android
Old 09-22-2012, 09:32 PM

Default Is SGP 4.0 a "Plays For Sure" device?

I just took delivery of a 2012 Chevy Cruze that has a USB port in the armrest. It works great with my thumb drives, but I'm trying to figure out if I can use my SGP 4 with it, as opposed to using a patch cord from the SGP into the car's aux input jack.

The owner's manual says that the car's audio system is compatible with iPod and Plays For Sure devices, but I can't find anything in either the Samsung literature (what little there is of it) or website that tells whether this player is PFD-compatible.

Not a big deal, but it would be nice to access playlists and so on through the car's audio system. TIA.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-23-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPod_newB View Post
The owner's manual says that the car's audio system is compatible with iPod and Plays For Sure devices, but I can't find anything in either the Samsung literature (what little there is of it) or website that tells whether this player is PFD-compatible.
In the strictest sense I believe one of the requirements for a device getting the PlaysForSure certification is that it has the ability to play DRM'd windows media content (WMA, WMV etc.) I don't think the SGP does DRM'd Windows Media but in this case it likely won't matter.

Your SGP can be configured with a number of connection profiles, one of which being Media Player. If that doesn't work and you have to connect in Mass Storage mode, at worst, the car's audio system will just see a large thumb drive with all your music.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 AM

I have a 2012 Cruze LT with usb and use a SGP 3.6. For me the 3.6 is not play for sure. I can only get it to work with the usb if I set the player for mass storage. It takes forever for the Cruze to index all my music (10,000+ mp3s) and has to do it every time you turn the car on. I just use the usb to charge the device and just use the aux input.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think that if you change the USB settings to "Media Transfer Protocol" (aka MTP, I think that's what Android calls it), it should work with Plays For Sure periphery.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 PM

Plays for Sure was a Microsoft spec from 2004 that they abandoned in 2008. I'm amazed that any devices made today are mentioning it. They're about 4 years out of date.

Barry

Old 10-02-2012, 03:01 PM

I find the hand-held nature of the SGP safer to use than a head unit's display. With the SGP in hand, I can bring it up to where I can see both it and the road at the same time. I also find it better than a console-mounted GPS, for the same reason.