android
Old 12-07-2012, 11:57 AM

Default Updating database. Bricked COWON X7

So after the last player bricked, I got a second COWON X7 back in July 2012. It has worked on-and-off for the past few months.

Today after a music update, it has decided to stay on the halfway mark of 'updating database' for the past three hours. Have tried the reset button nearly thirty times, nothing. I have tried to plug into the PC via usb and get no drive on My Computer. I have resetted the machine while it has been plugged into the usb cable.

I am hoping it decides to wake up before the battery drains, as I can only chrge it through the usb and it looks like I might not be able to do that afterward. My power cable jack is faulty thus cannot be used to charge the player.

I have read afew threads into this issue, though I cannot seem to get my player back to life, and the only solution seems to be contacted COWON, only to have the player sent off, and the 160GB model has been discontinued. I doubt I will be able to have a refund from Amazon either.

On that note are there any recommendations for a high storage music player similar to the cowon x7? The market seems to be filled with more flash players with extendable storage...but are there any to surpass the 160GB Cowon x7?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 AM

Hey Ryufan,

I had the same issue as you only after having the X7 less than 24 hours after transferring my whole music library through a media application (MusicBee). It seems to not like that so it got stuck on "updating database" and like you, I could not get it to work no matter how many times I pressed the reset button.

Eventually though, it magically decided to work by doing this: " I pressed the reset button first to make sure it was completely off, then I press and held the reset button down whilst it was off then powered it up. That's all I did and it worked. " Although, to be honest, I think it was pure coincidence and 'magic' that it managed to work for me. It just seems like it picks and chooses when it wants to work or not. Here's the full thread I posted awhile back: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71271

FYI the reset button doesn't actually reset the device, all it does is disconnect the power, so don't expect it to be a magic revive button.

Failing my advice, you could also try the advice found on this thread to see if it resolves your issue: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71776

As for another high capacity PMP, there are Archos tablet/PMP's which offer up to 500GB in storage, although I believe they are old and outdated now and don't offer much in terms of sound quality. I can't remember the model numbers off the top of my head without doing a google search. I hope all of this helps anyway!