android
Old 08-03-2012, 06:35 PM

@Milkerman re: "You do know that this is the "Sticky: Rockbox: Clip Zip" thread, so who gives a **** about the OF in here"

I was simply replying to Jeanc's post. I wouldn't have thought that by me providing a helpful reply should have provoked this kind of reaction...

@WalkGood re: "find it interesting that some people just find Rockbox too complex"

I personally see advantages in using both the OF and Rockbox regularly.

I do not find Rockbox (or it's menus) complex at all and appreciate the full extent of it's settings. I also know the user manual inside and out.

I use the OF for my 70 ohm studio monitor headphones as I find EQ'ing extra bass in on the OF allows a little "compression" to take place and sounds 'nicer', despite forum members suspecting that this maybe a 'placebo' effect and that actually no compression is taking place.

Rockbox - I regularly use when I attach my Clip Zip as a source to my amp e.t.c for the cleanest of analogue audio signals (Zip-wise).

I hope that whoever reads my forum posts considers them to be honest and non-derogatory replies to others forum members.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Yeah you're not going to get any compression out of EQ period. Just not something that an EQ (or anything remotely like an EQ) does.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiru880 View Post
@Milkerman re: "You do know that this is the "Sticky: Rockbox: Clip Zip" thread, so who gives a **** about the OF in here"

I was simply replying to Jeanc's post. I wouldn't have thought that by me providing a helpful reply should have provoked this kind of reaction...

@WalkGood re: "find it interesting that some people just find Rockbox too complex"

I personally see advantages in using both the OF and Rockbox regularly.

I do not find Rockbox (or it's menus) complex at all and appreciate the full extent of it's settings. I also know the user manual inside and out.

I use the OF for my 70 ohm studio monitor headphones as I find EQ'ing extra bass in on the OF allows a little "compression" to take place and sounds 'nicer', despite forum members suspecting that this maybe a 'placebo' effect and that actually no compression is taking place.

Rockbox - I regularly use when I attach my Clip Zip as a source to my amp e.t.c for the cleanest of analogue audio signals (Zip-wise).

I hope that whoever reads my forum posts considers them to be honest and non-derogatory replies to others forum members.
Some how you have miss quoted me, look here. And my post was only in response to Mikerman's post above mine here.

If you think that the OF provides good bass via EQ then you’ll be really impressed with rockbox EQ as it blows the OF away hands down. And what compression are you talking about?

Last what do you mean by “cleanest of analogue audio signals (Zip-wise)?” Either in the OF or rockbox the signal is the same as long as you are not using sound enhancements.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-04-2012, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Some how you have miss quoted me, look here. And my post was only in response to Mikerman's post above mine here.

If you think that the OF provides good bass via EQ then you’ll be really impressed with rockbox EQ as it blows the OF away hands down. And what compression are you talking about?

Last what do you mean by “cleanest of analogue audio signals (Zip-wise)?” Either in the OF or rockbox the signal is the same as long as you are not using sound enhancements.
It seems okiru880 hears something different than most. There was a discussion about this earlier in this thread. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...790#post596790

At one point they said they were going to perform objective testing when they got the time. Seems like they haven't got around to it yet if they're still posting about the EQ applying compression.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 AM

tks skip, strange way for okiru880 to bring something back that was already disproved by saratoga & dfkt.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-04-2012, 07:08 AM

What I'm trying to say is that if you fiddle with the bass sliders in the OF EQ and crank them right to the top, you won't hear distortion, you'll hear weighty bass and by 'compression', I'm referring to the dynamic range of the sound signal being crunched to compensate for this.

If you compare the flat EQ of the OF and of rockbox, they're identical. However, when you heavily boost parts of the EQ in the OF, you can see shifts in the dynamic range... I guess I'm the only one that's taken the time to record and analyse the OF in different stages of EQ. I realise that this is a rockbox thread but hey, I'm sure that we can discuss comparisons.

I realise that the adjustment of EQ does not link to the adjustment of compression, this is obvious... however, the OF appears to link the two (in the software), possibly to avoid distortion - it is noted that you can really crank up the EQ in the OF without distortion...

