android
Old 11-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Exclamation Less than 500 days left for Win XP support...

Quote:
By Jack Schofield for Jack's Blog | November 23, 2012 -- 16:43 GMT (08:43 PST)
Follow @jackschofield

The countdown clock has been ticking on Windows XP for a couple of years now, but the end is coming into view. There are only 500 days to go before Microsoft ends its extended support, and that means no more patches and no more security fixes. Given that XP is not exactly famous for its security, this represents a significant risk.

However, a security breach might not be the worst of it. Journalists will be only too keen to write up the first few stories about companies whose defences are penetrated because they are still using an obsolete operating system, so the damage to their brand and reputation could be unusually large. And rather than the polite sadness that sometimes colours such stories (unlucky; could happen to anyone), victims can expect a well-deserved splattering of glee (told you so!).

Some companies could end up being sued. I would expect lawyers (I'm not one) who work in the technology scene to see the potential to profit from companies that have done the security equivalent of "driving without due care and attention" when looking after their data.

If you're not sure how long you have left, Camwood has provided a countdown-clock for XP. I hope you don't need it.
http://www.zdnet.com/windows-xp-is-a...go-7000007838/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 PM

There's been two upgrade choices for a while and now there's a third (for the brave).

Probably the bigger problem's going to be the 2003 end of support (7/14/2015) for those who've not yet been motivated to move (despite the original EOL in 2013).

Old 11-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I am quite content with Windows 7 and have no plans to go to Windows 8. And I made the jump from XP to 7, bypassing Vista.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Personally, I like Windows 8. The new interface needs some getting used to, but now, I don't even think about it anymore. Plus my computer is faster . I plan on getting it in December. Like Marvin, I skipped Vista completely.

I suspect though that not many businesses will go to Windows 8. Windows 7 is still more updated and more familiar....so it'll probably become the next XP. Many companies have already upgraded, but not all, sadly.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Redneck Moderator

I'm going to be switching over to windows 8 today probably. I can make the layout exactly like how I have it on windows 7, and it runs much faster than windows 7 does. I also like how much more info it provides when transferring files, or from the task manager.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 11-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I'm going to be switching over to windows 8 today probably. I can make the layout exactly like how I have it on windows 7, and it runs much faster than windows 7 does. I also like how much more info it provides when transferring files, or from the task manager.
There's many good under the hood improvements on Windows 8. That's why I'm upgrading also.

Retired Devices:

Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Personally, I like Windows 8. The new interface needs some getting used to, but now, I don't even think about it anymore. Plus my computer is faster . I plan on getting it in December. Like Marvin, I skipped Vista completely.

I suspect though that not many businesses will go to Windows 8. Windows 7 is still more updated and more familiar....so it'll probably become the next XP. Many companies have already upgraded, but not all, sadly.
Another XP -> 7 user here.

I think the reason why XP and 7 are so well liked is that in both cases they're following a version of Windows that's well disliked (ME, Vista respectively). That being said, 8 is in a bit of a tough spot. If it isn't the interface that puts people off, it's the fact that people already like 7 enough. So it's going to be hard to convince people to switch. Funny that Microsoft always has to compete with itself.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I'm going to be switching over to windows 8 today ...
I'll probably be a year behind you And I'm surprised you're not moving on adding this service quickly. Heck you can only do so many soldering jobs but if you support XP you'll have to quit your construction job

Currently running:
1 machine win 98
2 machines XP Pro
1 machine Vista
2 machines Win 7

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 11-26-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Also, if Windows 8 cost the same that Windows 7 did, then I probably wouldn't upgrade. The $70 is a really good deal.

In my house this is what I have:
4 Windows 7 (one my desktop which will be upgraded)
1 Windows XP

Retired Devices: