android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 PM

Thanks Daniel,and sorry about the inconvenience,i will going to search deeper on the forums.If i don't find anything specific then i will start a new thread,i don't want to bore other with useless thread ,as i already did somewhere else.
From what i understood Kernel is a species of rooting with modification for better sound quality output,but now i am not so sure any more.
Best

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-10-2012, 10:11 PM

Is this the custom stock rom which can be flashed with Odin without rooting first with Superoneclick?

I can't root my SGP 4.0 with Superone click though was able to do it for a tablet.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarij View Post
Is this the custom stock rom which can be flashed with Odin without rooting first with Superoneclick?

I can't root my SGP 4.0 with Superone click though was able to do it for a tablet.
no this is a custom gingerbread ROM for international players and a US and INTL kernel, this is also the OLDEST thing out there for the 4.0, come over to xda to get into what is happening these days. but at the same time you could just flash this with odin and be running a rooted custom ROM if your an INTL player.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 PM

Default Cant' get into Download mode

n step six I don't get a guy I get a guy in a triangle with a shovel is is this the correct mode

Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistic99 View Post
n step six I don't get a guy I get a guy in a triangle with a shovel is is this the correct mode
yes, but this is REALLY old there are MANY more choices these days http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1423 look for ROMs or Kernels for the 4.0

Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM

I just wanted to say a big thank you to steve for creating his kernel and to the people on this forum. I have a 2k tacoma which has a stock tape deck that I use my galaxy player through a cassette adapter and I always thought the sound could be louder but couldn't be better.....boy was I wrong. After I rooted my galaxy player (thank you to the helpful people on the forum) I installed steve's kernel and the voodoo app and my god the sound coming out of my car stereo is absolutely amazing. It's louder and sounds so much clearer. The added benefit of the overclocking app is nice too =). I use my Galaxy player primarily as an mp3 player on my commute to and from work plus as a way to kill time during down time at work.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:08 PM

I hesitated loading Steve's kernel or doing anything other than rooting my Galaxy 4.0 until I got another device in case something went wrong. I got a 4.3 a couple of days ago and decided to try it.

I flashed it, got the cute new Android graphic... and then an endless boot loop.

So it looks like I did the smart thing by not using this kernel.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
I hesitated loading Steve's kernel or doing anything other than rooting my Galaxy 4.0 until I got another device in case something went wrong. I got a 4.3 a couple of days ago and decided to try it.

I flashed it, got the cute new Android graphic... and then an endless boot loop.

the bootloop is nothing, thats easy to fix, just force it into recovery and "wipe data/factory reset", if that doesn't fix it then flash the prerooted .tar here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1512331 and then in stock recovery do the "wipe data/factory reset".

Now once you get operational again, get a NEWER kernel like TERRASILENT (steves was the first, then there was Klin's now we ALL use Terrasilent, if we are on GingerBread), but most of us have moved on from that and we are now running one of the CM9/CM10 preview builds.

Steve's Kernel was old and outdated a year ago, why would you be flashing it, have you not read the last page or 3 of this thread about newer stuff?

Old 05-02-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
the bootloop is nothing, thats easy to fix, just force it into recovery and "wipe data/factory reset", if that doesn't fix it then flash the prerooted .tar here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1512331 and then in stock recovery do the "wipe data/factory reset".
It didn't work. The touchscreen doesn't work at all. This also prevents recovery from working since the home key no longer works.

I can flash the international versions but the touchscreen is then upside down and they expect the physical home key.

I don't know what is preventing the touch screen from working properly so, looks like it's garbage now.

Quote:
Steve's Kernel was old and outdated a year ago, why would you be flashing it, have you not read the last page or 3 of this thread about newer stuff?
Did something happen that made Steve's original kernel not work any more? Generally its the new stuff that will blow up in your face.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
It didn't work. The touchscreen doesn't work at all. This also prevents recovery from working since the home key no longer works.

I can flash the international versions but the touchscreen is then upside down and they expect the physical home key.

I don't know what is preventing the touch screen from working properly so, looks like it's garbage now.

Did something happen that made Steve's original kernel not work any more? Generally its the new stuff that will blow up in your face.
What do you mean touch screen doesn't work, of what I said to do what did you try? you do know you don't use a touchscreen in recovery right?

Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
What do you mean touch screen doesn't work, of what I said to do what did you try? you do know you don't use a touchscreen in recovery right?
You do use the touch screen in recovery. That's how the "capacitive" button swork. When your touch screen doesn't work (with the US version) those buttons (specifically the Home/Menu button) no longer work. I don't know why the buttons don't work in recovery since it should be using the kernel I flashed.

The only way I can get to the download screen is with a USBjig but at least I can get to the download screen so there's hope I can make it do something someday. Unfortunately nothing I've flashed has worked. The International versions give me an upside down touchscreen and no buttons but I can enable USB debugging and use the Android Debugger. It also proves my touch screen isn't broken.

For some reason the touch screen doesn't work at with the US stock ROMs which is completely baffling. It's as if something has permanently been altered in the device.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM

I only had 1 time where my touch screen stopped working and I went back into recovery and did a wipe data/factory reset and it worked on the next boot, capacitive buttons are TOTALLY different from the touchscreen, but even then (I can't remember what stock used off hand) some of the recovery's use the power button for select, so you could try that, also FYI, you can flash the International ROM with odin then go into download mode again and flash the US kernel "overtop" and it should give you a working home button, Unless you flashed a ROM based off of CM7/CM9/CM10 it's pretty hard to mess these players up permanently.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I got a 4.3 a couple of days ago and decided to try it.

