android
Old 03-04-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woer View Post
cputuner to control scaling, turn off/on airplane mode, etc.; tegrak to undervolt it; gemini app manager for blocking apps from starting automatically and running in the background

It was awhile ago now, but I think I used to lose about 10% overnight, maybe a bit more, on my 4.0. Now if I pull it off the charger a few hours before bed, I wake up to see it still at 100%. The difference is drastic. I get better battery life despite having it overclocked to 1.3ghz (which has higher core and internal voltages than the default at 1.0ghz).
I have downloaded those apps from marketplace. WHen I first start CPU Tuner it asks me which configuration I want to use. Which is the best configuration to use? Is it Sophisticated, Uniform, Simple & Powerful or Extreme? I am also having problems opening Tegrak Kernel. When I open it in red text it says "Failed to connect tegrak service. Please install the tegrak kernel first.

IEM - Sony EX310LP, Panasonic HJE900, JVC FXC80, Sennheiser CX300II

Last edited by Artmuzz; 03-04-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
I have downloaded those apps from marketplace. WHen I first start CPU Tuner it asks me which configuration I want to use. Which is the best configuration to use? Is it Sophisticated, Uniform, Simple & Powerful or Extreme? I am also having problems opening Tegrak Kernel. When I open it in red text it says "Failed to connect tegrak service. Please install the tegrak kernel first.
Oof you have me stumped off the bat; it's been awhile, but I think I chose Extreme. I don't think it matters because you'll want to customize it to your preferences.

Actually, set up Tegrak first because it influences CPU Tuner. First of all, if you're running Klin's rom or made the Market Compatibility Mod, you'll need undo it as per my post here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...7&postcount=20 because Tegrak is compatible with the YP-G1 and not the I9000. This prop editor will let you save your build.prop, change it to get Tegrak working, then revert it back http://code.google.com/p/net-widgetr...Editor-0.3.apk.

Ok with that out of the way, you don't need Tegrak Kernel at all and can uninstall it. All you need is Tegrak Overclock (or setcpu if you prefer that). In Tegrak, choose the 3rd option, Load Overclock Module. That will let you change cpu settings. Also click the 5th one down, Set on Boot. If you want to OC, click the second and choose your preferred max frequency (I use 1.3ghz without problems). For power saving, choose the first option, Optimization, then adjust the Core and Internal Voltages. I haven't played with it a lot, so I'm sure it can be better, but what I use is:

100mhz: 800 core, 950 internal
200mhz: 950, 1100
400mhz: 1050, 1100
800: default
1300: default

Now onto CPU Tuner. I only use two triggers, Battery Full and Battery Critical (25% and below). In Battery Full, I use Performance on battery and power and use Screen off for Screen Locked. Battery Critical is the same except with Extreme Powersave on battery.

Here are those profiles explicitly:
Performance: Full Speed governor, no frequency limitations, leave everything (wifi, etc.) unchanged
Extreme Powersave: Extreme Save Battery governor, no frequency limitations, turn everything off (wifi, etc.), enable Airplane mode

Here are those governors explicitly:
Full Speed: Ondemand with threshold up 90%
Extreme Save Battery: Conservative with 95% up-threshold and 80% down-threadhold

With these, I will pull mine off the charger a little before bed and wake up with it still at 100%, and I lose maybe 3-4% battery listening to music for 30 minutes. Before them, I got around the same thing as you. It was losing so much battery overnight that made me work on improving it.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've been playing Drag Racing with Wifi enabled quite a lot today, and my battery only went from 95% to 65%. So I have no complaints with my battery life.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:29 PM

I have no complaints about battery life either. I play Zenonia 1 alot from the moment the device is charged to 100% down to 0% which usually lasts around 6-7 hours with wifi off and nothing else running in the task manager. I'm glad that I ponied up the cash to pay for the 5.0 version instead of the 4.0 for size and battery life reasons.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the instruction but I am still getting the same problem opening Tegrak kernel. I have installed build.prop Editor and changed the required fields from I9000 to YP-G1 but when I go to open Tegrak kernel I still get the following message "Failed to connect tegrak service. Please installthe tegrak kernel first.

IEM - Sony EX310LP, Panasonic HJE900, JVC FXC80, Sennheiser CX300II

Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
Thanks for the instruction but I am still getting the same problem opening Tegrak kernel. I have installed build.prop Editor and changed the required fields from I9000 to YP-G1 but when I go to open Tegrak kernel I still get the following message "Failed to connect tegrak service. Please installthe tegrak kernel first.
As I said in that post, you don't want nor need nor can use Tegrak Kernel . The program you want is Tegrak Overclock, and you load the module that it needs from inside that program.

edit: this one https://market.android.com/details?i...3ZlcmNsb2NrIl0.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to Daniel644 and sam11 for the battery savings settings given in post #14. It helped me out a lot. I was able to use my 4.0 all day at work and still had some battery life left when i got home. Much, much better. THANKS!

Old 05-25-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc7 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to Daniel644 and sam11 for the battery savings settings given in post #14. It helped me out a lot. I was able to use my 4.0 all day at work and still had some battery life left when i got home. Much, much better. THANKS!
Only a day, I take it your a heavy user then, I typically get 5+ days (5 and a half right this moment and still got 35% battery remaining) but I pretty much only use it for music playback (poweramp) when driving 1.5-2 hours a day during the week and 20-30 minutes a day on the weekend (volume at MAX, 0db boost in voodoo sound). combine the right kernel and ROM (can't remember which now since I've used so many) and I was once able to get it to only lose 1% battery every 12 HOURS of "sleep".

