android
Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
I charged my SGP5 yesterday, and again today. The green icon looks full and has an "F". The green line in settings/about/status only shows about 80%. I installed a battery widget, and it shows 80%. Doesn't seem to charge past that. I'm at 4 hours and been at 80% for 30 minutes.

If I drain to zero (phone shuts off), will it recalibrate itself?
Your battery might need to be calibrated properly:

While your player is on charge your player for at least 8 hours
Unplug, then turn off you player, then charge for one more hourr
Turn on your player, wait two minutes
Turn off player again then charge for one more hour

I did this with my Galaxy phone and it appears to be holding a charge better.
YMMV.

Last edited by musichound; 01-16-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 PM

Full Device Name: YP-G70CW/TTT
Android Version: Gingerbread
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G70XXKPF-CL562492 se.infra@SEP-67 #2
Firmware version: 2.3.5

Compass requires almost constant recalibration. It will recalibrate, but begins gyrating wildly again shortly after calibration. Compass seemed reliable and consistent on same device before the upgrade to Gingerbread.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:47 AM

I hope someone from Samsung reads this stuff! Here's another example of BAD battery readings. As you can see by mV readings, I was using the SGP5 for about 6 hours last night, but it showed 100% for the past 17 hours! I decided to reboot this AM and it's at 30%. I was using it this morning (at 100%) and was acting very laggy. After the reboot all is well. It's really struggling with its internal battery monitoring (or lack of). It always stops at 80% when charging.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Your battery might need to be calibrated properly:

While your player is on charge your player for at least 8 hours
Unplug, then turn off you player, then charge for one more hourr
Turn on your player, wait two minutes
Turn off player again then charge for one more hour

I did this with my Galaxy phone and it appears to be holding a charge better.
YMMV.
I have followed this procedure twice now for my YP-G70 (just in case I did it wrong the first time).

Initially, it looks good, after the initial charge while the device is on, the battery indicator does get up to 100% (I am using the Battery Indicator widget), both on the widget, and also the icon telling me to unplug the charger.

I then unplug, turn off and continue to charge. At this point I touch the on/off button to bring up the large green battery symbol, which although saying 100% has a clear gap at the left of the symbol, indicating it is not truly 100% charged.

Then, I turn on for 2 minutes, turn off, continue charging. At the end of this period, and while turned off, I again check the large green symbol, and the gap has definitely reduced, but there is still a slight gap.

Now, when I turn on, practically instantly my Battery Indicator widget displays 95%, and within seconds, definitely less than a minute, it has dropped to 90%. I have not touched any apps, all that is happening is media being scanned.

I get pretty good use from my battery, if it is left pretty much alone it will last for well over 72 hours, and with fairly light usage i can probably get 2 days out of it.

So my question is, are we really only getting 90% out of our batteries, or should we just regard 90% as being 100%?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 PM

My 4.0 loses 0-1% while I sleep, but one morning I woke up to see it 35% down. For the next week, the percentage reported would go down much faster than before, and just like yours it would "practically instantly" drop down from 100% (the 4.0 reports 1 degree increments, so mine went down to 99% rather than 100%). I tried everything I could think of--removing programs I had installed recently, changing my power saving settings, etc.--without any luck.

Finally I installed this program https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result and ran through it as it suggests (charge to 100%, click Battery Calibration in the program, unplug and let it drain until it shuts down, charge to 100% before turning it back on). It's worked fine since then, which was maybe two weeks ago now. The program says it deletes a system file, batterystats.bin, which must have something to do with the battery percentage that the phone reports. I suggest trying it.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:33 PM

I am trying this one because I am not rooted (although rooting seems the only true way to replace a batt stat file). It seemed to do "something" when I calibrated at 100%. Said it adjusted something 9% (although I still had 100%). Has not gone to zero yet, so no clue if it really did anything. Odd that the 4.0 does 1%, and the 5.0 does 5% increments... thought the software was closer to the same.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:33 AM

Thanks to Woer and Tcat, I'll have a look at both and report back.

Pete.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:01 PM

My conclusion:
1. If you charge USB through a PC, it never goes above 90%. But you can then use wall or car charger to hit 100%. But then it tends to be stuck until you reboot. It charges faster with this method (to 90%).
2. If you use wall charger, it goes to 100% (getting stuck at 80%), but it tends to discharge normally with this method.
Totally unreliable readings, no matter how you calibrate or charge it. USA 5.0

Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
My conclusion:
1. If you charge USB through a PC, it never goes above 90%. But you can then use wall or car charger to hit 100%. But then it tends to be stuck until you reboot. It charges faster with this method (to 90%).
2. If you use wall charger, it goes to 100% (getting stuck at 80%), but it tends to discharge normally with this method.
Totally unreliable readings, no matter how you calibrate or charge it. USA 5.0
Sometimes the 5.0 seems to be stuck on an indicated 90%, and if you reboot it it will be at 95 or 100. If I really am trying to top it off completely, like I will be tonight/tomorrow morning, I'll use the micro-USB cable with my 1000mA USB wall plug.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 PM

