android
Old 12-01-2012, 05:50 PM

Whats it about?

Can get an iaudio 10 32GB for only $200 so keen if the battery life is good.

Heard 29 hours on the 9, is that about right?

Does it sync up with media monkey ok?

I want to use MM to make playlists.

Last edited by skip252; 12-01-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: posts merged, please edit consecutive posts

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Administrator

I get ~20-22 hrs. of the rated 29 hrs. with my i9. I got mine used so I'm not sure how that would compare to a new one.

The few times I tried it with MediaMonkey the results depended on the USB transfer mode. Synced worked decently in MTP mode. The files synced reliably and the playlists I synced over worked as expected.

File transfer worked in MSC but the .m3u playlists created by MM showed up blank. The same playlists saved as EXTM3U by either XMPlay or MusicBee worked so I think MediaMonkey saving them as standard .m3u was the problem.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The playlists on a Cowon are always blank when you sync then via msc mode with MediaMonkey, J.River, etc. Otherwise they work fine off of the internal memory.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Administrator

MusicBee can sync a .m3u playlist and it's contents to a Cowon and everything works. That can even include auto-converting if that's what you have set in your preferences.

Remember the time you were looking for a way to sync your iTunes playlists and I recommended Amok Playlist Copy? I hadn't found out how capable a piece of software MusicBee was then.

Instead of all that farting around all you need to do is export the playlist to the place you have MusicBee monitor. If your preferences are set right all you need to do is open MusicBee and wait a bit. Once it's done the files are transferred and there's a working playlist in place.

Considering how many other media library softwares can't do all that in either the free or paid version that makes MusicBee the go to software if use sync.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I get ~20-22 hrs. of the rated 29 hrs. with my i9. I got mine used so I'm not sure how that would compare to a new one.

The few times I tried it with MediaMonkey the results depended on the USB transfer mode. Synced worked decently in MTP mode. The files synced reliably and the playlists I synced over worked as expected.
Thanks.

Is it easy to use?

UI ok, or poor?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
MusicBee can sync a .m3u playlist and it's contents to a Cowon and everything works. That can even include auto-converting if that's what you have set in your preferences.
Thanks, DL it now.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I actually just export my Genius Playlists to a folder on my desktop (5 seconds a piece), drag & drop 'em into MediaMonkey, then I sync them to the D2+, S639, etc. I just use internal memory to avoid issue with the memory card.

PS: I'm downloading Windows 8 right now - wish meh luck!!!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Administrator

The UI on the i9 is the least intuitive of any I've used. It's the only player I've ever had where I actually had to print the manual and keep a copy with me for a few days to access the options I wanted in a reasonable period of time. There's option inside options, the graphics and icons don't make a lot of sense until you get used to them, there's places that look identical to one another and what you can do in one place can't be accessed the the other. It sometimes feels like it was designed by some type of madman that didn't really want you using the damn thing.

Now that I've said that I'll say I'm really glad I stuck with it. The touchpad is fast and responsive. The sound quality is as good as anything I've heard most of the time. There is some hiss with very sensitive, low impedance IEMs but nothing I find objectionable. The BBE effects can be overwhelming if you get them wrong but a little done the right way lets me know how Cowon got the reputation for sound it has. Volume matched against another good player I can't hear a difference but once I turn on the BBE effects it steps up in a way that really pleases my ears.

I think at least part of why the UI is as complex as it is results from there being so much stuffed into it that they had to assign different functions to different areas to be able to fit everything in using the limited controls. It reminds me of Rockbox in that way. A rockboxed sansa can do so much more than what was originally intended the keymap can be more than a bit confusing until you get used to the internal conventions used to allow you to access the functions you need.

I have no problems recommending one as long as you understand going in it probably won't be easy getting comfortable with the UI. If you're willing to do that I think you'll find it's an excellent player.

Last edited by skip252; 12-01-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
The UI on the i9 is the least intuitive of any I've

I have no problems recommending one as long as you understand going in it probably won't be easy getting comfortable with the UI. If you're willing to do that I think you'll find it's an excellent player.
Awesome, thanks mate.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The UI on the i9 is the least intuitive of any I've used. It's the only player I've ever had where I actually had to print the manual and keep a copy with me for a few days to access the options I wanted in a reasonable period of time. There's option inside options, the graphics and icons don't make a lot of sense until you get used to them, there's places that look identical to one another and what you can do in one place can't be accessed the the other. It sometimes feels like it was designed by some type of madman that didn't really want you using the damn thing.
Agreed 100%
Quote:
Now that I've said that I'll say I'm really glad I stuck with it. The touchpad is fast and responsive. The sound quality is as good as anything I've heard most of the time. There is some hiss with very sensitive, low impedance IEMs but nothing I find objectionable. The BBE effects can be overwhelming if you get them wrong but a little done the right way lets me know how Cowon got the reputation for sound it has. Volume matched against another good player I can't hear a difference but once I turn on the BBE effects it steps up in a way that really pleases my ears.
It is the best working touchpad I have used.....light-years better than the Fuze+, and better than the Samsung Q2 because of the adjustable sensitivity.
And yes, the sound is really good, assuming restraint is used with the DSP settings.
Quote:
I think at least part reason why the UI is as complex as it is results from there being so much stuffed into it that they had to assign different functions to different areas to be able to fit everything in using the limited controls. It reminds me of Rockbox in that way. A rockboxed sansa can do so much more than what was originally intended the keymap can be more than a bit confusing until you get used to the internal conventions used to allow you to access the functions you need.

Well said! If it had been my only player when I had it, I would have been forced to use it more and the controls would have sunk in more. But at the time, I had several players that were much easier to use, so I never overcame my annoyance at the UI. That said, I am glad that I had it, so that I could see what all the fuss was about with the Cowon players.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:51 PM

Have a Fuze+ and it is the worst UI ever.

Slow, unresponsive, and poor battery life to boot.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaseven View Post

Rockbox helps it somewhat.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Have you Rockboxed it? Here's a review, if you haven't seen it already: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71209

Old 12-01-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Rockbox helps it somewhat.
The UI or the battery life?

I only use if for the gym now as I would have to recharge it every day at work.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The UI or the battery life?

I only use if for the gym now as I would have to recharge it every day at work.
It's easier to control with Rockbox. Battery life, I couldn't say....I never used mine for more than a few hours at a time.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 PM

The problem with mine is more the touch buttons being slow and unresponsive.

UI is not good either, but the buttons often do not respond at all.