android
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM

Default gps not connecting

I recently bricked my player and flashed a stock rom dump someone posted for their galaxy player 4.0 US model this seemed to work fine but now I have noticed that gps never manages to connect no matter where I am. The rom seems to be rooted as well but I don't know if this can cause anything to go wrong

Last edited by mikee; 11-20-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 PM

this is what you should be using to restore to stock http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1531850 is that what you used?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 PM

I tried using that after trying the rom dumped from another persons device. I did the one that uses odin its the only one I understand how to do. I don't think it worked though since after recovering it still had the root and superuser that the old rom did and the gps issue

Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 AM

Does it not work or does it not connect? If the former, it's probably a driver issue, which implicates the kernel. Flash the stock ROM, eryigit ROM, or just Entropy's kernel. If the latter, check the gps.conf file. It should be in system/etc

Here's more info on that particular file:
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php? t=1659426

Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 AM

PS sorry about the funky link; ABI wouldn't let me post with the proper formatting

Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 AM

doesn't connect I tried gps test and it only finds like 2 satellites no matter what I do and my galaxy tab 2 7.0 finds much more and actually makes the connection

Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 AM

wow ok I think I fixed it I tried going outside in a clear open area and it eventually made a connection and now when I come back inside I get a stable connection now...weird, I don't know what would cause that

Last edited by mikee; 11-21-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
doesn't connect I tried gps test and it only finds like 2 satellites no matter what I do and my galaxy tab 2 7.0 finds much more and actually makes the connection
how do you like the tab 2 7.0 compared to the 4.0 player? I think my sdcard slot is dieing and the preblackfriday sales have the tab 2 7" for like 180 in several places, so it in a possible budget to replace my 4.0

Quote:
wow ok I think I fixed it I tried going outside in a clear open area and it eventually made a connection and now when I come back inside I get a stable connection now...weird, I don't know what would cause that
yeah sometimes you have to get a solid outside connection the first time.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
how do you like the tab 2 7.0 compared to the 4.0 player? I think my sdcard slot is dieing and the preblackfriday sales have the tab 2 7" for like 180 in several places, so it in a possible budget to replace my 4.0
time.

It is a very nice upgrade to the sgp 4.0 all my apps run much smoother especially games likely due to the dual core processor. It is much easier to type on and the internet performs much better on the tab. On the sgp4.0 if I had too many tabs open or was trying to view embedded flash video on a site the whole thing would sometimes come to a grinding halt and randomly reset to the samsung logo. On the tab I find that I don't have to kill background apps like I did on the SGP to avoid lockups and sluggishness GPS is much more reliable too.

Don't get me wrong the SGP is still the best bang for your buck in the android pmp market but I can also say the same thing about the tab 2 7.0 in the tablet market. Some may say the nexus 7 was the best bang for your buck but I can't stand being restricted to the internal memory of 8 15 or 32gb and no rear facing camera. I use the camera to take snapshots of the board in class so I remember things

Overall, yes I would definately recommend the tab 2 as an upgrade to the SGP if you are willing to put up with a bulkier device

Old 11-22-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
It is a very nice upgrade to the sgp 4.0 all my apps run much smoother especially games likely due to the dual core processor. It is much easier to type on and the internet performs much better on the tab. On the sgp4.0 if I had too many tabs open or was trying to view embedded flash video on a site the whole thing would sometimes come to a grinding halt and randomly reset to the samsung logo. On the tab I find that I don't have to kill background apps like I did on the SGP to avoid lockups and sluggishness GPS is much more reliable too.

Don't get me wrong the SGP is still the best bang for your buck in the android pmp market but I can also say the same thing about the tab 2 7.0 in the tablet market. Some may say the nexus 7 was the best bang for your buck but I can't stand being restricted to the internal memory of 8 15 or 32gb and no rear facing camera. I use the camera to take snapshots of the board in class so I remember things

The extra bulk isn't a huge deal, I may even be looking into fabbing a flush mount in dash setup for the tab 2.
Overall, yes I would definately recommend the tab 2 as an upgrade to the SGP if you are willing to put up with a bulkier device
Thats why the Nexus line isn't even on my list, lack of expandable storage is a DEAL BREAKER, hows the sound quality compare? also how is the camera, when I try to shoot the install videos using my phone it just won't focus on the screen.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:40 AM

the audio quality I noticed to be somewhat better on the tab but it depends on the app you use for audio and headphones as well. I Have noticed that with the audio apps I used on both devices the sound is better on the tab.

As for the camera it is a single focus 3.2 MP camera just like the galaxy player but it can shoot 720p video which I haven't tried to do yet but I do use it in class because I have vision problems and take pictures of the board to see it clearly and it works well for that. Photos I would say are a tad bit better on the galaxy player though because it digitally focuses itself whereas the tab does not so some up photos might look blurrier than on the galaxy player

Old 11-22-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
the audio quality I noticed to be somewhat better on the tab but it depends on the app you use for audio and headphones as well. I Have noticed that with the audio apps I used on both devices the sound is better on the tab.

As for the camera it is a single focus 3.2 MP camera just like the galaxy player but it can shoot 720p video which I haven't tried to do yet but I do use it in class because I have vision problems and take pictures of the board to see it clearly and it works well for that. Photos I would say are a tad bit better on the galaxy player though because it digitally focuses itself whereas the tab does not so some up photos might look blurrier than on the galaxy player
I prefer Poweramp for my music and I got these Sony 10 dollar head phones that I like but mostly my music is fed into my car stereo thru the aux input, my phone is fine for pictures I just don't really like the focus issue when doing a install video. thanks for all the help.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:00 AM

another thing i should note is it uses a proprietary usb cable and not micro usb like the sgp which bummed me out a little also you cannot charge by plugging into the computer as well as many other wall chargers I have I tried about 6 different ones I had lying around and none of them worked but the one that came with it. Just don't lose the cable or the charger and you should be good

I had issues with music that I sync to it over windows media player not having their id3 tags anymore once on the device they all just said <unknown> but I now sync with kies air over wifi and it keeps the file info. I have yet to find an alternative workaround for this issue but I can live with the kies air thing

Old 11-22-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
another thing i should note is it uses a proprietary usb cable and not micro usb like the sgp which bummed me out a little also you cannot charge by plugging into the computer as well as many other wall chargers I have I tried about 6 different ones I had lying around and none of them worked but the one that came with it. Just don't lose the cable or the charger and you should be good

I had issues with music that I sync to it over windows media player not having their id3 tags anymore once on the device they all just said <unknown> but I now sync with kies air over wifi and it keeps the file info. I have yet to find an alternative workaround for this issue but I can live with the kies air thing
All my current music is on my SD card already so no big deal on the transfer, and I good with the USB cable, thats no big deal, I prefer to use the original cable for every device, I still have the proprietary cable from my samsung P2 that my 4.0 replaced, whats the power output on the wall charger, 500mA, 750mA, 1000mA (1A) or larger? IIRC my bosses Ipad was like that and wouldn't charge from the computer.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
whats the power output on the wall charger, 500mA, 750mA, 1000mA (1A) or larger? IIRC my bosses Ipad was like that and wouldn't charge from the computer.
It might be the same wall charger that I have with my tablet....the output is 2A.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It might be the same wall charger that I have with my tablet....the output is 2A.
I found someone mention it in the reviews on Amazon as being a 2A, when some idiot was trying to charge it thru USB on the computer that only does .5A damn 2A tho that is one power hungry mother even USB 3.0 port wouldn't be enough to charge it.