android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone

Old 08-11-2012, 01:29 AM

Default Samsung, reasonably, is not the least bit interested in a BB10 licensing deal

The rumor mill has been swirling at a rapid pace lately, regarding the notion that Samsung is looking at licensing BB10. Before we get into all the details of press releases and stock prices, let’s think about this for a minute. Samsung is currently the dominant mobile force in the Android realm —as we discussed a couple days ago—and the only company able to scare Apple. So could somebody please tell me why Samsung would be trying to license BB10? Don’t get me wrong—I’m cheering for RIM—but I just don’t see the point here.

And it would appear that Samsung agrees with me. "Samsung Electronics has not considered the acquisition of Research in Motion or licensing BB10," Samsung said in a statement. The only thing I find funny is that Samsung “has not considered.” As a profitable mega corp with many, many segments, I would have expected Samsung to have at least considered it. So perhaps Samsung is over-compensating, trying to hide something?

As to what all the hubbub is about, RIM CEO Heins recently made the following remark, and when coupled with a research note by Jefferies analyst Peter Misek—“We believe RIM is attempting to revive discussions with Samsung regarding a BB10 licensing deal."—the rumor mill started a churnin', to the tune of a 10% increase in stock price for RIM. And stock prices kept climbing today for RIM—6.28%—so perhaps investors know something we don’t.

Quote:
"We don't have the economy of scale to compete against the guys who crank out 60 handsets a year," Heins told The Telegraph. "We have to differentiate and have a focused platform. To deliver BB10 we may need to look at licensing it to someone who can do this at a way better cost proposition than I can do it. There [are] different options we could do that we're currently investigating."
What do you think? Obviously RIM is on the ropes—to say the least—but could Samsung or a similar player tap in and save the day? If you were a decision maker at Samsung, Motorola, or LG would you be interested in a BB10 license agreement?

[Fierce Wireless]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]