android
Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus454 View Post
I'm running CM9/ICS on my 5.0 right now. Been using it for 2ish days now and no major gripes with it so far. It's officially in pre-alpha over on XDA and works really well for being such an early build.

As of yet it's CM9/ICS with the 2.6 kernel (based off entropy's kernel for the 5.0) for now. I guess they'll be backporting the newer kernel soon. There's no hardware acceleration as of yet either, so speed is about the same as gingerbread was. Netflix and a few other hw accel apps don't work, but that's not a huge deal for me.

Progress!!

Wow such a progress (that's why I love Android ecosystem)...I hope this will be available for the SGP4. That's what I'm waiting for and I'll be jumping on the SGP4 bandwagon in a heartbeat

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-08-2012, 12:07 PM

I've been experimenting with some CM9/ICS releases, oh I mean "ROMs", with my HTC HD2. I don't think the ICS interface is any quicker. In fact there are some cases where there's a new delay after hitting a button. The version I'm running now uses hardware acceleration for the display so I don't think that's the reason.

The standby power usage appears to be lower. That's great for my phone but I don't know if it's a huge win for a media player unless you're constantly connected to wifi.

There are some nice new features in the browser (browser bookmarks are saved to your Google account for example) and the menu interface is a little more consistent. I like the calendar (it's more like the web version).

Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
I've been experimenting with some CM9/ICS releases, oh I mean "ROMs", with my HTC HD2. I don't think the ICS interface is any quicker. In fact there are some cases where there's a new delay after hitting a button. The version I'm running now uses hardware acceleration for the display so I don't think that's the reason.

The standby power usage appears to be lower. That's great for my phone but I don't know if it's a huge win for a media player unless you're constantly connected to wifi.

There are some nice new features in the browser (browser bookmarks are saved to your Google account for example) and the menu interface is a little more consistent. I like the calendar (it's more like the web version).
I did a stint experimenting with the semi-working CM9 port for the SGP5. It was much snappier than my current ROM (2.3.6) or the stock 2.3.5 ROM. And that port does not have working hardware acceleration. So I'm not sure why you experienced a slow down.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:04 AM

Maybe the SGP5 has more memory? The HTC HD2 only has 512MB. Even things like hitting the Calendar or Phone take a fraction of a second longer.

More testing is showing that the power usage is significantly better. I would normally run the battery down to 60% by the time I got home. I'm coming home with the battery at 82%-85%. I'm not using it heavily so this is probably mostly stand-by usage although it says the screen has been 43% of the battery usage.

The only problem with the version I'm using... it crashes after every phone call!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 PM

About the phone call crashes. It was because I changed the LCD density too high. The Phone apps works fine with it at 190. 180 causes it to crash. This has been a problem with many Android apps for some reason.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The SGP5 has 512MB RAM as well, and with CM9 the processor runs at 1.2GHz.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:16 PM

The HD2 CPU runs at 998 MHz. Maybe that's slower enough to reveal that the UI is slightly slower. Even when going through the menu to find the CPU speed I could tell that every tap had a longer pause than before. It's not enough to bother me but I can't fool myself into thinking it's faster.

The standby power usage continues to amaze me. With 3G turned on it only uses 1% of the battery per hour. The new browser and calendar are great. The menus look better. I can't wait until they get an ICS/CM9 for my Samsung S2.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:17 PM

ANy progress to report?

I am eager to try this but I don't want to install a buggy rom on my galaxy player.

I have noticed a bug that annoys me where the battery meter will sometimes say it has something like 75% but if I power it off then back on it will say 35% or something so sometimes I will be on a long trip thinking I have about 35% left then turning it off and when I come back it will alert me to low battery saying it has like 5% left

I hope this can be fixed in a custom rom like this. Samsung has made it quite clear that we are not going to see a future update of any kind for the 4.0 and 5.0.

Another thing I hope to see happen is that the phone dialer in cyanogenmod be disabled. I have seen too many custom roms back in the android 2.1 and 2.2 tablet days where the custom rom will still have the dialer present on the homescreen and the bar at the top of the screen saying no service

Old 06-10-2012, 08:01 PM

I've been following ICS development for the 4.0, and according to tdmcode:

Quote:
Currently wrestling with a GL crash. Other than that, wifi and sound work. Not much else does.
I think ICS is harder to port than older versions because quite a lot has changed. Instead of the 2.6 Linux Kernel, it has now been upgraded to 3.0 and many drivers become incompatible. I'm no expert in the behind the scenes though, an actual developer could probably explain better than I can.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupti View Post
I've been following ICS development for the 4.0, and according to tdmcode:

I think ICS is harder to port than older versions because quite a lot has changed. Instead of the 2.6 Linux Kernel, it has now been upgraded to 3.0 and many drivers become incompatible. I'm no expert in the behind the scenes though, an actual developer could probably explain better than I can.
We can port using the linux kernel 2.6 but it is much harder. But the thing I don't understand is that the 5.0 don't have the linux kernel 3.0 and it dosen't have a GL problem. But for the thing with the 4.0 is that tdm has worked on putting MTD/yaffs2 which is faster (people are saying that) and more stable than ext4.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 PM

apparently at XDA, the folks working on Paranoid Android (an ICS ROM) have isolated the source of the nonoperational Camera (it looks like it isn't the kernel) and may have a solution in the works

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1817368&page=2

Old 08-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljokingaside View Post
apparently at XDA, the folks working on Paranoid Android (an ICS ROM) have isolated the source of the nonoperational Camera (it looks like it isn't the kernel) and may have a solution in the works

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1817368&page=2
That looks really promising! When JackpotCalivin's thread sorta died out, I lost hope for an ICS port, but apparently these three are making good headway!

Old 08-13-2012, 04:08 PM

We (devs over at xda) managed to get ICS working on the 4.0

Link if you want to test (CONSIDER THIS AS AN PRE-ALPHA BUILD):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1712668

Last edited by zacp2; 08-13-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 AM

I'm getting very anxious and impatient for this . I just saw Jellybean ported to the galaxy s already. It seems that once ics rom gets started for a device it usually gets abandoned in alpha and then a new version of android comes along

Old 08-14-2012, 02:26 PM

speaking of which,

The Paranoid Android alpha version's out for the 5.0. The devs were talking about fixing the camera in the discussion thread, but the thread with the actual download link didn't mention whether or not it- the camera- works. Actually, it just came out and the dev who released it apparently was just furiously working on getting it booting. A few testers checked it out and apparently boots, though the launcher's reported to be laggy.

The cool thing about this, besides the possibility of a functioning ICS ROM camera and ICS, is the tablet mode.

It's worth keeping an eye on, if not testing. Here's a link
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1832697

Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 AM

hi..please can someone tell me how can I update my samsung 5.0? can't find any option of updating it online

Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Samsung Moderator

Connect it to the PC and launch Kies. It will tell you if an update is available or not.

BTW, I don't think it's the appropriate thread for that question and maybe I should even close this thread now as the current Galaxy Players will never be upgraded to ICS. What do you think guys?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Maybe I should even close this thread now as the current Galaxy Players will never be upgraded to ICS. What do you think guys?
Would a build of CyanogenMod 9 for the SGP4 and SGP5 count? Because the developers on xda-dev seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel for eventually producing a fully-functional build.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Samsung Moderator

Then I would rather unstick and close this thread and open a unique thread for Cyanogen mod when it's ready?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Then I would rather unstick and close this thread and open a unique thread for Cyanogen mod when it's ready?
Sure, that's sounds reasonable.

Closed Thread