android
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 AM

Default Fuze v1 vs v2 when buying

Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a new Sansa Fuze, but I want to get a v1 as Rockbox has not yet discovered how to get line-out signal from the v2's dock.

Is there any way to know, when buying a Fuze, whether it is v1 or v2?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 AM

There is no way of knowing and line out on the fuze is the same as headphone out.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-19-2012, 09:04 AM

No it's not.

Line out from the dock locks the volume controls to a predefined level (because the speakers control the volume). The headphone jack does not. Further, if I want to plug the Fuze into my car deck (which I do) then I would rather have one cable coming from it (from the dock only) rather than two (ie. from the dock for charging and the headphone jack for listening).

It's not the same.

This isn't just about convenience. It's about getting the most out of my device. Is there really no way to know?

Okay, what it comes down to is this: I have a (now broken) Fuze v2. My wife has a Fuze v1. My car has a tape deck which turns out to be crappy (no surprise, really) so I ditched my cassette adapter and bought an iTrip FM transmitter for Fuze which works really well. The problem is that it works for my wife's Rockboxed v1, but not my v2 when I use Rockbox. I like Rockbox. I want to use it. So, when looking into replacing my broken Fuze (whose scroll wheel doesn't work), I want to buy a v1 so that I can use Rockbox in my car with the iTrip FM transmitter (which uses the dock only).

Someone, please tell me how I can purposefully buy a v1.

Last edited by chyron8472; 09-19-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:04 AM

Tests have show that it's exactly the same sound quality other than having the potentiometer work or not, believe what you want. That said, there is no way of telling what you'll get (v1 or v2).

Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 AM

Sound quality has nothing to do with it, though.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
Sound quality has nothing to do with it, though.
Maybe SQ has nothing to do with it for you but for others SQ is the reason to get one player or headphones over another. The differences between a headphone jack and a line out jack are normally trivial with today's gear, sometimes non-existent and other times it can even be worse SQ. Although why not investigating the difference yourself, the software is free RMAA. Here is an example but there are others and IIRC I even saw the fuze results before as well, which are said the v2 is better but I doubt most can hear any difference.

X5L Line Out RMAA
Headphone out RMAA

Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, there's no way to know which one you are getting, until you get it and turn it on and see the firmware version that is on the player.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Maybe SQ has nothing to do with it for you but for others SQ is the reason to get one player or headphones over another. The differences between a headphone jack and a line out jack are normally trivial with today's gear, sometimes non-existent and other times it can even be worse SQ. Although why not investigating the difference yourself, the software is free RMAA. Here is an example but there are others and IIRC I even saw the fuze results before as well, which are said the v2 is better but I doubt most can hear any difference.
Again, if you'll read my previous post, I have an iTrip FM transmitter designed to use the Fuze dock only. The FM transmitter charges the Fuze and transmits the audio signal with one single cable running between the Fuze's dock and the cigarette lighter.

I don't have to use the tape deck. I don't have to have 2 cables running around which would clutter my car up more than just the one.

I want to use Rockbox because Rockbox has superior settings. For one thing, ti has car mode which pauses the Fuze when the car turns off.

This has nothing to do with sound quality. At all.

Last edited by chyron8472; 09-19-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 AM

I understood that from the get go and you seem to have missed what Marvin clearly stated again .... Seems you're more interested in having a pissing match than reading what I told you twice and now verified by another member.

Edit: why not order the player and if you don't get what you want send it back
Edit2: now I look back and see that you've edited 3 posts and deleted one ...

Last edited by WalkGood; 09-19-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I understood that from the get go and you seem to have missed what Marvin clearly stated again .... Seems you're more interested in having a pissing match than reading what I told you twice and now verified by another member.
Because 1) you didn't listen to me as audio quality was obviously not at issue for why I wanted to only use the dock so there was no reason to address it in the first place, and 2) I didn't want to accept the response of the the first person and only person to reply as law, so I was interested in waiting for more opinions.

Quote:
Edit: why not order the player and if you don't get what you want send it back
It seems that I will have to.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Because 1) you didn't listen to me as audio quality was obviously not at issue for why I wanted to only use the dock so there was no reason to address it in the first place
Don’t say I didn’t listen, you didn’t mention the dock until post 3, which you deleted, reposted and then edited it again as I was replying.

