android
Old 10-09-2012, 02:02 AM

Default Is Sony's Media Go good software?

Hello folks,just got walkman 473.Wondering if the Media Go program is sonically equal to Windows Media Player,is it better to use one over the other.I notice with WMP I don't get the album art to show on the walkman(even after updating album info),but will if I use Media Go(although my album art isn't always the same as MG).Also,is it ok to be ripping @ 192kbps(saves space 4gb model).Thanks for any help.

*sorry,just seen section for software*

Last edited by ripn3s; 10-09-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

---I've renamed your thread so that someone looking to provide answers might be able to find it easily. Please use descriptive titles in the future.---

I haven't had Media Go installed in a while and it's been updated since then so I can't really say much about it's features as they are now. At that time I found both WMP and Media Go to be equally poor for my needs. Media Go may have improved, I know WMP hasn't.

Unless a PC based music player is broken one should sound the same as the next. Since I don't use WMP or Media Go I won't say they sound the same, but they should. One may have sound enhancements like equalizers or the ability to use DSPs (Digital Signal Processors) that another doesn't. That will make one sound different from the other.

Among the many reasons I moved away from WMP was the different way it handled album art. It would usually display but it was most often a lower quality than what I expected. I would provide a decent quality image and then what would actually display would be of a much lower quality. Sometimes it was a different picture altogether. It turns out WMP will fetch what it thinks is right, shrink your image down to around 9 kB then display either one.

You can make WMP stop doing that by making your files read only but if you ever unlock them to make changes you can undo the work you've done fetching the better quality images. I REALLY dislike software that messes with my files without me knowing so that was enough for me to stop using WMP.

I use MusicBee to manage my Sony players. I found it has features that WMP doesn't and only does what I want done to my files. The album art always displays proerly and is the image I want. MusicBee may show me different images it can fetch automatically but if I prefer something else that's the one it uses.

I'd recommend you use your ears and equipment to determine what quality/bitrate settings are the best for you to use on your player. Well encoded mp3 files at ~192 kbps will usually be transparent to the lossless source but you may find that you can save even more space by using a lower setting and still not hear a difference from the original. You can find suggestion on how to determine for what's best for your uses here How Can I Determine Which Is Best to Use on My Digital-Audio Players?

Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 AM

Agree with all Skip said, although I don't like either program you mentioned. 192 VBR is what I rip at and it's perfect for portable tunes for me, that said it may or may not be right for you but if you test a few files you'll know (again Skip pointed you in the right direction). Also here’a a few good threads for you to read:
Welcome to abi

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome to ABi !

I agree w/WalkGood & Skip252's posts. You really should give MusicBee a try. I used it a while ago and it was great but now I prefer foobar2000. I use it as my only media player/manager. iTunes is installed though to manage my iPod.

As far as mp3 bitrates, you should do some testing. On an MP3 player as small as 4GB, I definitely wouldn't go above 192kbps. But if you use the high-quality LAME encoder, the -V2 (~192kbps) or even -V4 (~165kbps) would do just fine. Take a look here for the recommended encoder settings. As always though, test various settings with your gear and determine what sounds best to you.

Good luck!

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 AM

Super thanks gents!
I was making alot of mistakes then finally got one ripped sucessfully @ 192.I instintly heard a much more relaxed natural sound with alot of the atributes I associate with home audio equipment.
Truly appreciate the welcomes and stepping stones.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripn3s View Post
I was making alot of mistakes then finally got one ripped sucessfully @ 192.I instintly heard a much more relaxed natural sound with alot of the atributes I associate with home audio equipment.
It is not about hearing a much more relaxed natural sound with a lot of the attributes associated with home-audio equipment. It is about hearing or not hearing compression artefacts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_artifact.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@ripn3s, what software did you use to rip your music? I've never had problems ripping anything.....

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 10-11-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
It is not about hearing a much more relaxed natural sound with a lot of the attributes associated with home-audio equipment. It is about hearing or not hearing compression artefacts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_artifact.
Hey thanks for that Enigmatic,I'm positive the settings I was using were incorrect.I picked all the lesser quality settings,thinking with only 4GB capacity the need to save space was premium.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:58 AM

Hi McDougal,
.......well I tried to use WMP,lol.Please understand that I don't use WMP and never owned an MP3 player,I know jurassic age and from under a rock!I could get things ripped and in the player but it just didn't sound right.
I did d/l the above software and that has more "buttons,switches and knobs than WMP,yikes!......I have a lot more reading to do.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Hello again,is this where I can ask questions about MusicBee or is there another section?

Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Ask away. We don't bite. Well, at least most of us.

It'll be easier to keep it here than trying to start a new thread. It's a thread about your interest in media library software so it's just fine.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:42 PM

*Coolness* I'm trying to learn the best way to rip,in that program there are check boxes for MP3,FLAC and others.If I'm only going to use the FLAC and MP3 encoders is it ok to uncheck the others I'm not using.From reading its best to use FLAC,to rip from cd and then take those files and re-rip or encode them into MP3s?All this can be done from within MusicBee? Thanks skip252

Old 10-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Administrator

You got it right in one. Just because the other encoding options are available doesn't mean you need to use them. If you uncheck them you won't see those options when you rip or convert. Less clutter should make things a bit simpler. If you ever decide to use them just check them again and the options will be shown when you want to rip or convert.

The rip once to lossless, FLAC in this case, then encode to your preferred format is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. Once you get a disc properly ripped you have all the audio information preserved. You can then encode to whatever format you prefer and the results will be the same as if you ripped the disc again.

The big difference is speed and less wear and tear on your optical drive. You can encode from a lossless file in a fraction of time it takes to rip it a disc again.

MusicBee is a very complete music manager. I typically use foobar2000 due to long familiarity but if I ever changed it would be to MusicBee.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Awesome,thank you Sir.