android
Old 08-06-2012, 04:01 PM

Default No longer recognized by PC

This weekend I drained the battery on the Clip+ completely. Have since recharged it, but the device is no longer recognized by a PC.

I have Rockbox installed, but I'm posting here because the issue is connecting to the PC via USB, which of course goes to the original OS.

--The CLIP is set to MSC.
--I have tried different computers, one with XP, the other with Win 7.
--I have tried multiple different cables.
--When I connect the Clip, the screen on the player DOES say "Connected" and "Writing" but neither computer recognizes it at all.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the battery having been drained. It is now fully charged. When I boot it to Rockbox, everything is there and runs fine.

Suggestions, anyone?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Can you use rockbox USB? If so, check the disk for errors.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Also can you try using a different cable, Iíve seen when they just donít work even if the cable still looks intact.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-06-2012, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I am using version r31049-111124, which IIRC had no USB support. I take your question to mean that later versions do have USB support. Problem is, I can think of no way of putting the newest Rockbox on the Clip without a USB connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Also can you try using a different cable, Iíve seen when they just donít work even if the cable still looks intact.
Thanks, but as stated in the OP, I've tried different cables. Three at this point.

On my Win7 laptop, I now get a 'USB device not recognized' message.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
I am using version r31049-111124, which IIRC had no USB support. I take your question to mean that later versions do have USB support. Problem is, I can think of no way of putting the newest Rockbox on the Clip without a USB connection.
I guess you could add it over SD.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I guess you could add it over SD.
D'oh!

I'll give it a go, thanks.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 AM

Sorry to be dense, but I need some more help.

As recommended above, I am attempting to update my Rockbox install using the SD card because I have no USB connectivity.

I downloaded sansaclipplus-01.02.16-rockbox_bootloader-v4.0.zip and rockbox-sansaclipplus.zip\.rockbox - and extracted both onto the microSD card. I put the card into the Clip+ and when I navigate to the card, neither appear on the list.

So... how do I update Rockbox to v4 through the SD? Thanks.

Last edited by tylertoo; 08-07-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Administrator

What you're doing seems close to how I've upgraded using the card. I place a copy of the bootloader and a development build on the card. Then I boot to Rockbox. After making sure my "Show Files" setting is "All" in the Rockbox file browser I navigate to the the card. I haven't had any problems seeing the files on the card in the Rockbox file browser. Not sure why you aren't seeing them.

Using the context menu I copy and paste the clpza.bin and the .rockbox folder to the root of the player. Then I remove the card and reboot while holding |<< on the D-pad. The firmware upgrade happens when it boots to the OF and it shuts down. When I boot again I'm in the updated version of Rockbox.

I always make sure my battery is at least 50%. The file transfers in the Rockbox browser are fairly slow and the update is supposed to use a lot of battery power. I wouldn't want it to power down when the bootloader is transferring or during the firmware upgrade.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 AM

Skip, thank you for those detailed instructions. Changing 'Show Files' to All did the trick. I believe I successfully upgraded to the latest rockbox -- it says 4.0 when it first boots. However when I go into system info for Rockbox, it still says r31049-111124. Hmm.

Still, something is new. Now, when I start with the Clip off, and plug in the USB, it goes to Rockbox. It used to go to the Sansa OS.

However, the PC still does not recognize the device, so in that regard I'm back to square one.

I'm inclined to just bag this. I can put my podcasts on the SD card, and then put the card into the Clip and play from there. An extra step, but no biggie. Thanks for all the help, folks!

EDIT: I just remembered:

Quote:
Now that I've apparently upgraded Rockbox, how do I check for disk errors?

I can't let a problem go unsolved. It bugs me.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Administrator

You need a USB enabled build of Rockbox for USB to function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
What you're doing seems close to how I've upgraded using the card. I place a copy of the bootloader and a development build on the card.
Quote:
Using the context menu I copy and paste the clpza.bin and the .rockbox folder to the root of the player.
Get the development build and upgrade.

The first connection always fails for me with the error message the driver wasn't successful and freezes the player. I hold Power for 30 seconds to reboot the player and reconnect. The driver then installs properly. All connections after that work reliably for me.

If you're on Windows you can use Window's error checking utility to check your disk for problems. You'll find that when you view the disk as a drive in Windows Explorer under Properties=>Tools. Open the error checking utility and have it find and fix any problems.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM

Thanks again. The development build brought my Rockbox install up to v6f55433-120806. When I plug in the USB cable, it does now boot to Rockbox and not, as before, the Sansa OS.

Quote:
If you're on Windows you can use Window's error checking utility to check your disk for problems. You'll find that when you view the disk as a drive in Windows Explorer under Properties=>Tools. Open the error checking utility and have it find and fix any problems.
But I still cannot view the Clip as a disk; tried on two machines. What I DO get now is "USB device cannot be recognized."

It says the drivers are the most current for this 'unrecognized device.' Under the driver tab, there is the option to uninstall the driver. Should I try this? Something else? Give up?

Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Administrator

My philosophy in these type cases is to try anything that shouldn't make it worse. If you're content with it is as is now, give up. Other than that, doing what seems logical at the moment is the order of the day. Uninstalling a non working device would seem to be the next step. I'd try that. When the driver reinstalls it may let you access the player through USB and let you fix any file system errors.