Old 08-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Did you ever finally install it on any of your various Clips?
Haven't, yet, but likely will in a bit, now that it seems that Rockbox does not incapacitate DRM play in the OF (as it had been thought possibly to do, in earlier versions). Personally, I just don't like the idea of losing capabilities, in case they are needed (in the case of DRM capability, for example, with using library sources).

Old 08-04-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
However, when you heavily boost parts of the EQ in the OF, you can see shifts in the dynamic range... I guess I'm the only one that's taken the time to record and analyse the OF in different stages of EQ.
How exactly did you "analyse" it?

Old 08-04-2012, 05:19 PM

I used a Snare drum as a sample and recorded the output of the Zip playing this sample at different EQ stages of the OF EQ. I then normalised all of the .wav files to the same level and then compared the waveforms. By doing this I was able to see the shifts in dynamic range.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I used a Snare drum as a sample and recorded the output of the Zip playing this sample at different EQ stages of the OF EQ. I then normalised all of the .wav files to the same level and then compared the waveforms. By doing this I was able to see the shifts in dynamic range.
How exactly were you able to see shifts in the dynamic range? Did you try using a more straightforward tool like RMAA to check for it?

Actually, can you define what you mean by "dynamic range"?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 AM

Hi,
I just want to know if this is a known problem/bug and if there´s a fix;
Randomly (after 20min or so) the player just stops/shut down.
And it´s not down to the files (flac/mp3), because next time it plays fine - and stops on another file after a while, also I never had this issue on OF.
Heard of this before?
thx
[Rockbox version 120414-449dff4M-sansaclipzip + theme Zyp with needed fonts (3.11.2)]

Old 08-09-2012, 09:45 AM

Never heard of that issue, but your build is fairly old. Might be worth updating.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 AM

thanks for the hint,
it´s the one (&only) from rockbox.org/dev. builds/sansa clip zip
can you pls. point me to a better, more actual version?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundjunky View Post
thanks for the hint,
it´s the one (&only) from rockbox.org/dev. builds/sansa clip zip
can you pls. point me to a better, more actual version?
http://build.rockbox.org/

Old 09-17-2012, 04:29 PM

Guys i have some question

1. I have sansa clip zip rockbox version 10d8717-120329, my battery life only lasts for maximum of 6 hours and 30 minutes ( fullcharge and continuous playback shuffle no eq, volume 10, mostly my songs are 320 kbps and some are 128 kbps, i dont have any flac )

Is is normal that the battery life of my sansa clip is just like that. If not, can you help me?

2. Also i would like to know how to update my rockbox version ( detailed sorry im a newbie about this ), do i need to boot it in OF and then rockbox it in latest version?

Any suggestions will possibly help

Old 09-17-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukutufu View Post
Guys i have some question

1. I have sansa clip zip rockbox version 10d8717-120329, my battery life only lasts for maximum of 6 hours and 30 minutes ( fullcharge and continuous playback shuffle no eq, volume 10, mostly my songs are 320 kbps and some are 128 kbps, i dont have any flac )

Is is normal that the battery life of my sansa clip is just like that. If not, can you help me?

2. Also i would like to know how to update my rockbox version ( detailed sorry im a newbie about this ), do i need to boot it in OF and then rockbox it in latest version?

Any suggestions will possibly help
1) Not normal. How are you measuring?

2) Don't need to boot the original firmware, but you can if you want.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 PM

^

1. I just full charged it then clear my running time and top time i think then plug my headset and play the all tracks in shuffle mode.
Then i checked the time in the sansa clip zip its 6hours and 30 min. I also try doing it one more time, i didnt base it in my sansa clip zip time. I did it manually by looking at the clock, same thing happens but its almost 6 hours and 20 minites.

How can i fix this?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator

The most accurate way to measure runtime is to use the Battery Benchmark plugin. Directions on how to use it are here.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukutufu View Post
^

1. I just full charged it then clear my running time and top time i think then plug my headset and play the all tracks in shuffle mode.
Then i checked the time in the sansa clip zip its 6hours and 30 min. I also try doing it one more time, i didnt base it in my sansa clip zip time. I did it manually by looking at the clock, same thing happens but its almost 6 hours and 20 minites.

How can i fix this?
So, if I understand you correctly, you reset the running time, and then waited until the battery was almost dead and then checked the running time again?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:39 PM

^

no, the player is completely dead and then i plugged it into wall charger, and immediately check the system running and top time.