Getting frustrated with this "stuck" deal. Stuck at 100% while playing AB for quite a while. Actually stuck for 20 hours. I rebooted and went to 40%. Do any ROMS or rooting utilities fix this? This is a joke... please send an update soon Samsung!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:01 AM

Default Kies update to GingerB--Auto rotate buggy

Samsung Galaxy Player 5" purchased 3/22/12--my first and only Android device
model YP-G70
updated from Froyo via cable to PC with KIES on 3/24/12
FW version 2.3.5
Kernel 2.6.35.7
Gingerbread.xxkpf

I have screen auto-rotate enabled both from the Settings/Display and the pull down menu, but since update the 'home' page and some other screens won't rotate. What up?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM

Angry

Full Device Name: YP-G1CWY
Android Version: Gingerbread.UEK18
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G1UEKI8-CL562400 se.infra@sep-59#2
Detailed bug report: Cannot connect properly to PC when the USB mode is set to either Kies or Media Player. (Works fine when set to "mass storage".) At first the computer sees the player and the SD card, then it loses it, then after a few minutes it sees it again, back and forth. I've already tried all of the troubleshooting suggestions on the Samsung site and as given to me by their Facebook support team (and at some point they stopped responding without the problem being resolved). I've already tried using Kies to update the drivers, etc. This happens on different computers, using either Vista or Windows 7.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melabonbon View Post
Full Device Name: YP-G1CWY
Detailed bug report: Cannot connect properly to PC when the USB mode is set to either Kies or Media Player. (Works fine when set to "mass storage".) At first the computer sees the player and the SD card, then it loses it, then after a few minutes it sees it again, back and forth. I've already tried all of the troubleshooting suggestions on the Samsung site and as given to me by their Facebook support team (and at some point they stopped responding without the problem being resolved). I've already tried using Kies to update the drivers, etc. This happens on different computers, using either Vista or Windows 7.
Ack, yes, what they said. Running Windows XP home
model YP-G70
FW version 2.3.5
Kernel 2.6.35.7
Gingerbread.xxkpf

Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Full Device Name: YP-G1 (US version)
Android Version: GINGERBREAD.UEKI8
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G1XXKPN-CL562447 steve@ubuntu #STeVE's2.1USBeta

It may be just me, but the stock music app does not load Albumart if it's on the external SD card, but when I move it to the internal memory, it displays it. I found this problem using a 320kbps 44100Hz MP3. Albumart shows up up in PowerAmp.

EDIT: Albumart seems to appear on MP3s which I added to my external SD from the computer, but not the ones I downloaded from the device itself.

Last edited by gupti; 04-03-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: correction

Old 05-05-2012, 12:51 AM

[QUOTE=melabonbon;604567]Full Device Name: YP-G1CWY
Detailed bug report: Cannot connect properly to PC when the USB mode is set to either Kies or Media Player. (Works fine when set to "mass storage".) At first the computer sees the player and the SD card, then it loses it, then after a few minutes it sees it again, back and forth. I've already tried all of the troubleshooting suggestions on the Samsung site and as given to me by their Facebook support team (and at some point they stopped responding without the problem being resolved). I've already tried using Kies to update the drivers, etc. This happens on different computers, using either Vista or Windows 7.[/SGP

I purchased my SGP5 (YP-G70CW/XAC here in Canada 4 days ago - am experiencing the same difficulties as outlined above. I am using a Samsung laptop running Windows 7.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 AM

Default Static Pop in FM Radio

Full Device Name: YP-G70
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G70UEKI8-CL566269 se.infra@SEP49#2

When using the FM radio there's an occasional static pop. It happens about 1 minutes after turning the screen off and then at other random times. It also happens when you turn the screen back on. It's like a static discharge pop, very annoying.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 PM

Full Device Name: YP-G70

Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G70UEKI8-CL566269 se.infra@SEP-49#2

Detailed bug report: This is my first smart/almost phone/everything player. For the most part, it is great, but there are some bugs. To start, the Bluetooth connects fine to my car's audio system, but it won't connect to my classic Motorola VU204 flip phone with Bluetooth. Both devices recognize each other, but my Galaxy says "Paired but not connected," but I can't connect to it when I press it. Furthermore, this sort of goes hand in hand with the first issue, the dialer function is not supported even though it is installed, Do I need the European firmware? Continuing, my battery and signal connectivity indicators seem to be fine. No problem there. Finally, I receive an Uportal error attempting to log into my college website. I tried Dolphin Browser but no luck. I'm going to try Opera next. Other than that, I can't really think of anything that bothers me that much. Any tips would be appreciated

Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 PM

Don't want turn this into a discussion, but here are a few answers to you problems.

1. I'm not to sure about the "Paired but not connected problem", but it said the same on my Galaxy Player 4.0 when I connected to my friend's Android phone, and there was no problem when we sent files. I recently tried to connect to a WP7 phone, and it seemed fine on the SGP but on the phone it said "device not supported", so it may be the phone.

2. The dialer is not supported at all, as it is not a phone. Although it looks like it's installed and may be used for something, you can see that the installed size is 0 bytes.

As for the college website, I have no experience, maybe someone else can help.

Tags
bugs, galaxy, players, reports, samsung