If that doesn't work I'd try deleting any files that are on there. As the transfer of the update shows you can reload from the card.

The one thing I would be certain not to do as long as you can still access Rockbox is not do anything that would remove the .rockbox folder. If you format it in the OF that will delete the .rockbox folder and you won't be able to use Rockbox to move files. You also would lose all your music files. At least now you can use the card for that. As long as you can do that it has some function.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How are you connecting the player to the notebook? Are you doing it directly without a hub or usb extension cable? Are you sure the usb cables you tried are data and power cables? Some usb cables are power only. Are you plugging in the notebook to AC power before connecting the player? Some notebooks revert the usb ports to USB1 to save power when on battery power. Check you power saving settings on the notebook. Do you have any usb1 things plugged into the notebook? Try plugging in the player after all other usb peripherals are disconnected.

How do you know the player isn't connecting? Sometimes when I connect my Clip+ there is a popup window, but other times there is no popup window, but the player still shows up in windows explorer(sometimes Windows Explorer also doesn't refresh, so if I close Windows Explorer then open it the player shows up).Make sure the usb mode on the player is set to MSC. Try opening Windows Explorer(right click on start, click on explore) after the cable to the player is connected.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
My philosophy in these type cases is to try anything that shouldn't make it worse. If you're content with it is as is now, give up.
Pretty sure that's where I am now. I can live with putting podcasts on the device through the SD card rather than direct through USB. Not that much more difficult, honestly. The CLIP has full functionality otherwise.

Quote:
Uninstalling a non working device would seem to be the next step. I'd try that. When the driver reinstalls it may let you access the player through USB and let you fix any file system errors.
I did try that to no effect.

Quote:
If that doesn't work I'd try deleting any files that are on there. As the transfer of the update shows you can reload from the card.
I may try that next if I feel motivated to keep at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
How are you connecting the player to the notebook? Are you doing it directly without a hub or usb extension cable?
Tried several cables, all short and used on other devices with no problem.
Quote:
Are you sure the usb cables you tried are data and power cables? Some usb cables are power only.
Yes.
Quote:
Are you plugging in the notebook to AC power before connecting the player?
Yes.
Quote:
Do you have any usb1 things plugged into the notebook? Try plugging in the player after all other usb peripherals are disconnected.
I did try this just now-- unplugged mouse and rebooted. Same result of "USB device not recognized"
Quote:
How do you know the player isn't connecting? Sometimes when I connect my Clip+ there is a popup window, but other times there is no popup window, but the player still shows up in windows explorer(sometimes Windows Explorer also doesn't refresh, so if I close Windows Explorer then open it the player shows up).
Yes, I have been checking through Explorer, hitting refresh. As the screenshot above shows, Explorer (on the left) has the partitioned hard drive and nothing else.

Quote:
Make sure the usb mode on the player is set to MSC.
Check.

Quote:
Try opening Windows Explorer(right click on start, click on explore) after the cable to the player is connected.
Done. Nothing but the hard drive shows up.

Ah well. I do greatly appreciate everyone's help. I'm pretty convinced there's something wrong with the CLIP itself, but as I have a workaround with the SD card, I will just live without USB connectivity. Thanks again everyone, y'all are great!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Administrator

While it's unfortunate you can't regain USB connectivity at least you are quitting while you're ahead. There's been more than once I've wished I was that smart.

I'd check this thread every once in a while. There's always the chance someone will see it that knows how to fix your issue. Good luck and hope that happens soon.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 PM

I'm not sure this is particularly helpful. My original clip developed a problem after I left it charging overnight using a power charger and plugged into a switched outlet. Without giving it a thought I flicked the wall switch and went to bed. Next morning the clip was completely discharged because it turns on when charged in this manner and was playing fm. After that it never would charge from the wall outlet, plugged into a usb port on computer it would not be recognized and wouldn't charge, except it did after leaving it plugged in for some length of time. I lived with this state of affairs for a few months until one day it just didn't ever want to charge (or be recognized).
I now have the clip+ and everything including the wall charger work fine.
It may well be that the overnight charge and subsequent discharge have nothing to do with the problem, but clearly there is some sort of failure mechanism that causes the clip to behave this way. I did open the case but the battery wiring seemed ok.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Administrator

I don't believe simply fully discharging a Clip or Clip+ causes this type failure. If it did I wouldn't have a single one that works. They've all been completely discharged at some point and they all still work.

The worst case was a 8 GB v2 that I thought was lost or stolen for months. When I finally found it more than 4 months had passed since I last remembered charging it and it was completely flat. I left it on a wall charger overnight as it wouldn't take a charge or wake up at first. After being connected overnight it still showed no signs of life. I disconnected it and reconnected it and it started to charge. The battery life is down quite a bit but it still functions properly during playback and when connected to a PC.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"Done. Nothing but the hard drive shows up."

You mean the card slot for the external memory for the player, but the player doesn't show up? Are you using Windows 7? If so, did you try removing the device listing i the Control panel devices and printers, then try connecting it again.