android
Old 10-25-2012, 08:07 AM

Default H320 won't play some new downloads

I've had my H320 for 7 years, never had a problem, and I'm following the exact same procedures I always have done. Last week, I bought two downloads from Amazon, a single track and an album. I synched up my H320 using Jukebox Synchroniser. However, whilst the single track was fine, the album would not play. It displayed each track name as having a length of 00.00, then went onto the next track, same thing right the way through the album. I deleted / resynched / redownloaded / resynched... same result. The tracks all play fine on the PC, and also play fine via the PC (i.e. from the H320 when I attach it as a device). The properties of the files are exactly the same, no encryption, everything else identical. I called Amazon, who were very helpful, but after 30 mins, I had to agree with them that it was something to do with the H320. I updated the firmware to the latest version, and a friend advised me to convert the offending files to non-variable bit-rate MP3 files, and resynch. Still the same. I even converted them to .WMA files (which some of my albums are) - still the same. I have about 25% free space on the H320, BTW.

Any ideas? Is it time to buy a new player?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Welcome to ABI.

Just wondering: If these are not DRM encoded files, what if instead of syncing you reconnect the cable from the media port to the data port, then drag and drop the music via Windows Explorer instead? Maybe there's a problem with the syncing Software.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 AM

Hi, thanks for the welcome. Just tried that, and I'm afraid it didn't work.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Samsung Moderator

Maybe it works with Rockbox?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Do your other song files play? If there is another song on your player you don't care to lose, try to resync that song also. If the song plays successfully, there could be a small chance that those other two songs are not compatible, and most probably because of the tagging that's associated with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium
Maybe it works with Rockbox?
I don't think this is a good idea because the OP has a North American player. Rockbox requires International firmware, and if that is applied, he will lose the capability to play DRM music forever, even if the American firmware is installed again. When it's reinstalled, there will be a message stating "Can't Found" DRM Key" There is no known way to restore the DRM capabilities when International FW is used. Being that the OP stated he uses Jukebox, there could be a strong possibilities he also uses DRM encoded music.

Last edited by musichound; 10-25-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Samsung Moderator

Oh I did not know that, thanks for the info musichound!

That said, I personaly don't consider that as a real issue. DRM should not exist and no one should still have DRM files on his computer in 2012

Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

True, and I'll go one step further to say that whoever invented DRM to begin with should go to prison, lol

Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 AM

Sorry, I neglected to say I'm in the UK. I tried deleting and then re-synching with other songs and it worked fine. As you say, there must be something different about the new songs, which can't be detected (or changed) by a PC. And if this is the new format, then maybe it's time to upgrade my player.

[edit] And sorry, I don't know what DRM is!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofdavros View Post
Sorry, I neglected to say I'm in the UK. I tried deleting and then re-synching with other songs and it worked fine. As you say, there must be something different about the new songs, which can't be detected (or changed) by a PC. And if this is the new format, then maybe it's time to upgrade my player.

[edit] And sorry, I don't know what DRM is!
Then that's good. Chances are you have the International player, with USB and Host ports instead. I stated you might have the NA player just in case.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Samsung Moderator

In this case I would recommend you to try Rockbox on your H320 (dualboot so don't worry you can still boot the iRiver firmware).

You'll see that really gives it a new life

Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

True, I put Rockbox on my H320 also. It needs a batery now, so I hope to get this sorted soon.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the tip. I have (predictably) screwed up the Rockbox installation, despite trying a couple of times. Could I just clarify a few points please:
1. I extract the files onto my iRiver, correct?
2. When I did the install, and it asked for the firmware file, it said 100% installed, but did have a "no entry" sign in the messages, saying something like "there's already a firmware file on your device."
3. I then did the FWPatcher process, successfully patched the file, and copied it across to the iRiver, but...
4. Still got the "-1" error.

Your patience is appreciated...

Old 10-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I didn't do this in a long time, but i believe you need to use the FW patcher first, and once it's patched, place the file in the root directory of your player. Then, after it's flashed, you will also need to unzip the daily build. Hopefully Lebellium can add/clarify a few things that I left out.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Samsung Moderator

Hum I'm not sure I really understand what you mean by "FW Patcher"? Rockbox Utility?

Basically you just need to use Rockbox Utility, give it the OF (=Official Firmware= iRiver firmware) file path when it asks for it (it will patch the original firmware to add the rockbox bootloader) then you install either Rockbox v3.12 or a daily build. Optionally you can install themes and font pack (needed for many themes), still with Rockbox Utility.
When you're done, disconnect the H320 from the PC, turn it on. OF boots. Go to menu>general settings>firmware upgrade. "Are you sure?" YES
At next startup, rockbox should load by default.
To boot the OF instead of Rockbox, press and hold "rec" while pressing on "play"

Last edited by lebellium; 10-25-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:50 PM

Thanks, Lebellium. I followed your instructions which were very clear, but at the end, I still get the -1. At least I know how to get the OF now. I then uninstalled and started from the beginning, but am still getting the -1.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Samsung Moderator

Hum I've never heard of that error, I can't really help

I would suggest you to try with another firmware (I use 1.29E, what about you?).
If it still doesn't work, you'd better ask on the Rockbox forum or on the IRC channel #rockbox. Hopefully some Rockbox experts can help you.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:36 PM

I just tried with 1.29E, and same result. Thanks, I'll try the Rockbox forum.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:30 AM

Hi, I just installed Rockbox for the first time on H320. The installer utility did not work. The manual install instructions in the H320 manual Did work.

For manual installation:

You need the main program
You need the FWpatcher.exe

If it doesn't work, then you are doing something to a file on your player that you should be doing to the same file while it is still on your PC and then you drag the patched version over to the player.
You do not need the installer utility

I used the manual install instructiions from this document:
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...#x4-110002.2.2

The .Hex file that you modify will on your PC when you modify it (it will not be on the H320/H349 player). Then you drag into into the .rockbox folder on your H320/H340.

As you know to boot into the old UI hold down the top right button while you hold down the top left button. Just hold the top left button to boot into the Rockbox UI.

It took me a couple times even using the manual method to get it right, because the instructions were not clear and could be interpreted different ways, namely they did not give the name of the file they were talking about they just said 'bootloader' or 'patcher instead of the actual name of the file.

EDIT: In other words while Rockbox is easy to install, the instructions on the Rockbox website are not written in English, they are written in Geek English, and therefore difficult for an English speaking person to decipher. .

So just try each step in all possible ways that step could possibly be interpreted and eventually you hit the right combination and it installs.

Just be careful not to delete anything from the player folders during these steps.

Last edited by CrowDriver; 10-28-2012 at 04:42 AM.