my car. When 4G has a bit wider coverage, I'll have a more compelling reason.

My opinion is simply that given the choice between 2 equal mobile OS's a lot of people would choose the supported one, so Window's 8 has a chance - if it's good and is more open than Apple and more supported than Android.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Samsung is the biggest smartphone vendor in the world - and likely to remain so for the forseeable future.