android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 PM

Default Task manager no longer shows active applications that are running.

For some unknown reason task manager no longer shows the active applications that are running on my galaxy 5.0 player.I used it to shut down applications that were running and hate not seeing them in task manager.Any idea on how to fix my task manager to show active applications?the downloaded ,Ram and storage choices all show up fine but not my active applications. thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 PM

That is weird, i have no clue. Sorry

Old 06-26-2012, 05:25 AM

Is their an app that I can download that will do what task manager did and allow me to exit applications?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 AM

like you're saying that when you open "Running applications", you see nothing? weird.

did you install any weird apps recently? or make weird modifications to existing apps in a significant way? (very specific, I know) if you've backed up any apps that you've changed recently, try reverting and seeing what happens.

there's another guy I read about that had a messed up sd card. maybe that's the culprit? a hail mary, but checking this lead won't hurt.
==

umm...try toggling Menu when in Running Applications and see what's cached.

==

I generally use Gemini App Manager to kill applications or to disable Loading on Boot (need root permissions). it's a nice little program that I employ frequently (there's like a poor-man's wealth of apps that like to be either enabled upon boot or re-enabled should you decide to kill that program. it's annoying)

===

an alternate method is to check the running programs from terminal, if you have it and are rooted.

type "ps" (or "ps -A" depending; since I've installed Busybox, "-A" is unnecessary and does nothing; it used to show ALL processes.) shows all running processes. "top" does this too though'll it'll get "stuck" in THAT process (you can quit by pressing "q")

it'll show you the running processes on your device and the process ID (PID). it's the left-most string of digits (eg 10012). to kill, type in "kill #####" , replacing the #s with the PID. (eg "kill 12111") again, your device will have to be rooted and you'll have to toggle root mode by typing in "su". when you see a # instead of a $ on the left-most side, you'll know you're in root mode.

i mean, you probably won't want to do this every time that you want to kill an app, but it's a nice option when you need to check. or as a temp measure. or to check if something's seriously F'd on your sys.

Last edited by alljokingaside; 06-26-2012 at 06:50 AM. Reason: bad grammar

Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 AM

I think in a situation like that I'd restore the player to factory defaults and see if that fixes it. My guess is that it will.

Barry

Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 AM

(this is probably useless, but...)

as a side note, (and again, as i disclaim nearly evry post these days, new to both android and linux), it seems that a pipe or I/O's broken.

like, based on my basic linux homework (self-appointed; I'm a masochist, it seems), i know that

1) you can send info from a process (ie ps [processes] or whatever to a file. (output)
2) you can modify a command (ie ps) to show only a particular set of info (I don't know how to do this) [my guess is that the kernel does this and puts the info in a file somewhere in the root directory]
3) you can send info from one process to the input of another (ie the graphical rep. that appears to us as Running Applications [this is just an idea]) via pipe.

what it seems to me is that somewhere along this line, the process has been interrupted. rather, the line's been cut along one path. (maybe folder-reading permissions of the containing text folder in this hypothetical scenario has been changed? maybe another application has changed the way this is read or has changed the instructions to guide this process?) this is all just theory and conjecture (and me being obnoxious, to some, probably) but my guess is that the thing directing the active applications list (1+2) to the graphical interface ("Running Applications") has been severed since it's the most vulnerable.

according to http://linuxcommand.org, the /var folder is the directory that "contains files that change as the system is running" (specifically, the /var/log directory). if my hypothesis is correct .... actually, since RAM and the other options are working fine, the folder, as a whole, should be fine. hm...

actually, no /var folder exists in our linux machines. BUT, the /proc directory, which "contains little peep holes into the kernel itself" does. looking at it, it contains general state of system files (like cpuinfo) as well as folders with what seems to correspond to those PIDs I mentioned earlier. within those folders seems to be metainfo (at least the folders I have access to. I can't figure out how to give my file browser root permission, atm) my new guess that something reads the metainfo from those folders and lists them in the "Running Applications" GUI.

i'll try and look into it and report back, though I can't really "promise" anything....again, I'm learning as I go. also, I'll have to figure out how those files are connect to the stock task manager and, more relevantly, how to give root access to my explorer. maybe your task manager is corrupted? blerg. so many possible puncture points....

again, this is probably useless so sorry for the potential bore...

Old 06-26-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I think in a situation like that I'd restore the player to factory defaults and see if that fixes it. My guess is that it will.

Barry
If I restore to factory defaults will i loose my poweramp app and all my music that is on the player?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 PM

Yes you will. You'll need to backup your content first, do the restore, re-install your apps and put the content back on the device.

If it's rooted you can use a backup app to do all that for you but you have to be rooted for that.

You can also have Google sync your settings so it'll re-do a lot of it for you. But you'll still have a lot to do manually.

However, it sounds like Android might be corrupted and if that's so there might not be any other way. I wouldn't just rush into this but I'd be prepared to do it if you don't find a better answer.

For myself, I do this from time to time whether I need to or not. I like getting a fresh start now and then and I don't mind taking a little time to rebuild things. I used the Google sync to restore some apps and settings last time I did that but I didn't use it other times. I'm not sure it even existed back then. It's a fairly new feature, I think.

I suspect the next time I do it I won't use Google's sync. I prefer doing it myself. Each time I do I end up doing things in different and better ways.

I'm probably in the minority abotu doing this. I've been doing the same thing for years with my Windows computers. I generally restore to factory defaults every 6 months to a year. I never fail to lose something I didn't want to lose in the process but I'm always glad I did it, overall. I gain more than I lose.

Barry

Old 06-27-2012, 05:34 AM

Thanks,think Ill just find a task manager app and call it a day.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:57 AM

try Gemini App Manager.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:10 PM

It was probaly an app you installed that did it. In my experience that is usually the case.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:25 AM

Now I just have to figure out which one