Old 05-25-2012, 06:28 AM

Yep, im in a shop, pretty much by my self all day some days. So like yesterday it saw 8 straight hours of use. I dont turn it off for breaks. Just let it idle. Mostly music and some video with a kindle read sometimes.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:47 AM

wore...he's just confused, that's all.
As am I. When you read the sticky on Steve's kernal, it's very , very confusing because all the experts are throwing terminology around and it's hard to understand what does what. That thread assumes you know what's what before you start goofing around. For myself, I'd sure appreciate knowing the basics of rooting on the SGP. The various warnings at each step of the process about bricking do not lend confidence to someone who is trying to understand how this stuff works.

What, technically, does "Root" mean? And technically, what is a kernal? What is a tar? What does overclocking do? Why would one run a device at voltages lower than designed? I'm sure I could go out and Google this, and find out about these principals in general with Android, but I'd like to understand the principals as applied to the SGP (5.0 in my case).

Old 05-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
wore...he's just confused, that's all.
As am I. When you read the sticky on Steve's kernal, it's very , very confusing because all the experts are throwing terminology around and it's hard to understand what does what. That thread assumes you know what's what before you start goofing around. For myself, I'd sure appreciate knowing the basics of rooting on the SGP. The various warnings at each step of the process about bricking do not lend confidence to someone who is trying to understand how this stuff works.

What, technically, does "Root" mean? And technically, what is a kernal? What is a tar? What does overclocking do? Why would one run a device at voltages lower than designed? I'm sure I could go out and Google this, and find out about these principals in general with Android, but I'd like to understand the principals as applied to the SGP (5.0 in my case).
Rooting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_%28Android_OS%29
Kernel vs ROM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...=ROM-VS-Kernel
Tar: tars are kinda like "zip" files, they are a "folder" for the different parts of the OS (ROM) that can be "copied" to the device (flashed) via a software called ODIN (there are many tutorials on how to do this)
Overclocking: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking that link is for computers but its the same concept
Undervolting: reducing the voltage supplied to the CPU/GPU to lower levels in an attempt to save/extend battery life (kinda like tuning the carburetor to just enough fuel to keep the car from stalling)

The principles are the same with EVERY device (which is why there PRINCIPLES) just check out all the links and remember 2 things
1. FOLLOW ALL DIRECTIONS EXACTLY, the tutorials are great, they have to give the possible brick warnings because a) they don't want to get sued if someone manages to brick there device and b) It may just happen, you never know how 1 random app could cause a problem, but its probably about the odds of getting struck by lightning.
2. Always temoparilly disable your antivirus software on your computer when doing ANYTHING (flashing ROMs, Rooting and things like that)

Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM

thanks

Old 05-25-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
Tar: tars are kinda like "zip" files, they are a "folder" for the different parts of the OS (ROM) that can be "copied" to the device (flashed) via a software called ODIN (there are many tutorials on how to do this)
One confusing thing is that many releases/firmwares/ROMs are now being released as zip backups. ClockworkMod (and maybe others) has a extra backup/recovery feature (which is yet a separate application) that allows you to back up your whole Android device to your SD card. This is very handy when you wipe out your device to try out some of the crappy, worthless, non-working Android junk releases that kids are slapping together these days. One you load it and see it crashes or locks up right after the splash screen, you can wipe it out and recover the Android that was working. I've done this dozens of times.

Since the backup/recovery works so well, some have chosen to release their "ROMs" as "backups". You wipe out your device and "recover" with the "backup" they released. This is good because loading Android releases just weren't confusing enough before this.

I like the ClockworkMod thing because you can just copy an Android release to the removable card, stick it in the device and load it. You don't have to mess around with getting your PC to talk to the device at all.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
One confusing thing is that many releases/firmwares/ROMs are now being released as zip backups. ClockworkMod (and maybe others) has a extra backup/recovery feature (which is yet a separate application) that allows you to back up your whole Android device to your SD card. This is very handy when you wipe out your device to try out some of the crappy, worthless, non-working Android junk releases that kids are slapping together these days. One you load it and see it crashes or locks up right after the splash screen, you can wipe it out and recover the Android that was working. I've done this dozens of times.

Since the backup/recovery works so well, some have chosen to release their "ROMs" as "backups". You wipe out your device and "recover" with the "backup" they released. This is good because loading Android releases just weren't confusing enough before this.

I like the ClockworkMod thing because you can just copy an Android release to the removable card, stick it in the device and load it. You don't have to mess around with getting your PC to talk to the device at all.
True, but we still have to have the initial flash via Odin of something like Steves, Klins, Terrasilents or whatever is out for the 5.0's Kernels in order to access CWM, so I kept it simple, plus the question I was attempting to answer was "What is a tar file?".

Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
I have no idea why people are afraid of rooting and think their devices will brick lol Installing a ROM has a higher chance of bricking a device only IF done wrong and not like the instructions said for it to be installed.
this might be a silly question but why bother rooting the device if it works fine like it is?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezzy View Post
this might be a silly question but why bother rooting the device if it works fine like it is?
Because being fine doesn't imply it can't be better

If your car gets 40 mpg, that's pretty darn nice, but if a few reversible mods could get you 50mpg or more, why wouldn't you want to do it?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 PM

One battery eating issue is wake-locks. Sometimes, there is an app that prevents an Android device from going to deep sleep when the screen is off. You can check this with CPU Spy a free app.

I reset the timers and then turn off the screen and wait a few minutes. Then I turn it back on and check CPU Spy to see if most of the time was spent in deep sleep. If it is not, I reboot the device and test it again. If I see the problem occurring regularly, I remove any newly installed Apps.

When a SGP is off with WIFI off, BT off, GPS off, it should only use a few percent per day.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezzy View Post
Hunter Thompson would have called it "bad craziness".