android
Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 AM

Default Lumia 900 still worth it?

I am looking for a new phone because I can upgrade and was looking at the Nokia Lumia 900. Since Windows phone 8 is coming out soon, is it still worth it to get the Lumia? This will be my first smartphone by the way, if that helps at all. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I wouldn't do it, considering the Lumia 900 won't be upgradeable to Windows 8, nor will it be compatible with any Windows 8 apps (no Windows Phone 7 device will). If you can handle waiting for the Windows 8 hardware to start coming out, you'll be in a much better position, IMO.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I own the Lumia 900, and as good as it is, I'd recommend waiting OR getting a phone with a different OS altogether. Get either an Android device, or go iPhone 5 in the fall.

I'm pissed at Nokia & Microsoft for selling a "flagship" phone, then telling us it won't get the WP8 update because the hardware is not up to snuff. That means I bought a phone that was outdated before it ever was put out for sale. I don't think that's great support OR caring for the customer.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Contributing Editor

I could have picked one up for free the other day from a buddy of mine, and told him not to worry about it. I've got an HTC Titan, and I wouldn't touch any Windows Phone out there until at least WP8 comes out. Even then that's iffy IMO.

Ditto what Darkside said.

I myself am moving back to Android. Microsoft can kiss my A$# after this pathetic attempt at Windows Phone.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Contributing Editor

Also, you're locked into the Zune platform, which has become a real pain trying to manage two music libraries (one for phone, other for every other player I have) for me personally. While Zune could be great, you only have access to your music through your phone seeing as Microsoft still hasn't opened up the capability for WP7 to do something so simple as to play music through a vehicle while plugged into the USB port. Android and iOS have had this for a while now.

Had Microsoft not blocked OEM's from pushing out 2012 hardware on their Windows Phones, then perhaps the non up-gradeable crop of WP7 devices could have made the jump to WP8. So, I blame this on Microsoft. Unfortunately the customers and Nokia are getting screwed real bad in this deal. But, this is just my 2 cents.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by av399 View Post
I am looking for a new phone because I can upgrade and was looking at the Nokia Lumia 900. Since Windows phone 8 is coming out soon, is it still worth it to get the Lumia? This will be my first smartphone by the way, if that helps at all. Thanks in advance for any replies!
WP7.x is a dead platform at this point, so I wouldn't buy into that mess for another 2 years. Maybe if you can get a 1 year contract cheap and really want to use WP for a while.

Otherwise its just not worth it.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:10 PM

Even as a happy owner of a Lumia 800, I would advise against getting a WP7.X device right now, for all the reasons stated above. WP 7.8 is supposed to have the same GUI as WP 8, but it will still be an inferior system with fewer apps.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:49 AM

I think the Lumia 900 is a great device on its own, and the operating system is top-notch. That being said, as mentioned by other people, it won't be getting all of the new features found in Windows Phone 8 (except for the updated Start screen, of course). Windows Phone 7.x devices won't be compatible with apps targeted toward Windows Phone 8, but there's a possibility that developers will continue to release some apps based on the old model. Windows Phone currently has more than 100,000 apps, so it's not a big issue at the moment, but you'll probably be somewhat disappointed when you can't access the latest and greatest things in the future.

So would I buy a Lumia 900 right now? If you're a more casual smartphone user who isn't really concerned about apps, I'd definitely recommend picking one up. It's a great device. The deciding factor here is app compatibility, since it's fairly common for devices to not get newer features (just look at iOS and Android). But if you want to have full access to all of the latest apps, I might hold out for Windows Phone 8, as it's supposed to be out sometime around September or October. Whichever route you choose, I think you'll really like the Windows Phone OS, especially as a first time smartphone owner.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:33 AM

I think I might just go with another phone then, probably Android because I would rather try something different than iOS. If I really feel the need to switch to iOS then I can just use my friend's old Iphone 4 once he upgrades to the 5. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it

Tags
lumia, nokia, windows phone 8