Quote:
2) I didn't want to accept the response of the the first person and only person to reply as law, so I was interested in waiting for more opinions.
That’s your prerogative, no need to argue about the other and just wait for even more responses … BTW you could have easily checked my profile as I did yours and seen that I've been around since 2006 or Marvin from 2008 and normally we wouldn't post BS ...

Quote:
It seems that I will have to.
While you’ll read a lot of BS on the net, for example "you can tell by the SKU number," which was quickly proven to be false.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
I guess find someone with a V1 who will sell you one.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Don’t say I didn’t listen, you didn’t mention the dock until post 3, which you deleted, reposted and then edited it again as I was replying.
I had edited my post, but then I put a lengthy enough edit that I decided to just delete and repost it to show on the index that there was an unread reply (rather than just double posting).

Quote:
[...]normally we wouldn't post BS ...
you never know with some people. The net is full of people who think they know everything and are quite confident about it.

On topic... I just contacted Amazon and they said that if I bought a Fuze, knowing that the version is unknown until opening it, that it may be deemed as my error and not theirs, which would mean I'd be responsible for shipping--even return shipping.

So this makes the issue a more complicated one.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I had edited my post, but then I put a lengthy enough edit that I decided to just delete and repost it to show on the index that there was an unread reply (rather than just double posting).
Mods can see it all

Quote:
you never know with some people. The net is full of people who think they know everything and are quite confident about it.
That’s why I always check others profiles, good habit to get into and I agree on the know it all peeps …

Quote:
On topic... I just contacted Amazon and they said that if I bought a Fuze, knowing that the version is unknown until opening it, that it may be deemed as my error and not theirs, which would mean I'd be responsible for shipping--even return shipping. So this makes the issue a more complicated one.
Shipping is a small price to pay to get what you want. On the other hand you could look for a used player and ask the owner what firmware is currently on the player, this way you can easily tell.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I didn't want to accept the response of the the first person and only person to reply as law, so I was interested in waiting for more opinions.
You would have to ask the seller to note the firmware version on the Fuze. This is the only way that I know of that will guarantee that you will be sold a version-1 Fuze.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Amazon's stance on shipping is to be expected. If an item functions according to spec there's no reason Amazon or one of it's vendors should have to pay the freight for your experiments.

You want an out of date, out of production device for a specialized function. Even though it's standard device what you want is essentially custom. Custom costs more.

I haven't checked in a long while but at one point there were vendors on ebay that would guarantee which version you would get. They did that by opening the packaging and checking the firmware.

If you don't find a vendor that does that's currently doing that on ebay you might want to place an WTB (Want To Buy) ad in the Classifieds here. The Fuze was fairly popular at one time and there may be someone willing to sell theirs.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 AM

Of course, a simpler (for me) solution would be for the Rockbox devs to get it to support line-out on v2, but there's no way to know when or if that will ever happen.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Of course, a simpler (for me) solution would be for the Rockbox devs to get it to support line-out on v2, but there's no way to know when or if that will ever happen.
Strong possibility that will never happen after all they know there's no diff between HP out and line out on the fuze. That said, an easier solution would be to buy your wife a new player and confiscate her v1

Old 09-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
On the other hand you could look for a used player and ask the owner what firmware is currently on the player, this way you can easily tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
You would have to ask the seller to note the firmware version on the Fuze. This is the only way that I know of that will guarantee that you will be sold a version-1 Fuze.
WalkGood and Enigmatic are right; asking on a per-device basis is unfortunately your only bet. When I was in your position (also seeking a v1 Fuze for its Rockboxed dock functionality, also not for sound quality reasons), I contacted a number of eBay sellers about the firmware version on their players. Several of them were kind enough to check for me.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
. . . an easier solution would be to buy your wife a new player and confiscate her v1
That's what I was going to suggest. Order a Fuze. If it gets to you and it's a v2, just say, "Honey, I love and appreciate you so much, I was going to buy you flowers, but then I thought flowers just die after a few days anyway so I spent the same amount of money and bought you a new mp3 player to replace your old, dilapidated one. I'll just use that old one for the car."

You'll be a hero!