android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 09-03-2012, 01:51 AM

all these apps to test things could be the problem. my battery meter seems a little flakey. it drops capacity very quickly when in use, but from 60% it really slows down to 15%. so i have learned to read it better.
unless you give the battery a full charge discharge cycle from new, and then do real world tests, you wont get an accurate measure of whats normal for your device.
it also takes playing with settings to streamline its performance.
7 months on, mine still does 9 1/2 hours of video playback.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 AM

It seems that when I charge my 4.2 using the wall charger that came with the player, I have the nice and slow battery discharge shown in my last screen capture. But if I charge it via USB connection to my PC, I get rapid battery discharge. I've never seen this kind of thing happen before. Does this make sense to you?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 PM

YES!
I only use the wall charger. I found that the USB cable would never get to 100%, it also takes half the time with the wall unit!
I've just tested the standby time on my 5.0, over 24hours it only discharged 5% which surprised me (mainly as I can't leave it alone). I checked that apps had not turned on after 12 hours, RAM was showing as 22oMB free.
I still think that unless you do measured tests, it will always "seem" like it is discharging faster than it really is.

Have to say, unless the new 5.8 is a really low price, I'm not changing my 5.0! now got 64GB of memory, LOVE IT!

marcel

Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Default Help needed for custom kernel

I know this isn't the best post to make a announce like this but I didin't need the necessity of doing a new thread. So I'm trying to make an insecure kernel for the SGP 4.2. Do to so I would need (with root explorer) to copy the init.rc, init.hugo.rc, the init and recovery file and send it to me please. This way I'll can have the full initramfs and compile a kernel for people that wants to get root (hopefully. )

Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel f View Post
YES!
I only use the wall charger. I found that the USB cable would never get to 100%, it also takes half the time with the wall unit!
I've just tested the standby time on my 5.0, over 24hours it only discharged 5% which surprised me (mainly as I can't leave it alone). I checked that apps had not turned on after 12 hours, RAM was showing as 22oMB free.
I still think that unless you do measured tests, it will always "seem" like it is discharging faster than it really is.

Have to say, unless the new 5.8 is a really low price, I'm not changing my 5.0! now got 64GB of memory, LOVE IT!

marcel
The wall charger, from my readings, gushes with power, transferring in the high 700s mA (I believe per cycle), while the USB starts from around 500 mA. But, since I like charging overnight, I prefer the USB connection to avoid overcharging the thing. Also, from what I understand, the USB connection also doesn't let the device overcharge.

Yah- I can't wait til either the 5.0 US gets a new kernel with swap support to increase RAM, or a working kernel for ICS (w/ working everything) for better memory management.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:45 AM

[QUOTE=alljokingaside;620605]The wall charger, from my readings, gushes with power, transferring in the high 700s mA (I believe per cycle), while the USB starts from around 500 mA. But, since I like charging overnight, I prefer the USB connection to avoid overcharging the thing. Also, from what I understand, the USB connection also doesn't let the device overcharge.

I don't believe the wall charger overcharges the unit. With my Samsung phone, after it shows full charge I unplug it for 5 minutes. After this time it will charge for 30 minutes extra. With the galaxy player it does not charge any further when it's plugged in again, so the charge circuit is better/better protected.

marcel

Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM

[quote=marcel f;620623]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alljokingaside View Post
The wall charger, from my readings, gushes with power, transferring in the high 700s mA (I believe per cycle), while the USB starts from around 500 mA. But, since I like charging overnight, I prefer the USB connection to avoid overcharging the thing. Also, from what I understand, the USB connection also doesn't let the device overcharge.

I don't believe the wall charger overcharges the unit. With my Samsung phone, after it shows full charge I unplug it for 5 minutes. After this time it will charge for 30 minutes extra. With the galaxy player it does not charge any further when it's plugged in again, so the charge circuit is better/better protected.

marcel
on my razr's charger if I charge my player turned off on it, it will actually cut off power to the SGP once it's charged up (you can tell this by the fact that taping the power button doesn't bring up that battery indicator once it finishes charging) alternately if I charge up with the samsung charger I can pull up that battery icon as long as I'm plugged into the charger, no matter how long its been since its finished charging, so I would still be concerned with overcharging.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 PM

doesn't the unit stop accepting a charge or something after it is fully charged?
you have me worried about mine because i usually leave it plugged in overnight to charge and it is still plugged in after being fully charged for at least 3 hours or so until i wake up and disconnect it.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 PM

I've read before that that's a concern, the overcharging. I remember folks worrying about this. But possibly only if you power down and charge? My battery monitoring program indicates that it doesn't, since I get positive values for mA, meaning intake, meaning active charging, even if it's at 95% every 10 mins (it takes metrics every 10 mins//while powered on, mine maxes out at 95%, generally), though the whole battery metric thing with the SGP is a mess. Also, since the battery measurement thing on the SGP is pretty ....rudimentary (for a word) I wouldn't trust it to be smart enough to cut off when it should.

Even if it does cut off when powered on, then another concern I'd have would be overheating, since it would discharge after recharging, forcing another cycle once it hit 95-90%, and recharging always is a heat-intensive endeavor, especially from the wall. Even if it does cut off, these little things like overheating will wear on the battery in the long run. Is my reasoning.

Charging from USB means for me that this isn't even a concern, that I don't have to worry about whether or not it'll cut off, since the thing's usually charged to the brim like 20-30 mins before/after I wake up. (I don't sleep much, ha)

Last edited by alljokingaside; 09-06-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:46 AM

I keep mine plugged in 18-24 hours a day and have for a year without any battery loss and no overheating.

edit: To clarify, this is charging while it's on, not when it's off.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:10 AM

I have a 3.6" galaxy and get poor battery life when wifi is on. I've tried the settings mentioned in this thread and others but it doesn't help much. It's disappointing if the galaxy is just a music player and can't be used much for wifi.