States he purchased a 4.3, must mean 4.2 as I don't think there is a 4.3 out. If this is the one he is trying to root, it cannot be rooted as XDA hasn't done anything for it.

There are still factory refurbs on ebay by bigoutletelectronics,
4.0-$129.99 4.2-$139.99 5.0-$149.99 all free shipping with 90 warranty.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
States he purchased a 4.3, must mean 4.2 as I don't think there is a 4.3 out. If this is the one he is trying to root, it cannot be rooted as XDA hasn't done anything for it.

There are still factory refurbs on ebay by bigoutletelectronics,
4.0-$129.99 4.2-$139.99 5.0-$149.99 all free shipping with 90 warranty.
Tabs, you missed the first sentence where he says he hesitated to do anything to his 4.0 until he just recently got the new one you refer to, also XDA has a root for the 4.2 and has had it for months http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1885374

Old 05-03-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I only had 1 time where my touch screen stopped working and I went back into recovery and did a wipe data/factory reset and it worked on the next boot, capacitive buttons are TOTALLY different from the touchscreen, but even then (I can't remember what stock used off hand) some of the recovery's use the power button for select, so you could try that,
Even if the capacitive buttons are TOTALLY different from the touchscreen, they are still TOTALLY inoperative just like the touchscreen. All other Android devices I own use the power button as the "Enter/OK" in recovery mode although they didn't have as many different hardware configurations worldwide like the Player 4.0. The power button does nothing in the Player 4.0's recovery mode.

Quote:
also FYI, you can flash the International ROM with odin then go into download mode again and flash the US kernel "overtop" and it should give you a working home button,
I will certainly try that, although from the Android boot sequence it looks like the hardware is initialized in the bootloader so a US kernel may not get it working. I have flashed an entire stock ROM to the thing including a US kernel and that completely disabled the touchscreen.

Quote:
Unless you flashed a ROM based off of CM7/CM9/CM10 it's pretty hard to mess these players up permanently.
Yeah... that's what I thought too!

Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Even if the capacitive buttons are TOTALLY different from the touchscreen, they are still TOTALLY inoperative just like the touchscreen. All other Android devices I own use the power button as the "Enter/OK" in recovery mode although they didn't have as many different hardware configurations worldwide like the Player 4.0. The power button does nothing in the Player 4.0's recovery mode.

I will certainly try that, although from the Android boot sequence it looks like the hardware is initialized in the bootloader so a US kernel may not get it working. I have flashed an entire stock ROM to the thing including a US kernel and that completely disabled the touchscreen.

Yeah... that's what I thought too!
I was under the impression none of these ROMs can touch the bootloader (isn't it locked?), other then this, if you can get the player to the point where you can pull an EFS backup off of it with adb then you could use the heimdall method here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1531850 and then wipe data /factory reset in the stock recovery.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression none of these ROMs can touch the bootloader (isn't it locked?),
I sure hope so.

Quote:
other then this, if you can get the player to the point where you can pull an EFS backup off of it with adb
I believe I did an EFS back up to a card with dd before I started this. I'll check that card when I get home.

Quote:
then you could use the heimdall method here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1531850 and then wipe data /factory reset in the stock recovery.
Oddly I have not gotten heimdall to work on either Linux or Windows. Neither of them recognize the device, however odin recognizes it immediately. I'm using the latest version 1.3.2.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I sure hope so.

I believe I did an EFS back up to a card with dd before I started this. I'll check that card when I get home.

Oddly I have not gotten heimdall to work on either Linux or Windows. Neither of them recognize the device, however odin recognizes it immediately. I'm using the latest version 1.3.2.
when you get heimdall you have to go into the driver folder in it and run the zadig.exe file then with the player in download mode plug the player into a USB other (preferably on the opposite side of the computer) then the one you use for Odin as this process WILL overwrite the odin driver on that usb "stack", once the player is in download mode and plugged in, go to the zadig program and choose from the options dropdown menu "list all devices" then make sure the samsung player is the selected device and click replace driver. you should now be able to use heimdall.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Tabs, you missed the first sentence where he says he hesitated to do anything to his 4.0 until he just recently got the new one you refer to, also XDA has a root for the 4.2 and has had it for months http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1885374
Thanks for the link, and sorry, I didn't see that. From reading this forum, I never noticed there was a root for the 4.2. What does the root do to the 4.2 and the 5.0?

Old 05-05-2013, 01:21 AM

Here's how you destroy your SGP 4.0 (US only).

The International recovery ROMs contain two interesting files: boot.bin and sbl.bin. I know sbl.bin is the secondary bootloader and I'm guessing the first is most likely the bootloader. Flash that ROM and you now have completely recovered your non-US SGP4.0.

Guess which two files are nowhere to be found on any of the US recovery ROMs. That's right, boot.bin and sbl.bin. That means if you want to recover your US SGP 4.0 after stupidly flashing an International version, it isn't going to happen. Ever. Your touchscreen and capacitive keys will never be initialized properly.

So don't do that. There is a thread on xda about this from a year ago with no solution.